Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-28-2011, 11:37 AM   #85
LAWMAN

Drives: 2010 cam.2ss/rs.iom,07'escalade esv
pissing people off is what their intentions were,BUT what they have done is steal $47,000,000 worth items
1100:12/19/08
3800:06/19/09
6000:07/02/09
LAWMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:40 AM   #86
Mankind
Whats a Millwright?

Drives: 2LT/RS SIM, 05 Wht Denali
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourhounds View Post
It's the UNION .. . . . . . .
So, just for giggles, say you make 50k a year. With a stroke of a pen from someone sitting in an office you now make 40k a year. And apparently you are fine with that happening to you? Dont blame the union, they kept that from happening to those drivers. Blame the company, they made the decision to hold the cars.
Mankind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 11:48 AM   #87
Revolution
Owner of RRW

Drives: 12 ZL1 A6 white and 64 nova ss
I read this whole thread and the situation stinks for sure. For all parties involved truck drivers GM and for the customers. What's most disturbing is with the economy and the way it is people hear union and go on the attack right away that the union is the fault for it all. I think everyone here is smart enough to know that we don't get or know the "whole" story. The truth of the matter is without labor unions nothing would be getting done the way it is today. If you want unskilled labor assembling your cars delivering them and working on them then that's your deal. The truth of the matter is at the end of the day the man that does a fair days work deserves a fair days pay all politics aside. If big business had it their way everyone would work for minimum wage with zero bennies. The only thing saving the little guy is the unions. And even the non union guys benefit from it, no one can hire a non union mechanic at 8 bucks an hour and get the same work you would of a well trained union guy at 30 bucks an hour. This goes with every part of our economy.

I could go on and on but I don't think this is the right forum for it. I just hope more people open up their eyes and instead of finding one entity to blame they look at the big picture.

I hope this gets cleared up fast.
Old 03-28-2011, 11:52 AM   #88
O2BQIK

Drives: 1991 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankind View Post
So, just for giggles, say you make 50k a year. With a stroke of a pen from someone sitting in an office you now make 40k a year. And apparently you are fine with that happening to you? Dont blame the union, they kept that from happening to those drivers. Blame the company, they made the decision to hold the cars.
You guys keep saying stuff like "and you'd be fine with that??" Nobody's saying it's fun to take a pay cut. Those of us with common sense and dignity are saying we'd rather make $40k a year (as per your example) than drive the company out of business, myself out of a job, and impact innocent bystanders for my own personal gain. Now I don't know anything about Allied, and I'm not saying the management team is not at fault here. But I am saying that times are tough all around, and lots of people are having to take pay cuts. I guarantee none of them are "fine with that." But it's better than being out of a job, and it's sure as hell better than making my problem someone else's problem (such as what happens when airline pilots, taxi drivers, and truck drivers strike). I just see that as a very self-centered view of things...that my paycheck is more important than all these travelers getting to where they paid to go (case of airline pilots). I find that morally wrong, and could never be a party to that kind of thing. Just my humble opinion.
Old 03-28-2011, 12:04 PM   #89
cmore

Drives: 2011 Victory Red Auto 2SS
We live in a some what free enterprise system. So if Allied doesn't want or can't honor their contract, they are free to go out of business. Unless their costs are cut, I guess they are headed for bankruptcy. Part of those costs are in driver pay. If they go out of business, they won't be needing drivers. I guess a 80% loaf is worse than a 0% loaf. I lost my job to China and the next job I found cost me way over a 20% cut.

The business leaders are no more entitled to outrageous pay than the union leaders and some union workers. Both are greedy and only out to fill their pockets.
cmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:05 PM   #90
Mankind
Whats a Millwright?

Drives: 2LT/RS SIM, 05 Wht Denali
I know noone wants a paycut. I know noone is "okay" with it. 20% is outrageous and just maybe the Union would have been more receptive than they were to 20%. Not taking a 20% cut will not drive Allied out of business either. Just don't think it was fair, Union or non-union, to want 20%. I was a victim of 7%. It is not the union's fault that GM decided no to pay the fuel surcharge and that Allied decided to park the cars. Why blame the union for this situation?
Mankind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:07 PM   #91
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
. The truth of the matter is without labor unions nothing would be getting done the way it is today.
no enough water in the world to make me swallow this. I know people that have worked in labor for one year and are excellent, skilled, non-union workers, and know "union-skilled" workers in the force for 10 years that can't turn a screw.

"This goes with every part of our economy". I don't think so, not like that in the IT world. Look at these teenagers coming out of highschool, creating games, programs, applications that people from college or companies have no idea how to code. It's a skill and skill is not necessarily measured in "years in the business".
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:39 PM   #92
revwriter311
WHO DAT

Drives: 2011 IOM Camaro
When people said rising fuel prices would kill off the muscle car, I doubt they pictured this scenario.
revwriter311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #93
5THGENRS

Drives: 2010 IOM 2LT RS, 08 IOM G8 GT, 87ta
Man im glad i got my camaro when i did, i feel for everyone that has their car being held hostage. Nothing worse than being in a situation and knowing that there is nothing you can do about it besides sitting and waiting it out to see what the outcome will be. Times are hard and if no one is willing to budge, even though 20% is ridiculous, then its just a big domino effect.

Allied decided to cut their employees pay by 20% to avoid going bankrupt and in response to that the employees threatened to strike. So then Allied needed to get the money from somewhere so then they tried to impose a fuel surcharge to the automakers. The automakers are basically forced into a new contract with terms that they deem "wholly unacceptable" especially since they are currently already under contract. So we are at a stand still and the customers are stuck in the middle of this dispute

I think the company is mostly at fault here if i read everything correctly when GM had a contract and then the company goes and rips it up and says this is how its going to be. The company should of protected themselves with a clause of fuel prices going up and maybe they should of asked for a more reasonable cut like 5% and then the company could of took the rest of the cut themselves until they can negotiate another contract.

Not good for anyone bc Allied probably wont survive this situation and employees will loose their jobs as well as ruin their reputation. Taking the vehicles hostage is a very extreme act of protest, not a good idea for lawsuit reasons but they did get everyones attention.

I maybe wrong about somethings bc i dont entirely understand everything that goes on business wise with a situation like this. Have to keep this thread update with current events to see how long this plays out.
2500 = Preferenced (1/12/2010)
3000 = Accepted by Production (1/13/2010) TPW = (2/8/2010)
3100 = Sequenced (1/29/2010)
3300 = Scheduled (1/29/2010)
3400 = Broadcast (1/29/2010)
3800 = Produced (2/10/2010) VIN # 2G1FG1EVXA9192608
4150 = Invoiced (2/11/2010)
4200 = Shipped (2/12/2010)
5000 = Delivered to Dealer (2/24/2010)
6000 = Delivered to Customer (3/1/2010)

Last edited by 5THGENRS; 03-29-2011 at 11:12 PM.
5THGENRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:49 PM   #94
GTAwheelman

Drives: 1985 Camaro Sport Coupe
yeah this is how you get return business or new business, keep customers property and not let it go.

i guess this company wants to go out of business.
GTAwheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #95
PINKED

Drives: '11 Triple Black 2SS/RS Vert
I don't care who is at fault. I JUST WANT MY CAR!!!!! It's been sitting in Dearborn, MI for 14 days now. My biggest question is (besides when I will get my car) is GM going to be doing anything for their customers who have been affected by this?
4//13/11 (5000) - Delivered!
PINKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #96
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by L05ER View Post
$100 was my wild estimate based on what i have seen of ~$1000 delivery costs on a car.

you are talking less than 1% of the sale price of the car... yes over time as a contract it adds up. prices rise, it's a fact of life. GM was dealing with them for a reason , which is *more than likely* that they offered the best deal on the last contract.

i never said GM should just bend over and take it. i said pay it and FIND ANOTHER SHIPPER. this sends the message to me that GM cares more for a fraction of a percentage point than they do for providing customers with what they paid for. NEVER a good view point for a customer to have.

perception is reality, and for a company... customer perception is EVERYTHING.

WOW - didn't have time to read thru this entire thread - just the first couple of posts and the last couple...........

Hire another shipper? - not quite that simple - as there aren't any companies out there with thousands upon thousands of car carriers just sitting there awaiting someone to hire them............think about it for a minute.....

I am not involved in this dispute (and glad that I'm not........) but I DO know this: NOTHING is ever as easy as it seems - TRUST ME!
Old 03-28-2011, 01:42 PM   #97
Mark Myles

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM / Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmore View Post
The business leaders are no more entitled to outrageous pay than the union leaders and some union workers. Both are greedy and only out to fill their pockets.
This.

I'm all for a business owner or CEO to make as much money as they can or would like but, damn, how much is enough..?

Does the CEO "need" that 20 million dollar bonus each year, or could he survive on a 5 million dollar bonus each year..?..I mean C'mon Man! A business owner doesn't need to be a greedy whore to survive, but a lot of today's CEO's seem to think so. Yeah, I could strip my business financially and walk away to, but why..?

Then we have the unions. Squeeze the corporate big wigs with all their might. Non-union workers have a very hard time listening to all the "crying" from union workers on how they're so "under paid"....please. Non-union workers are sick of listening to all the stories on how "their buddy clocked them in at work so they could take off Friday (while getting paid) and head to their cabin up North". Or how everyone would sit around playing cards all day while getting paid. The regular working man does not feel your pain and frankly resents the crying.

Just envision this fantasy: Say a corporate CEO is set to receive a 20 million dollar bonus at the end of the year. Rather than take the full 20 million dollars (because the CEO doesn’t want to look like a greedy whore) the CEO only takes a 5 million dollar bonus (still a whore). He then authorizes the disbursement of the remaining 15 million equally to all the employees!! Can you imagine how much money would be flushed through the U.S.? Oh that's right, it would only make sense.

I’m sick of all the greed. It's gotten so bad in the past 15 years.

I would like to hand both Corporate and the Unions a Great Big Crowbar and ask that they use it to pry their heads out of their..

M
Mark Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:45 PM   #98
CamaroRS/SS10

Drives: '13 Hot Wheels & '14 Z/28
Why should GM give you something because of what someone else is doing? Thats real smart! This is already costing GM millions in sales. They can't give you something because of someone else! Only makes cents (Sorry had to use that pun).
2013 Hot Wheels Camaro #63 SS 6-Speed. All stock and keeping it that way.

2014 Z/28 #119 A/C car(not by choice, ordered wrong) All stock and plan to keep it that way. The kid in me wants to mod the Hell out of it but the adult says it will be worth more years down the road. The 2 of them need to stop fighting!
1983 Chevrolet C10 lowered and restoring.
1986 Chevrolet K10 6 in lift, 35's,restored daily driver for my son.
2013 Hot Wheels Camaro. Life Size Toy..
2014 Z/28 my weekend stress reliever!
2015 Checy Sonic RS
2015 Chevy Equinox
CamaroRS/SS10 is offline   Reply With Quote