Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #15
Chris@glimmerglass

Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
The only difference though is that most rain is significantly different than tap/house and well water. You can level the playing field w/ water softener / cartridge. This can really help to reduce spotting created by hard water at the house.
Old 09-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #16
rmpackers
Ride this Chevy

Drives: 2010 RJT RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@glimmerglass View Post
The only difference though is that most rain is significantly different than tap/house and well water. You can level the playing field w/ water softener / cartridge. This can really help to reduce spotting created by hard water at the house.
My fantastic husband installed softened, heated water in the garage when we built our house in 1996. I'm lucky enough to have soft, warm or cold water, to wash my Jewel with!
Old 09-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #17
scythezo6
Virologist in the making

Drives: 2010 VR SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Here's what I'd do;

1.) Allow your car to sit for a period of time, (in shade, overnight, in a garage, if possible) and wash it only if, A) the paint is cool to the touch, and B) if you have an area where it will be out of direct sunlight for a few hours.

2.) After you thoroughly cleaned the car, leave it wet, and clay it. From my experience, (and I own a black car, there are several in my family, and I've detailed quite a few) claying will remove the water spots.

3.) After you've clayed the entire vehicle, wash it a second time and dry it.

4.) Finish by adding a good wax/polish to protect the surface.

I'd recommend you avoid using a buffer unless you're experienced in using one. You could cause yourself more headaches by creating more blemishes if you're not careful using a buffer.

Dark cars obviously have higher paint temperatures when exposed to sunlight, and require more maintanence as a result. You cannot let anything sit on the paint for very long without creating problems.

I truly believe if you invest a couple of hours, and follow the steps I've provided, that you'll be successful in removing the water marks.

Please let me know if I can help you further.

Ed

(And stay away from the sprinklers!)
My only problem with this is the hard water we have in the southwest. If I leave my car wet after washing it it will develop water spots. Is it possible to just dry it then clay while keeping the paint lubed with quick detailer/water-soap?
Old 09-10-2009, 06:25 PM   #18
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by scythezo6 View Post
My only problem with this is the hard water we have in the southwest. If I leave my car wet after washing it it will develop water spots. Is it possible to just dry it then clay while keeping the paint lubed with quick detailer/water-soap?
Are you able to put your car either in a garage, or in shade, to clay?

Allowing the car to remain wet provides more protection and ease in that the combination of the standing water, and the lubricant, makes claying that much easier.

If you want to dry it, by all means do. Just be sure to use plenty of lubricant in claying.

Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 12:03 PM   #19
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
what is the best way to keep from getting water spots. For example I wash the car (Black) dry it with shammy and ring as needed but even when it is almost dry it still leaves some lines on occasion or very small water spots where the end of the shamy was wet. I can keep going over it with the shammy but it continues to leave a little bit even when I ring it out good. And then it drys quicker between shammy wipes meaning I am actually using the shammy to remove the spots but then leaving other spots again. Its so frustrating. For the most part its not all over the car but when I get close to the last few spots I cant seem to keep from getting them. I try to keep the car wet until I get to other areas. HELP
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #20
Missile Man

Drives: 2010 2SS/Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstLSK View Post
Clay bar will take care of your problem.
Ditto

Mods:
* CAI Intake
* Magnuson MP2300 TVS Supercharger/RDS Spacer
* Vector Motorsports Tune
* Stainless Power LT/Hi Flow Cats/Tru X-* Pipe/36" J-Pipes/40 Series
* R1 Concepts ceramic pads and slotted/drilled rotors
Missile Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2009, 09:07 AM   #21
Coop

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
Saved for later. Chris I probably will buy the water softener canister and cartridge. That is a great idea. Is there anyone on here who uses it?
2010 Camaro 1SS Inferno Orange Magnusson Supercharger Installed and Tuned by ADM Performance, Roto Fab CAI IOM painted, MBRP Cat Back Exhaust, Barton Industries Short Shifter, Clear Image Headers, Pedders coilovers, BMR Front/Rear sway bars Trailing Arms and End Links, VMax ported TB
Coop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:27 PM   #22
Baughman

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
I have a black 2SS and have had great success removing water marks with a 10 parts distiller water to 1 part vinegar solution. Then lightly drag a microfiber towel soaked in the solution over all water spots. This advice came from Tropi Care.