Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Dragstrip and Launch Techniques Discussion

Old 06-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
dkbmx993

Drives: 2010 camaro ss 6spdmanual
proper downshifting is heel toe. similar to doubke clutch except left foot keeps clutch to the floor right foot applies brake. before you downshift you use the side of your right foot to tap the throttle to rev match without releasing the brake.

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
dkbmx993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 08:59 PM   #16
Mutant Racer

Drives: 2015 2LT Torch Red C7 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscleCars View Post
I have no clue, maybe watch fast and furious 1. Vin Diesel talks about Granny shifting and double-clutching!
Everyone else described the double-clutching but Granny shifting is a generalization so it applies to a lot of things. It describes a person who drives a manual transmission like a lost and overwhelmed old lady.

ie....missing your shift points, riding the clutch, pedal mashing, over-revving before shifting, stalling, and so on.
Mutant Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:03 PM   #17
77rs

Drives: '13 SS/RS conv. RY
You guys are too young!
77rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
77rs

Drives: '13 SS/RS conv. RY
All pre-war trucks were double-clutched. In fact, the Antique truck club of America's publication is callesd "Double Clutch".
77rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:45 PM   #19
fz4k98

Drives: 2013 1ss
Double clutching is not needed in synchro manual transmissions. The concept addresses the gear speed difference in a transmission when shifting gears. When the clutch is pressed in to upshift, the transmission gears are spinning at the gear speed you were in. The new gear will require lower spinning speed like the engine rpm.

Double clutching on a upshift slows the transmission speed by letting the clutch out and recoupling the transmission input shaft to the new engine rpm. If done right it sets the transmission speed to the needed speed for the next gear.
fz4k98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:25 PM   #20
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
People confuse double clutching with rev matched downshifting. Double clutching is no longer needed on modern cars as described above, so don't even bother with it.

Rev matched downshifting IS worth learning if you want smooth downshifts. Its critically important if you track your car and want to be fast.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:52 PM   #21
epkmvuoq

Drives: 2ss red m6
We call double clutching,,,,,,,,,,,, dump clutch on street or mud,,, when tires begin to stop spinning and start to hook ,,,,, at this time hold pedal to the floor,push in clutch and dump it again to try and maintain throwing mud. When engine starts to bog push in clutch to build rpms and dump it again.
This is called a classic country DOUBLE CLUTCH !!!!!!
epkmvuoq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:57 PM   #22
epkmvuoq

Quote:
Originally Posted by epkmvuoq View Post
We call double clutching,,,,,,,,,,,, dump clutch on street or mud,,, when tires begin to stop spinning and start to hook ,,,,, at this time hold pedal to the floor,push in clutch and dump it again to try and maintain throwing mud. When engine starts to bog push in clutch to build rpms and dump it again.
Also called tearing up your s##t
Old 06-05-2013, 11:58 PM   #23

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by epkmvuoq View Post
lol...If you're a batter in a baseball game, you don't want to double-clutch your swing...and sometimes double-clutching a throw doesn't turn out so well......but in basketball, if you double-clutch, you might fake out the defender and get an open shot...lol...
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:01 AM   #24
bw26ss
Banned

Drives: ss camaro
ya, double clutching is like when you are going to shift to second, you basically rev and dump the clutch, this is very handy for chirping the tires in second or third, lol.
bw26ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #25
epkmvuoq

In a 1948 jeep you may have to double clutch that old 4 cylinder 4 or 5 times to make it out of a real bad mud hole. Keeping that tire speed up ! Lol :-))
Old 06-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #26
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJoe96 View Post
Hello all, just wondering if some of you would like to chime in an enlighten me on this topic! I've tried doing research other places, but can't really seem to get a nice, straight answer along with an explanation. Basically, all I understand is that it has some thing to do with rev matching while down shifting, but apart from that I don't really understand the matter. The way I drive is putting the car in neutral while slowing down/coming to a stop, and then putting it into the appropriate gear based on my speed. Is this the right technique? And also, when should the double-clutch technique be used? Thanks fellas!
Joe
Double clutching is this ↓↓↓ . Minus the commentary, as double clutching still has merit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strych9 View Post
Double-clutching was the act of pressing the clutch pedal, shift to neutral between gears, release pedal, rev engine, press pedal, shift to next gear. Not very efficient.

Double-clutching is an obsolete method of shifting a manual. Before manual transmissions had synchronizers installed. Synchros do what double-clutching used to do: bring the meshing gears up to the same speed so that they could engage without grinding into each other.

Quote:
To my knowledge, all modern transmissions have synchros, so double-clutching is not necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaytalsCamaro View Post
to be honest seems unnecessary in our vehicles due to technology advancement
Quote:
Originally Posted by fz4k98 View Post
Double clutching is not needed in synchro manual transmissions.
Not as necessary, perhaps. But still beneficial to synchro life. When you completely disengage the clutch, the disc and some of the transmission parts won't be rotating at the right speed even if you give the engine revs a kick to match them.

What I also read in between the lines is a lack of understanding or sympathy for what synchros actually do, and too much willingness to assume that "technological progress" frees them from the burden of having to learn a skill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
People confuse double clutching with rev matched downshifting. Double clutching is no longer needed on modern cars as described above, so don't even bother with it.

Rev matched downshifting IS worth learning if you want smooth downshifts. Its critically important if you track your car and want to be fast.
Near as I can tell, rev matching without double clutching actually works best when there is a little clutch drag (not 100.0% disengaged). For hurried downshifts this does work, but when you're not in a hurry it's a little easier to get the revs for all those "in-between" bits matched with a double clutch.

There still is a time and place for double clutched upshifts even with fully synchronized transmissions. When it's cold (say, 25°F and below) and you are holding the engine revs down (like you should be doing), the tranny oil can be stiff enough to basically stop the gears from turning in less time than it takes to get past the neutral gate. It is very definitely advantageous to double-clutch and rev-kick the upshift to get everything back to "matched". Most typically, this is the first couple of 1-2 upshifts and has something to do with the wider gear spacing between those two.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #27
Jim968

Drives: 2018 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
Double clutching is this ↓↓↓ . Minus the commentary, as double clutching still has merit.

Not as necessary, perhaps. But still beneficial to synchro life. When you completely disengage the clutch, the disc and some of the transmission parts won't be rotating at the right speed even if you give the engine revs a kick to match them.

What I also read in between the lines is a lack of understanding or sympathy for what synchros actually do, and too much willingness to assume that "technological progress" frees them from the burden of having to learn a skill.

Near as I can tell, rev matching without double clutching actually works best when there is a little clutch drag (not 100.0% disengaged). For hurried downshifts this does work, but when you're not in a hurry it's a little easier to get the revs for all those "in-between" bits matched with a double clutch.

There still is a time and place for double clutched upshifts even with fully synchronized transmissions. When it's cold (say, 25°F and below) and you are holding the engine revs down (like you should be doing), the tranny oil can be stiff enough to basically stop the gears from turning in less time than it takes to get past the neutral gate. It is very definitely advantageous to double-clutch and rev-kick the upshift to get everything back to "matched". Most typically, this is the first couple of 1-2 upshifts and has something to do with the wider gear spacing between those two.

Norm
Under normal driving conditions the syncros will last the life of the car. No double clutching required. There is no purpose in attempting to extend their life. You paid for the syncros. Use them! Nobody advises avoiding 2nd gear in an attempt to extend its life.

If you’ve ever instructed students on the track who were attempting to double clutch, you’d understand why I advise against bothering with it. It ends up slowing them down and making them wonder why they’re getting passed by a girl in a Miata (real life example of a student I had in a Porsche 993).

If you want to develop the skill just to complete the set of skills in your tool box, then fine. Just realize that you’ll need it about as often as you’ll need a 50mm socket. And whatever you do don’t learn it at the expense of perfecting your skills for proper rev matched downshifting.
Jim968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:20 PM   #28
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
I guess we need to separate street from track, and maybe agree to disagree a little.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim968 View Post
Under normal driving conditions the syncros will last the life of the car. No double clutching required. There is no purpose in attempting to extend their life. You paid for the syncros. Use them! Nobody advises avoiding 2nd gear in an attempt to extend its life.
That logic works quite well for the average driver who chugs around turns and ramps/corners anywhere from one to three gears too high. There's simply a lot fewer shift cycles involved, and the vast majority of those are upshifts (which are naturally more or less rev-matched as long as you lift a tad). It was pretty firmly instilled in me to take as good a care of things as could reasonably be done. You can probably call that a generational thing, a function of having parents who lived through the Depression of the 1930's.

Waste not, want not, as it were. Any presumed improvements in synchro durability simply isn't going to change that attitude.

Quote:
If you’ve ever instructed students on the track who were attempting to double clutch, you’d understand why I advise against bothering with it. It ends up slowing them down and making them wonder why they’re getting passed by a girl in a Miata (real life example of a student I had in a Porsche 993).
I wish I was instructor level, but I'm not. Just a guy who works at driving smoothly and shifts a lot to keep the engine spinning where it's reasonably happy. Actually, I know I don't double-clutch the 4-3 out on the track, and just those two gears adequately covers everything from 50 to 125 or so (keeping in mind that I only have 315-ish HP to play with, and that redline in 2nd is only 65-ish).

"Attempting to" suggests that said students weren't particular familiar with either double clutching or rev-matching, and come from the world of mostly mindless street driving where downshifts are done only when the engine is lugging too badly coming out of a 90° turn at a residential neighborhood intersection. Of course they're going to be klutzy at it . . . no matter which method they were attempting to use. I'm going to claim an exception here, based on 40+ years and tens of thousands of double-clutchings worth of practice.

But just so you know, if I'm being a little extra careful I can get away with not using the clutch at all once I'm not needing to grab 1st . . . upshifts and downshifts both. Maybe fit that alongside your 53.5 mm socket .

Norm

Last edited by Norm Peterson; 06-06-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote