Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 03-30-2013, 10:01 AM   #1
GlennP

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Help me settle an Adam's argument...

My friend and I are both big Adam's fans, and we are having a wonderful disagreement that I would like put to rest!

When I wash my car with Adam's car shampoo, after I finish each area I rinse the soap off then move on to the next panel. Its just a habit and I know I dont HAVE to (Adam's says you can let the soap dry on the car and its not a problem).

However my friend believes that by rinsing the soap off panel by panel I am actually harming the paint, and that I will get water spots (which I dont)

I think its proposterous!

What says you?
Old 03-30-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
WiSSDiver

Drives: 1968 Coupe, 2010 2SS, 2011 2SS/RS
It probably depends more on the water in your area than anything else. We have and endless supply of fresh water (Lake Michigan) that even after treated in the local plant, is really soft water. If your water is hard and contains a lot of minerals, leaving that to dry in the car shampoo probably isn't a good thing.

So, you're both right, but it depends more on the water supply than the shampoo.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #3
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
He's right. You're almost always better off to leave the soap on. I don't recommend letting it dry (although it won't necessarily hurt anything with Adam's soap). What I do in the Texas heat is to foam the car, then start washing. As I'm going around, if I notice spots starting to dry out, just hit them with a quick mist from the hose. This will dampen it back up and leave soap on the paint before you rinse off.

You don't want to let plain old water dry on the paint or you'll have a water-spotted mess, unless you have some sort of amazing tapwater.