Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 03-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
jbrown13

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS L99
TPMS Disable?

Is it possible to disable the TPMS, either manually or in the tune? I'm tired of it going nuts every time I go to the drag strip and lower my drag radial pressures. Not a DD, so really don't need TPMS.

Thanks,
Jeff
jbrown13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #2
Minge

Drives: 2013 2SS
Minge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
"ok" button, ignore the "!". lol
if you wanted it 'tuned' out...I think that is a BCM thing. good luck there man.
Old 03-26-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
Spektrum

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
The gov't is super strict on what they say shops are allowed to do when it comes to diagnosing and repairing TPMS systems. It's very much illegal for a shop to knowingly disable the system, so your answer would be no if you wanted it done professionally.

I can't even install your wheels or tires without a functioning TPMS. If the TPMS indicator was not illuminated when you brought the car in, then it cannot go back in your hands if it is illuminated.
Spektrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:57 PM   #5
jbrown13

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerygetter View Post
"ok" button, ignore the "!". lol
if you wanted it 'tuned' out...I think that is a BCM thing. good luck there man.
Maybe I'm too old to understand the above, but I'm lost.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #6
jbrown13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektrum View Post
The gov't is super strict on what they say shops are allowed to do when it comes to diagnosing and repairing TPMS systems. It's very much illegal for a shop to knowingly disable the system, so your answer would be no if you wanted it done professionally.

I can't even install your wheels or tires without a functioning TPMS. If the TPMS indicator was not illuminated when you brought the car in, then it cannot go back in your hands if it is illuminated.
The liberal gubment deleting our freedoms one step at a time, and we continue to allow them to do it. I grew up in 1950's and it was a much better time (except for computers) than it is now. Rhetorically, why are we so complacent?
Old 03-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #7
epkmvuoq

Drives: 2ss red m6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown13 View Post
Maybe I'm too old to understand the above, but I'm lost.
Body control module.
epkmvuoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
jbrown13

Quote:
Originally Posted by epkmvuoq View Post
Body control module.
That part I understood. It was the '"ok" button' and 'ignore the "!"' parts that I didn't.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Sold the 6POINT2, went to a 50THZ06
I know a few people have made a TPMS pipebomb. Basically getting a large PVC pipe and caps and sealing it really well. Put the sensors in the pipe and air up the pressure to 35psi. Then put the pipe in the trunk. Personally I just hit the OK button every time I get in the car.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelSpeedFreak View Post
I know a few people have made a TPMS pipebomb. Basically getting a large PVC pipe and caps and sealing it really well. Put the sensors in the pipe and air up the pressure to 35psi. Then put the pipe in the trunk. Personally I just hit the OK button every time I get in the car.
I did this on my old Cobalt SS because I was swapping wheels so often for track days. It would work for a solid 20 minutes after a cold start but eventually still set an error. It didn't work at all in the trunk, but worked pretty well under the seat.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #11
jbrown13

Quote:
Good idea, but probably more trouble than it's worth.

I've just been through my manual and can't find any reference to this "OK" button that has been mentioned by you and grocerygetter. Please enlighten me.

To Spektrum, I spoke with a friend of mine today who owns a car repair shop in Macon, GA, and he knows nothing about a law that says he can seize a vehicle with a faulty TPMS. He said that if he tried that he would probably be arrested for auto theft. Must be a crazy blue state law or a misunderstanding. Wouldn't fly in a red state like GA.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 03-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #12
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Sold the 6POINT2, went to a 50THZ06
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrown13 View Post
Good idea, but probably more trouble than it's worth.

I've just been through my manual and can't find any reference to this "OK" button that has been mentioned by you and grocerygetter. Please enlighten me.

To Spektrum, I spoke with a friend of mine today who owns a car repair shop in Macon, GA, and he knows nothing about a law that says he can seize a vehicle with a faulty TPMS. He said that if he tried that he would probably be arrested for auto theft. Must be a crazy blue state law or a misunderstanding. Wouldn't fly in a red state like GA.

Thanks,
Jeff
button on the turn signal lever. When you start the car you have to hit the button to make the "error" go away on your screen. You will still have a small light on the dash but that isn't too annoying. I drive around a lot on my bogarts and no TPMS in there so I am really use to just hitting okay and driving away.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
jbrown13

Quote:
button on the turn signal lever. When you start the car you have to hit the button to make the "error" go away on your screen. You will still have a small light on the dash but that isn't too annoying. I drive around a lot on my bogarts and no TPMS in there so I am really use to just hitting okay and driving away.
Thanks man, appreciate that. The message is what annoys me, I haven't been bothered by the light.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:04 PM   #14
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Quote:
My dad wants to do something similar to his Colorado, every time he goes from his summer to winter wheels the tpms light is always on... He wants to drill some old steel wheel for 4 valve stems/tpms sensors and just throw it in the back of the truck so he doesn't have to worry about it anymore.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote