Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-12-2011, 03:05 PM   #1
fiascoes1
SoCalRaceTeam new-b!

Drives: 2012 ZL1/WHITE/BLACK STRIPE
2013 convertible zl1

How many of you guys plan on holding out for the convertible now that it was announced? Who has changed their mind from the zl1 coupe to the vert? And what about the guys who were planning on getting ss verts cause there were no zl1 verts annoucements?

Last edited by fiascoes1; 10-12-2011 at 03:14 PM. Reason: forgot something
fiascoes1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 03:12 PM   #2
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiascoes1 View Post
How many of you guys plan on holding out for the convertible now that it was announced? Who has changed their mind from the zl1 coupe to the vert?
Coupe is the only way to go for me, but that's only because I love the lines the car has. I mean Chevy did a great job of preserving them the best they could but nothing beats the look of the coupe.

Plus convertibles are girls cars.

All respect to those who love them though
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
I already have a 11 2SS/RS Vert, but I already had my dealer put me on the list for a ZL1-Vert.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:14 PM   #4
91Z28350

Drives: 2012 GT500 SVTPP 2010 Traverse LTZ
Coupe here, not really a fan of the lines of a convertible. But, that being said, I am glad they are making them for those who wanted one!!
91Z28350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
1BADZL1
THE CAMARO KING

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 on order #PZSD7S
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
I sat in a yellow SS vert on the showroom floor few weeks back. I posted some photos on here. I remember my thought process fairly well on this.
Since I was in the showroom waiting on a dealer to discuss ZL1, my dealer had some other customers they were helping out. As I waited, the eye candy of the yellow and black caught my eye. I had to sit in a vert with the top down. This was my chance and probably my only chance right?
Anyway, I grabbed the outer door handle. ( I knew it would be locked and I was right it was) I grab the door handle and since it was locked, being the person I am decided I did not want to disturb all the busy salesmen on the show room floor as they were all as busy as bees trying to work and do daily jobs. No matter. I reached inside, grabbed the inner handle and unlocked the dooer and the door opened. Yup. You got it. The alarm went off inside the show room. No worries I am not stealing the car right?
So you would think one of the dealers would be prepared for idiots like me doing this sort of thing but I guess not. They never did turn the alarm off, and eventually it went off on its own after about 3 min or so.
Once I was in the car, I was in heaven! YUP!
Very very nice to say the least. But while I do like it, I did not LOVE it LOVE it...know what I am saying.. So my thought was this..why don't "I" love it?
I looked deep in myself... I am old school. I have had 14 camaros before.
FAST extremely fast camaros btw. But there was something that did not do it for me. I knew this car was fast. It wasnt about that. It was not about not having perma grin.. As I did have the grin...
I currently own a 85 Z28 convertible ( yes it is a conversion) but anyhoo...
I felt much at home like I do in my 85.... Once you drive in it with the top down the new or "coolness" of it will wear off after a bit. You mightas well buy a boat if you want the "top down look."
MHOO. I sat there... something was buggin me down in my soul as I sat there in this extremely nice car. Was the car too good for me was that it?
Neh. That wasn't it. Am I just getting old, was that it? Neh, that was not it either... Now keep in mind I am asking myself ( i started out wanting a ZL1 vert) do I REALLY REALLY need or want a vert and WHY do I now want one.
As the above person mentioned. It felt "feminine" to me.
I actually felt like I was in a car that would be subtle for my mom, my wife, girl friend etc. I really did. It did not have the "man cave" feel that I so desperately crave. If I bought a vert, I have no doubt in my mind my future wife (whomever that may be) would be trying to talk me out of the vert eventually.
Plus, Chevy has not adressed all of the other concerns with the top issue.
My 85 vert that I have now? It has been stored in and out of a garage since 1986... It has had 4 tops on it. It is now due for another one as the stitching has lost its stitch over the last 10 years. That car while an eye catcher...
You cannot enjoy it because of the top. You really cant. You have to worry about fabric fading, bird pooh getting on it, tears in the canvas, stitching coming un done, rear glass/plastic issues... Harder to see out of with the top up and on and on. Again, for those that want a vert, please do not let me discourage you in any way from getting one. This car the 2013 is by far the best eye candy on C5 right now in MHO. It really is...
But its simply not for me. Has nothing to do with money or anything like that.
I simply do not want to have any regrets down the road with a vert.
My bro has a 99 SVT cobra vert that he has had since new. He has no issue or regrets about the top. I hope that everyone on here that buys the 2013 vert will have no issues or regrets too. Maybe then I may re consider.. but its hard top for me guys and gals!
1000 Initial Order 11/11/2011 Chevyland
1100 Order accepted at dealer: 11/11/2011 - PZSD7S
2000 Order accepted by GM: 12/14/2011
3000 Accepted By Production Control: 00/00/2011 - TPW 00/00/2011
3100 Sequenced: 00/00/2011
3300 Scheduled For Production:0/0/2012
3400 Broadcast: 0/0/2012
3800 Produced: 0/0/2012
4000 Available To Ship: 0/0/2012
4200 Shipped: 0/0/2012
5000 Delivered To The Dealer: 0/0/2012
6000 Delivered To Customer:0/0/2012
1BADZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:36 PM   #6
MR 45TH

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I will be waiting. I know the vert will add some weight but it just looks to good!
Old 10-13-2011, 12:09 AM   #7
fiascoes1
SoCalRaceTeam new-b!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The IOM Ninja View Post
Coupe is the only way to go for me, but that's only because I love the lines the car has. I mean Chevy did a great job of preserving them the best they could but nothing beats the look of the coupe.

All respect to those who love them though
Old 10-13-2011, 12:15 AM   #8
fiascoes1
SoCalRaceTeam new-b!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY68RS View Post
I sat in a yellow SS vert on the showroom floor few weeks back. I posted some photos on here. I remember my thought process fairly well on this.
Since I was in the showroom waiting on a dealer to discuss ZL1, my dealer had some other customers they were helping out. As I waited, the eye candy of the yellow and black caught my eye. I had to sit in a vert with the top down. This was my chance and probably my only chance right?
Anyway, I grabbed the outer door handle. ( I knew it would be locked and I was right it was) I grab the door handle and since it was locked, being the person I am decided I did not want to disturb all the busy salesmen on the show room floor as they were all as busy as bees trying to work and do daily jobs. No matter. I reached inside, grabbed the inner handle and unlocked the dooer and the door opened. Yup. You got it. The alarm went off inside the show room. No worries I am not stealing the car right?
So you would think one of the dealers would be prepared for idiots like me doing this sort of thing but I guess not. They never did turn the alarm off, and eventually it went off on its own after about 3 min or so.
Once I was in the car, I was in heaven! YUP!
Very very nice to say the least. But while I do like it, I did not LOVE it LOVE it...know what I am saying.. So my thought was this..why don't "I" love it?
I looked deep in myself... I am old school. I have had 14 camaros before.
FAST extremely fast camaros btw. But there was something that did not do it for me. I knew this car was fast. It wasnt about that. It was not about not having perma grin.. As I did have the grin...
I currently own a 85 Z28 convertible ( yes it is a conversion) but anyhoo...
I felt much at home like I do in my 85.... Once you drive in it with the top down the new or "coolness" of it will wear off after a bit. You mightas well buy a boat if you want the "top down look."
MHOO. I sat there... something was buggin me down in my soul as I sat there in this extremely nice car. Was the car too good for me was that it?
Neh. That wasn't it. Am I just getting old, was that it? Neh, that was not it either... Now keep in mind I am asking myself ( i started out wanting a ZL1 vert) do I REALLY REALLY need or want a vert and WHY do I now want one.
As the above person mentioned. It felt "feminine" to me.
I actually felt like I was in a car that would be subtle for my mom, my wife, girl friend etc. I really did. It did not have the "man cave" feel that I so desperately crave. If I bought a vert, I have no doubt in my mind my future wife (whomever that may be) would be trying to talk me out of the vert eventually.
Plus, Chevy has not adressed all of the other concerns with the top issue.
My 85 vert that I have now? It has been stored in and out of a garage since 1986... It has had 4 tops on it. It is now due for another one as the stitching has lost its stitch over the last 10 years. That car while an eye catcher...
You cannot enjoy it because of the top. You really cant. You have to worry about fabric fading, bird pooh getting on it, tears in the canvas, stitching coming un done, rear glass/plastic issues... Harder to see out of with the top up and on and on. Again, for those that want a vert, please do not let me discourage you in any way from getting one. This car the 2013 is by far the best eye candy on C5 right now in MHO. It really is...
But its simply not for me. Has nothing to do with money or anything like that.
I simply do not want to have any regrets down the road with a vert.
My bro has a 99 SVT cobra vert that he has had since new. He has no issue or regrets about the top. I hope that everyone on here that buys the 2013 vert will have no issues or regrets too. Maybe then I may re consider.. but its hard top for me guys and gals!
Not to mention the cost, that will probably be close to 70k out the door. I have never had a convertible, so i dont know what it would be like? I just really love the look of the reverse mohawk with the stripe! I am grateful for you guys that can enjoy your verts now
Old 10-13-2011, 12:19 AM   #9
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
I would have seriously considered a ZL1 vert when I ordered Ginger, but for me $44k out the door was the most I have ever paid for a car and I don't think i could stomach $60k+ out the door. I'm more of a drag racer than a road course guy and the ZL1 just won't have the 1/4 mile performance I'm after.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #10
Vyscera

Drives: 07 K2500HD
Why would it be at $70K? The Vert is only 5k more on the 2SS, which is a small price to pay for the, IMO, better experience. But I'm a biker too, so feeling the wind is what I'm about. Skipping on a couple of the other options would make that up pretty easy.
Vyscera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:32 AM   #11
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
I would have seriously considered a ZL1 vert when I ordered Ginger, but for me $44k out the door was the most I have ever paid for a car and I don't think i could stomach $60k+ out the door. I'm more of a drag racer than a road course guy and the ZL1 just won't have the 1/4 mile performance I'm after.
There is a direct correlation between performance and money invested.

Many people have a budget within which they must stay. Therefore, for some it makes sense to start with an LS and then increase performance as one is able. For others it makes sense to start with an SS and then increase performance. Others will start with a ZL1 and then increase performance. In general, it's most effective to start with the highest performance OEM vehicle that one can afford, and then use that base palette as a starting point for performance improvements.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:43 AM   #12
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
When I first bought my Vert, I contimplated installing a supercharger right from the start, but then there are factory warranties to consider, and installing a supercharger would void the power train warranty.
Granted some shops that install mods like a SC will provide their own warranty, but it was enough for me to decide not to go that route.
Now that GM is making a Vert WITH a supercharger along with all the other performance enhancements including the mag suspension and the PTM, and it's ALL covered by the manufacturers warranty, what's not to like.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 09:56 AM   #13
OldJedi
Use the Force

Drives: 2015 Corvette Z51, 2018 Porsche GTS
Send a message via AIM to OldJedi
I have never been a convertible type of guy, I am just not going to drive with the top down when it is 97 degrees and 97% humidity outside. However, I do not mind early morning or late evening drives for moderate distances. My wife on the other hand saw the ZL1 vert and loved it. Which was interesting because she is only so-so about the coupe saying it is your car, get what you want. So maybe I will get her a Gen6 Camaro Convertible a few years from now. Time will tell.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #14
GoldenBear
Bear Backer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28, 69 Corvette Conv
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldJedi View Post
I am just not going to drive with the top down when it is 97 degrees and 97% humidity outside.
I understand. Being a California native, I don't think I'd be able to handle 97% humidity either. Perfect top down convertible weather is about 75 degrees with about 30% humidity.
Current Chevrolets: 1969 Camaro Z/28 -- 1969 427/390 Corvette Convertible -- 1970 350/300 Corvette Convertible -- 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible -- CRT / Exposed CF Weave Hood Insert / Suede Package / Polished Wheels / MN6
GoldenBear is offline   Reply With Quote