Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 06-10-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
usranger80

Drives: 2011 1LT "Bumblebee"
So...what fluids can I/should I use?

After reading through this thread I am not quite sure which fluids I should use. Everyone says something different and I know most of the time it is user preference, but let's say I am completely "fluid illiterate" and you were telling me as a newbie, with these stipulations.

1. I don't want to void my warranty
2. I want the longest possible life out of my vehicle
3. I want the best operation out of my vehicle

So what oil,tansmission and differential fluids are my options? Everyone talks about Royal Purple and Amsoil as being great. When I first got my car and got on this forum about 2 years ago Mobil 1 was the only way to go, so I went there. Price is not an issue, unless its stupid high. I know this is very subjective too, so please keep it civil. Thanks

My vehicle is an M6, btw.
Old 06-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Bottom line, regular maintenance. Fluids 'are' user preference.....usually by whoever advertises most, makes the most claims and has the brightest colors.
If warranty is an issue, I say stay with what the car came with. If you don't have a dealer do it for you...........be sure to save all receipts (especially with oil changes) in case there is a need for warranty.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
usranger80

Yep, I save all my receipts for everything for tax purposes so I have them for all the oil changes, have been using mobil 1 since 500 miles, thought about try RP just because, but if it is going to cause an issue if something ever happens I won't bother, I change oil according to the indicator.
Old 06-11-2013, 12:18 PM   #4
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avenging Orange View Post
Bottom line, regular maintenance. Fluids 'are' user preference.....usually by whoever advertises most, makes the most claims and has the brightest colors.
If warranty is an issue, I say stay with what the car came with. If you don't have a dealer do it for you...........be sure to save all receipts (especially with oil changes) in case there is a need for warranty.
aside from the save receipts...which everyone should do for car parts to maintenance for both resale and insurance and the dreaded warranty. this post is full of falsehoods. fluids are not created equal this post has been suckered by the very advertisement he mentioned.

op get the best you can that isnt dyed to keep warranty
Old 06-11-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
Avenging Orange

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCBA View Post
aside from the save receipts...which everyone should do for car parts to maintenance for both resale and insurance and the dreaded warranty. this post is full of falsehoods. fluids are not created equal this post has been suckered by the very advertisement he mentioned.

op get the best you can that isnt dyed to keep warranty
So, was it the flashy colors that got to you?
Most are created equal......additives change a few things but not drastically. Just look at the mighty "Dexos" approved list. Costal? National?....all on there.
This subject has been debated to death (and I will not continue to do so any further). Hence, why I suggested to use factory stuff, which is the almighty synthetic/semi synthetic stuff.
2010 Inferno Orange 2SS/RS M6 Black Leather, Sun Roof, OBX Headers, Borla touring axle back, Cold Air Inductions CAI , non synthetic fluids, BMR total bushing upgrade/1" lowering springs, DSE 32mm rear sway bar. GM fe4 shocks/struts/LCA's, AAM 3.91 diff, Vertini RFS1.8 20x9 +30. Conti ExtremeContact Sport 275/35/20. sjm autoprod ABL dash kit. Mike Norris tuned 413/419.
Avenging Orange: 43 years of not buying into the Hype........and damn proud of it!!
https://youtu.be/9JD9it6SmB8
https://youtu.be/xmelTlEzI34
KICKING CANCERS ASS SINCE 2015!!
Avenging Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 03:04 PM   #6
usranger80

Ok, so oil is not really an issue, Mobil and Pennzoil are all on the approved list, I will stick with them as I believe changing oil every 5000 miles it really would not matter that much. I was more curious about things like differential and transmission fluid, as far as making the car shift smoother and what not, are there any out there that "actually" do improve those areas. Thanks
Old 06-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #7
JohnnyBfromPeoria

Drives: 2012 LS M6, Black
Synchromesh for the V-6 manual box (it's available at GM dealers). I used Mobil 1 75W-90 in my diff with a bottle of friction modifier.

John B.
1986 Mitsubishi Montero 2.4l FI Transplant
JohnnyBfromPeoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #8
Mouse6.2

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS M6 NPP
I used AMSOIL's Severe Gear 75w-90 and a 3.3 oz of AMSOIL's Slip Loc. In the transmission I put 4qts of AMSOIL's Torque-DriveŽ Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid.
Mouse6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:52 PM   #9
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
I know a number of GM engineers that race in their own cars on their own wallets. They all run Mobil 1. That should tell you everything you need to know about engine oil.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
I know a number of GM engineers that race in their own cars on their own wallets. They all run Mobil 1. That should tell you everything you need to know about engine oil.
Mr Pete, Here is where we differ. The shear rating, anti wear additives and true synthetic is just superior in other oils.

dexos approved i understand for warranty guys.. is valvoline vr1 dexos? it has higher antiwear additives and a good shear rating and looks like its oem.