Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 06-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
MickeyD

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RS
Looking for my perfect system...

So I have a sub question. I'm looking to put a system in my 1LT RS non-Boston Acoustic Camaro. Seeing that our trunks are already small I want to minimize the amount of space I use but I don't want to sacrifice sound quality. I by no means am looking to piss off other drivers with a stupid loud system, but I do want to feel it kick in my chest a little. I'm looking at the JL 10W3V3-2 powered by the JL 500/1 with the ******** stealthbox. Is anyone running this setup or something along those lines? Does it get the job done or is it subpar? I appreciate any and all feedback as I'm not an audio expert but I do know enough to install a system. I'm stuck in Afghanistan for another month and a half so I have plenty of time for research. Thanks!
MickeyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:03 PM   #2
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
Ya can't go wrong with a JL amp and sub. The W3 is a pretty good sub, from what I've read and the ******** box will allow you to keep more of your trunk space. Which JL amp is it exactly, the Slash or JX series?
Old 06-25-2011, 02:38 PM   #3
MickeyD

Its the JL Slash 500/1 v2 (http://www.crutchfield.com/s_1365001...and%7cJL+Audio) although I didn't pay $600. The JX 500 is no where near powerfull enough to do that sub justice. What are you running?
Old 06-25-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Not running a sub yet, but I'm fairly set on getting a JL 12w3. The only items I'm running are a JL XD400/4 powering my Alpine Type-R speakers (front and rear). Still not sure which amp to go with though
Old 06-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #5
MickeyD

All he reserch I've done says that JL is worth every penny. Other companies make some good stuff, but nothing like JL.
Old 06-26-2011, 12:20 AM   #6
Markal
White Lightnin

Drives: 2010 Summit White Camaro LS
JL is a good company and many people swear by them. Others think they are popular because of their advertising and are overblown. Check out Rockford Fosgate.com. Fosgate was a pioneer who really started car audio improvements back in the 70's. This Arizona company has been around for a while and its audio research and technology should not be ignored. I have Rockford Fosgates and even at full volume...its crisp and clean....its like the speakers can't be blown and aren't even near their capacity. There is no distortion or cutoff of frequencies...but I can feel the seat vibrating and my hair moving to the beat
They have an amp that will fit in the palm of your hand....talk about small footprint...

Thanks for serving your country...we are all proud of you.
I'm retired Air Force, Desert Storm vet...so I know what its like to be away from loved ones.
Stay safe and come home soon!
Markal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:46 AM   #7
frank1557
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange RS
I just had 2 12inch rockford p2's installed. Custom box(not the ******** box). 4 gauge amp kit with a punch 500.1 amp. I had the boston speakers so i left those alone. same deck just using a converter until more decks come out for the camaro. I also had the bass knob installed too. I worried that the 500 watts wouldnt power the two, but i was WRONG! Rockford Fosgate under states their amps. So 500 watts is actually lik 650+. All Rockford amps also come with a birth sheet and the total power they are putting out. My 500 is rated at 687 watts. Its also really cool to do a show and frame your birth sheet so everyone can see it. My amp gets warm but not really hot like others do. I highly suggest rockford over jl. For the money you will spend on them you will not regret. I promise lol. If youd like ill send you pics of my setup.
frank1557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:49 AM   #8
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Check out Image Dynamics. JL is still running off of their reputation from 6-8 years ago. They haven't improved but the cost has continued to climb. It's a good product, bit there is better to be had for far less $$$$.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:55 AM   #9
MickeyD

I've used Rockford in the past and was not impressed with their products. I still want to be sure that a single, well powered, 10" sub is gonna do the trick. What do you guys think? I travel a good bit in the Camaro so I don't have the option of making my trunk smaller by putting a huge box back there.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:50 AM   #10
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
Check out Image Dynamics. JL is still running off of their reputation from 6-8 years ago. They haven't improved but the cost has continued to climb. It's a good product, bit there is better to be had for far less $$$$.
Didn't their ownership change or something like that?
Old 06-26-2011, 09:48 PM   #11
IBM/2SS/RS/LS3
NorCal Camaro➎ Member

Drives: Bowties ONLY!!
Also check out Zapco and Arc
Old 06-27-2011, 08:53 AM   #12
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
Didn't their ownership change or something like that?
Found this @ DIYAM:

As the title states.

I founded the company in 1993 and after 18 years have to say Good bye!

I have been working to buy out a partner I brought on in 2006. It has been dragging on for over 2 years for many reasons.

We had an agreement on price and terms and it has fallen apart over the last week unfortunately, with my partner choosing to change things to his benefit.

It is very sad for me and I want to thank those that have supported the company over the years. Unfortunately it wont be the same company anymore.

There is a chance that an agreement can be reached in the next few days and I will be making an announcement to rescind this one.

Thank and Regards,

Eric Stevens

It was posted 3/17/11. Too many pages to read the entire thread for updates, but it would appear that they are going through an ownership change, but it isn't like they were bought out by Jensen.

For the $$, you would be hard pressed to find a better sub than the IDQ's.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #13
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRSM6 View Post
Found this @ DIYAM:

As the title states.

I founded the company in 1993 and after 18 years have to say Good bye!

I have been working to buy out a partner I brought on in 2006. It has been dragging on for over 2 years for many reasons.

We had an agreement on price and terms and it has fallen apart over the last week unfortunately, with my partner choosing to change things to his benefit.

It is very sad for me and I want to thank those that have supported the company over the years. Unfortunately it wont be the same company anymore.

There is a chance that an agreement can be reached in the next few days and I will be making an announcement to rescind this one.

Thank and Regards,

Eric Stevens

It was posted 3/17/11. Too many pages to read the entire thread for updates, but it would appear that they are going through an ownership change, but it isn't like they were bought out by Jensen.

For the $$, you would be hard pressed to find a better sub than the IDQ's.
Good info! Hmmm...I'll check out some reviews since videos ain't gonna do any sub justice. Thanks!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #14
y2k king

Drives: 2011 ss camaro
for the money, ********'s kicker amp, 10" speaker and box deal can't be beat.