Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-16-2013, 09:46 PM   #1
dkdariusz885

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2LT RS, Convertible.
Lightbulb Camaro V6 ACM Exhaust Mod w/ Secondary Cat Delete

Just had this done today with AutoCouture Motoring in Fairlawn, NJ. They worked on all my previous cars including a 2012 E92 M3.

Basically a secondary cat delete with a mod to the stock mufflers where most of the internals are bypassed and therefor you get a straight pipe set-up through the stock muffler. Also had my mufflers painted black as to make them invisible from the rear.

Not only do you get a deeper and appropriate exhaust note, but also roughly 15 extra HP, estimated.

The whole mod is cheap and the results speak for themselves, watch and judge.

dkdariusz885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #2
SoCalThug

Drives: 2012 Summit White 1Ls
15 hp? Wheres the dyno sheet? Those stock mufflers are still really heavy compared to aftermarket systems. Cool vids it seems your mod really woke up the stock mufflers
SoCalThug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #3
dkdariusz885

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalThug View Post
15 hp? Wheres the dyno sheet? Those stock mufflers are still really heavy compared to aftermarket systems. Cool vids it seems your mod really woke up the stock mufflers
I just did the Mod today, the HP "estimate" is just that. Secondary cats are far less restrictive than primaries, but on average reduce HP output by 10 (give or take) HP. A less restrictive muffler adds a little power too, hence the estimate based on a professional tuning and modding company. Could be more, could be less. And yes, they are heavy, but maintain a stock look and cheaper than buying aftermarket mufflers.
Old 04-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #4
dkdariusz885

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 04-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #5
TheShowStopperLFX

Drives: 2012 LFX
Nice Pictures what what are you actally deleteing the Muffler or the cats and from where to where. if i am right. We have 4 cats, 2 baffles and then the 2 Mufflers
TheShowStopperLFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #6
dkdariusz885

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShowStopperLFX View Post
Nice Pictures what what are you actally deleteing the Muffler or the cats and from where to where. if i am right. We have 4 cats, 2 baffles and then the 2 Mufflers
Yes, the secondary or rear smaller cats were deleted and replaced with straight pipe leaving only the forward 2 primary cats. The mufflers are still there, but now modified to be free flowing which makes them sound better and frees up a lil more HP.
Old 04-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #7
gt73

Drives: 2015 Z28 Vin #18
I did the same with my secondary cats and added Borla mufflers ( axle back of course) ..... in addition, I added a CAI . Needless to say, I'm very happy with the improved sound. Not sure about the hp gain but not sure I would really notice
gt73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #8
dkdariusz885

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt73 View Post
I did the same with my secondary cats and added Borla mufflers ( axle back of course) ..... in addition, I added a CAI . Needless to say, I'm very happy with the improved sound. Not sure about the hp gain but not sure I would really notice
Old 04-20-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
skibik

Drives: bbbbbb
I never heard of this car having 4 cats. I think what you are calling the secondary cats are the resonators. The only sets of cats, one on each side, are between the two O2 sensors on each side below where it mounts to the head. There is actually 2 sets of resonators in the system. A set behind the cats and another set right behind the H-pipe, or at least I think they are behind the H-pipe and not in front of. Been a while since I been under the car.

Dean.
skibik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
dkdariusz885

V6 camaro has 4 cats. 2 primaries off the headers followed immediately by 2 secondaries. The resonators are the bigger looking cans in the middle of the car. I have pics I can upload if the secondary cats removed. They are cats for sure, 200 cel by the looks of it.
Old 04-20-2013, 03:05 PM   #11
dkdariusz885

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibik View Post
I never heard of this car having 4 cats. I think what you are calling the secondary cats are the resonators. The only sets of cats, one on each side, are between the two O2 sensors on each side below where it mounts to the head. There is actually 2 sets of resonators in the system. A set behind the cats and another set right behind the H-pipe, or at least I think they are behind the H-pipe and not in front of. Been a while since I been under the car.

Dean.

V6 camaro has 4 cats. 2 primaries off the headers followed immediately by 2 secondaries. The resonators are the bigger looking cans in the middle of the car. I have pics I can upload if the secondary cats removed. They are cats for sure, 200 cel by the looks of it.
Old 04-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #12
skibik

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkdariusz885 View Post
The ones behind the cats are resonators. Below is a picture of the HFC's from Solo and they have installed a bigger resonator then the factory had. The smaller one on each pipe is the cat as you can see a threaded bung on each side of it for two O2 sensors, behind the rear O2 sensor is a longer looking bigger pipe but that is a resonator not a cat. The stock cats have the same set up on the resonator on the stock is a lot smaller. But if you wish to call it a cat that is fine but I would not eliminate either of the 2 sets of resonators on my exhaust due to the sound of rasp and drone.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:00 PM   #13
skibik

BTW, does your state have emission inspections on vehicles? If they were cats and you just eliminated half of them you are probably not going to pass emission testing. Just a thought.

Dean.

Last edited by skibik; 04-21-2013 at 09:56 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:31 PM   #14
SgtPickles69
Team LFX

Drives: Fast
Does anyone know if deleting the smaller cats voids your warranty? Thx.
SgtPickles69 is offline   Reply With Quote