Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #15
San2cci

Drives: 2013 silver ice metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM SS/RS View Post
Agreed, best bang for the buck but with an automatic you will have to disable the DOD/AFM or it really sucks..
Please explain
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #16
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by upflying View Post
Muffler delete is fine except for this small detail...

Adequate Muffler Required

27150. (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

According to the muffler shop I had my delete done at.....at least here in DE, the resonator will qualify due to its design.......

Glad our DMV lost a lawsuit in reference to their sound testing...now, as long as it passes emissions its good to go......they don't even stick the mirror under the car to check.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #17
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by San2cci View Post
Please explain

With AFM, when it kicks in, the car sounds like crap because it drops to running only 4 cyclinders....... basically its dual exhaust on a 4 cylinder car while AFM is active.:(
Old 01-26-2013, 10:56 AM   #18
awfarley

Drives: 2011 5.7L Tundra Double-Cab X-SP
Like most topics on the forum you'll find most either love it or hate it. IMO the muffler delete sounds awesome on an SS. I hacked mine off my V6 and I love it.

The downside is the drone is the worst for obvious reasons but I've seen many good reviews on a Magnaflow Resonated X-pipe. It's supposed to kill most drone associated with the V6's anyway and I can't imagine it doing anything different for an SS. It basically just smoothes the 'rasp' out a little.
awfarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:44 PM   #19
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Thanks everyone...still undecided on which way to go...axle back, cat back, muffler delete...we'll see in the spring.

MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #20
Fast6.3

Drives: 2016 2SS coupe 2015 3LT Stingray
You can ut out the suitcases and put straight pipes at idle it barely increases the sound its just adds tone under throttle it sounds nice. I have yhe solo axelback which is basically a straight pipe system with j pipes to get rid of the drone. If you have an a6 you will get afm noise the only way to get rid of it is to turn off the afm in the tune solo says on some cars you dont get it I was one of the unlucky ones I got usedto it
Old 01-26-2013, 02:51 PM   #21
upflying

Drives: '86 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERHAWK View Post
According to the muffler shop I had my delete done at.....at least here in DE, the resonator will qualify due to its design.......

Glad our DMV lost a lawsuit in reference to their sound testing...now, as long as it passes emissions its good to go......they don't even stick the mirror under the car to check.
I'm with you, muffler delete in Ca is fine as long as you don't abuse it. A couple of full throttle upshifts at 3am in a residential area will get you a performance award.
Just be considerate.
upflying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 02:54 PM   #22
GunnyG
Da WHALE

Drives: 2014 Stingray, 2015 Panamera 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYDLIFECRISIS View Post
Is the muffler delete I see on here getting rid of the "suitcases" and replacing w/straight pipe? Does it change the sound? Does it mess w/ emissions?
Yes, the muffler delete is just getting rid of the "cans" and installing straight pipes in place. It will do nothing to harm emissions, it's just sound. Here's a quick video of mine.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:22 PM   #23
San2cci

Drives: 2013 silver ice metallic ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM SS/RS View Post
Agreed, best bang for the buck but with an automatic you will have to disable the DOD/AFM or it really sucks..

I was asking about "disabling the DOD/AFM" is this possible without having it tuned?
San2cci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:46 PM   #24
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Quote:
Originally Posted by San2cci View Post
I was asking about "disabling the DOD/AFM" is this possible without having it tuned?
nope... you could take out the lifters but i am not sure how the cars computer would like that. i am going to tune it out and replace the lifters when i get a cam installed.
SPCBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:36 PM   #25
GlennP

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
I have straight pipes headers and high flow cats. No drone and not too loud. You guys are overly sensitive!
Old 01-27-2013, 01:22 AM   #26
Nor*Kan SS/RS

Drives: 2011 SIM 1SS/RS
I had the delete done before I took delivery of my SS, I'm very impressed with the sound. Especially for the $70 it cost to have to done, and I've had quite a few complements

20% Tint | Muffler Delete | Hurst Short Throw | Eibach 1" Lowering Springs | K&N Cold Air | 20x9 20x10 Replicas | 255/35 285/30 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3's
Nor*Kan SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:31 AM   #27
Trentin24
Trentin24

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I have a V6 with the SLP Loudmouth 1 exhaust. It is basically just a muffler delete and it is L O U D. Not at idle, but when you take the RPMs up there its in your face loud and a cold start is pretty loud at 6 in the morning. I have a video of stock compared to the SLP, it is a V6 so it does have that rasp. But IMO it sounds good.
Trentin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 01:59 AM   #28
Alot9439

Drives: 2SS RS
I have a muffler/resonator delete with a Resonated x-pipe sounds good when all 8 are working when its in 4 cylinder mode its acceptable but the transition sounds bad( like a fart can). I would say get a muffler delete(keep resonators in place) and see if you like it i did that first sounded good and the AFM was less noticeable but it was more or less not as loud as now.
Alot9439 is offline   Reply With Quote