Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-25-2013, 10:46 PM   #1
Timna

Drives: 2014 2SS 1LE
Unhappy with sound

Last week got magnaflow mufflers installed, but not really liking the sound. Deep muffled sound, what I wanted was 60's-70's muscle car sound. So I am thinking of just getting borla atak axle back or type s. Should have gone that route but got a killer deal on the magnaflows so figured would try it out. I know cat back probably would be better in the long run but I want something that is loud but that I can still talk in the car to my passengers and dont really want to explain to my wife as to why the bank is 1200 less.

I know it's been talked about to death but any objections to either as far as in cabin loudness.

Thanks

Tim
Timna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:50 PM   #2
lakersftbl69

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Do headers those will strengthen the sound
upgrades kooks 1 7/8" LTH w/ deleted cats, corsa exhaust, hurst short throw shifter stage 3 comp cam, 3.91 gears ecs kit blower, meth injection, upgraded axles, drive shaft, McLeod rxt clutch, fully forged 416ci stroker all installed and dyno tuned by slowhawk performance in bridgewater ma.
lakersftbl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
monstertodd

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Metallic 2SS/RS M6
You need to do the Stainless Works 3" retro chambered catback. If that's not loud enough for you, add headers. That will get you where you want to be.

Sent from my abacus using precise finger movements......
monstertodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:54 PM   #4
Juiced1
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 2SS CAMARO 45th
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timna View Post
Last week got magnaflow mufflers installed, but not really liking the sound. Deep muffled sound, what I wanted was 60's-70's muscle car sound. So I am thinking of just getting borla atak axle back or type s. Should have gone that route but got a killer deal on the magnaflows so figured would try it out. I know cat back probably would be better in the long run but I want something that is loud but that I can still talk in the car to my passengers and dont really want to explain to my wife as to why the bank is 1200 less.

I know it's been talked about to death but any objections to either as far as in cabin loudness. Add a set of high flow cats and you can really hear that old school rumble coming out....or just go with a nice set of long tubes.

Thanks

Tim
Try the Solo axleback. They offer a deep muscle car sound that sounds like it would be right up your alley and they have zero drone. So you can have a comfortable conversation in the car while cruising.
Juiced1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:18 AM   #5
scott's45
Scott's45

Drives: 2012 2SS 45th Anniversary
Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
You need to do the Stainless Works 3" retro chambered catback. If that's not loud enough for you, add headers. That will get you where you want to be.

Sent from my abacus using precise finger movements......

+1!!
scott's45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:53 AM   #6
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timna View Post

I know it's been talked about to death but any objections to either as far as in cabin loudness.

Thanks

Tim
Based on the sound you are looking for I don't think the ATAK or S-Type are going to get you there. The ATAK is an aggressive system but it does not have a traditional muscle car sound. The S-Type has a deeper tone but it will have interior drone at cruising speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstertodd View Post
This is what I would recommend as well. There is no doubt that it is the closest to the traditional muscle car sound and has no drone. It also costs less than either of the Borla systems.

Cat back only

With 1 7/8 headers and high flow cats

Last edited by Apex Motorsports; 11-26-2013 at 06:56 AM.
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
Cat988h

Drives: Rally yellow 2011 Camaro 1SSRS
MBRP with 1 7/8 ARH, I think this is a deep muscle sound. I like the SW system but it is not deep enough and kind of high pitched to me. Here a video of mine.

http://youtu.be/VSwYnzevOkQ
ATI Super Damper, Katech C5R Chain, Jannetty 470 Comp Cam, Comp Valve Springs, Mellings Oil Pump, Manley Push Rods, Comp Tringion Upgrade, Cold Air Inductions Intake, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w Cats, MBRP 3 Inch Exhaust, RX Catch Can, Eaton Tru Trac, 3.91 OEM, DSS Drive And Half Shafts, LPW Diff Cover,3 Inch Noweeds, Amsoil Z-Rod, Tuned by Jannetty Racing
Cat988h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced1 View Post
Try the Solo axleback. They offer a deep muscle car sound that sounds like it would be right up your alley and they have zero drone. So you can have a comfortable conversation in the car while cruising.
I've had these for 2 years now. Muffler delete and you will think your back in the 60's.
Deep aggressive rumble with no drone, and it seems to get better all the time.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:01 AM   #9
mat300z
Emerald Coast Camaro's

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Yeah I have the same problem...got the magnaflows and they don't sound good at all. I am running Kooks headers and full 3" exhaust with no cats and they are quiet :( So i just sold them. Now I have the stainless works retro sitting on my living room floor waiting to be installed. I am pretty sure this is the answer to my problem.
mat300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:21 AM   #10
2SS2010

Drives: 2010 2 SS
Borla Atak will not sound like a muscle car.
2SS2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:22 AM   #11
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Add cutouts- you cannot get much more aggressive than that!
Old 11-26-2013, 07:24 AM   #12
GroundPilot

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS "Bridgette"
Hmmmm interesting on what people like. I got a Magnaflow catback with X-pipe and LOVE the sound. Even had the GF say that my car finally sounds like my car should, muscle-y and mean.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:34 AM   #13
mat300z
Emerald Coast Camaro's

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat988h View Post
MBRP with 1 7/8 ARH, I think this is a deep muscle sound. I like the SW system but it is not deep enough and kind of high pitched to me. Here a video of mine.

http://youtu.be/VSwYnzevOkQ
Are you running cats or catless? X or H pipe? 2.5 or 3" catback? This will help people make their decisions on which exhaust to buy if they like yours. Maybe save them the same mistakes I made and money wasted cause I didn't do my research. Though everybody hears differently and what sounds good to one may not sound good to another. I wish I had heard some other peoples exhausts but they have to be running same kind of header set up I have.
mat300z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:42 AM   #14
Cat988h

Drives: Rally yellow 2011 Camaro 1SSRS
3 inch x pipe with HF cats and cold air inductions, tuned by jannetty racing.
ATI Super Damper, Katech C5R Chain, Jannetty 470 Comp Cam, Comp Valve Springs, Mellings Oil Pump, Manley Push Rods, Comp Tringion Upgrade, Cold Air Inductions Intake, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w Cats, MBRP 3 Inch Exhaust, RX Catch Can, Eaton Tru Trac, 3.91 OEM, DSS Drive And Half Shafts, LPW Diff Cover,3 Inch Noweeds, Amsoil Z-Rod, Tuned by Jannetty Racing
Cat988h is offline   Reply With Quote