Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-25-2016, 02:17 PM   #1
Orange 2010 Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
HAS ANYONE USED THIS GAUGE POD FROM AUTO METER?

I am adding a couple of after market gauges to my 2010 SS Camaro & was wondering if anyone has installed the TWO GAUGE POD from Auto Meter that fits in the center console just in front of the shifter?

It holds two 2 1/16 in.diameter gauges & sells for about $72.00. If you have it in your Camaro, were you satisfied with the fit & quality?

Thanks in advance for your help!

All The Best

Orange 2010 Camaro
Attached Images

Orange 2010 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 02:59 PM   #2
Fanch1LE

Drives: 2015 1SS 1LE
I installed this recently. Got it from Phastek. Very satisfied. Looks like it was always there.
Attached Images

Fanch1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:42 AM   #3
JakeW1990

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/2SS
It looks pretty good, but mounting gauges that display information out of line of sight kinda defeats the purpose. If you take your eyes too far off the road etc., you not only endanger yourself, but others around you.

I'd recommend sensitive gauges being installed on the pillar and then customize the console with some other kind of aftermarket gauge (oil temp, EGT, trans temp, etc.)

Clean install though. Good work.
JakeW1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:10 AM   #4
JakeW1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanch1LE View Post
That's why I mounted my wideband gauge in the driver's side AC vent. I wanted a clean install and don't care for the look of gauges on the a-pillar or the steering column. To each his own. Besides, the thread wasn't titled "Where Should I Mount My Gauges?" The OP was looking for feedback from people who have installed this particular gauge pod.

I don't consider boost or fuel pressure to be "sensitive" gauges. Once the tune is dialed in, they're just for reference, or to have a quick look if something doesn't feel right with the car.
I don't reckon it was labeled "Where should I wear my feelings, my shoulder?" either, but to each their own. You don't even need a boost gauge to "dial-in" a tune. If that's the case, then you wasted your money. External wastegate spring and a quality MBC with incremental clicks (Grimmspeed) is all you need as it specifies what each click increment is- if you can add... Also, the dynamometer and tuning software knows the PSI reading, which is why it's displayed on your dyno chart. If you're going to pop off smart remarks, at least have something to go off of and don't shoot blanks cause I don't really care for whineyness.

BUT you are absolutely correct. PSI is not sensitive because no one has ever blown a hose off, particularly the vacuum line operating the WG and then your WG doesn't open and you grenade your motor. You've got it all figured out. I'm just impressed you got a wideband and not a discolight.

Anyways....
Old 02-26-2016, 01:59 PM   #5
Orange 2010 Camaro

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
That's why I mounted my wideband gauge in the driver's side AC vent. I wanted a clean install and don't care for the look of gauges on the a-pillar or the steering column. To each his own. Besides, the thread wasn't titled "Where Should I Mount My Gauges?" The OP was looking for feedback from people who have installed this particular gauge pod.

I don't consider boost or fuel pressure to be "sensitive" gauges. Once the tune is dialed in, they're just for reference, or to have a quick look if something doesn't feel right with the car.
Could you please tell me where you located the bung for the oxygen sensor? I have the exact same gauge that you do, & am confused as to where the CORRECT mounting location is.

By the way I am going to steel your idea on mounting the wide band AFR gauge in the drivers side AC vent! VERY CLEVER IDEA. I am also with you on keeping it NEAT & CLEAN.

Thanks SO MUCH for all your help thus far!

All The Best,

Orange 2010 Camaro
Attached Images

Orange 2010 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 02:57 PM   #6
Fanch1LE

Drives: 2015 1SS 1LE
I can't take credit for that idea. I got the courage to do it from this thread by another member.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=419870
It was very informative and made it a simple install. The actual gauge pod that goes in the vent is listed as a part for mustangs or f150's, but it works in ours with some minor trimming. There is a link to it in that thread I linked.

As for the sensor I had a bung welded in behind the catalytic converter before I had long tube headers. Everyone will tell you to place it before the cats for the most accurate reading, but this was the easiest spot to access so I went with it. Probably makes the A/F read 0.1 leaner than it would before the cats. When I installed my long tubes, I had a bung welded into my off-road connection pipe (looks like a cat but it's not). In retrospect, I should have had them weld it on the front side of the "dummy cat" so the sensor is angled away from the exhaust flow but it's working well for now.

Glad I could help!
Attached Images

Fanch1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 08:47 PM   #7
TRC-SS
700RWHP-650TQ

Drives: 2011 Forged LS3 Supercharged/Cammed
Hows this for right in your face!!

My setup.

Old 02-29-2016, 07:57 AM   #8
JakeW1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRC-SS View Post
Hows this for right in your face!!

My setup.

Lol. I actually haven't seen those bezels yet. Interesting. I did LOVE my Evo series gauges when I had them on my 2010 Genesis Coupe. The blue matched the stock interior/cluster lighting and were very easy to read.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:13 AM   #9
Stitch

Drives: SS, CTS & SRT-4
Quote:
I don't consider boost or fuel pressure to be "sensitive" gauges.
I'm currently removing my boost gauge as manifold pressure is no longer considered a "sensitive" metric.

Old 01-24-2021, 12:51 PM   #10
MrLSX

Drives: C5 LS3, C5 LS1, ZL1 LSA
Quote:

This is exactly what I want for my AFR. Do you have the link to the pod?