Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-02-2009, 02:07 PM   #15
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
so all i replied was "i want a car that was built with tools not chopsticks"
LOL. Sooo wrong but sooo funny.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:10 PM   #16
Fogey

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS A6, IOM
GM has come a long way

I have an 04 Envoy and it is the highest quality car I've ever had. In 5 years it has had oil changes, break pads and a new set of tires. That is it. It has taken a significant amount of off road use, and still no squeaks or rattles. It has been an amazing vehicle.
Fogey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #17
vm1971

Drives: 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogey View Post
I have an 04 Envoy and it is the highest quality car I've ever had. In 5 years it has had oil changes, break pads and a new set of tires. That is it. It has taken a significant amount of off road use, and still no squeaks or rattles. It has been an amazing vehicle.
?
Old 06-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #18
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight_23 View Post
I have had it already of people keep discouraging me from buying American! What's up with these people?! When I first bought my 94 Camaro...people gave me crap about buying a used American sports car. They told me it would not go past 180k miles...wooptidoo...I'm at 223k miles and running strong! It don't look pretty now like when I bought it...but it's my baby!

And the word is going around the people I know that I'm waiting for my Camaro...and people are giving me crap again. They tell me American cars are not reliable, the first model is always crap, that I should wait for more options later on, etc.

They tell me to buy a Japanese car instead too...or German.... I know I posted a thread earlier about getting a Subaru...but that would NOT be my car...I only drive American...the wife drives an Accord...but that is HER car.

Now another co-worker this morning brought up the bankrupt GM and how crappy they are now and told me to get a G37 or a Boxster instead...WTF?

And then he changes it to I should enjoy my young life instead of having a car payment and use the $500 I was gonna spend a month to go out and travel...listen here...I got married at 20...if anyone knows anything about not enjoying their 20s it's me...but you know what...I LOVE BEING MARRIED! I don't regret a single bit! And I prefer road trips over flying...so does the wife...what a perfect way to road trip in a 29MPG...300HP sports car!

If I would have said I was gonna get a Toyota Corolla...I bet no one would give me a hard time!

/Rant

I'd like to add that my close friends (the few that I consider REAL friends) and MY parents are excited for me. Everyone else aren't.

...Those are just SOME of the excuses I get from people...

Your stories!
Get out of my head!

I have only bought American cars aslo. I drive my WIFES Corolla, but its hers. I've also been with my wife since I was 20, got married at 24, missed out on being a man slut in my 20's but thats ok, I love my wifey.

Anyway. I have a few friends that don't agree with buying American cars. Infact my one buddy is a Honda fanatic. He currently has a Fit and S200 and recently sold a RSX-s. All nice cars, but he gave the when I told him I'm gunna try to get a Camaro soon. He also said he would never drive an American car, even if it was given to him, unless maybe it was a Corvette. What a tool. I will give it to him though, he hates rice and has been very classy with his imports.

Another friend keeps telling me to get a Toyota, "They last forever" he says. Coming from the guy with a '01 WS6 w/ a LS6 motor dropped in it! He also over paid for that damn WS6...

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:11 PM   #19
The Dark Knight
Batmobile in Disguise

Drives: 2009 Pontiac G8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwantone2 View Post
Actually, just this morning i ran into a co-worker and when i told him that i was gonna get a Camaro, he said, "you know they're going bankrupt right?" dude, just be freakin happy for me!!! so all i replied was "i want a car that was built with tools not chopsticks" (he drives a honda). anyways, my fam is happy for me as well. they ask me what's going on and how much longer they...i mean, i have to wait. my girl, and my buddies are all really excited for me as well.
Good comeback...I gotta use that now...
Old 06-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #20
nards444

Drives: 1SS/RS Black
this whole attitude goes back 20 years ago, where some japs cars were probably better. But now days, im sure there are some that are better, but overall american cars are better. I dont know who would give you a hard time for buying American, i mean thats what this country needs right now.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #21
fad1

Drives: Future 5th gen Camaro
I get crap about it all the time, we stand United
Old 06-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #22
vm1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by fad1 View Post
I get crap about it all the time, we stand United
wow, i got lucky.
on weekends my pals and i sit around, drink, laugh, and talk american cars.
constantly. the gals are like: "and it has begun.." when we utter the first topic! HAHHAHAH!

FRIGGIN LOVE IT
Old 06-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #23
Hylton

Drives: fanboys and ass kissers crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlawk View Post
I've also been with my wife since I was 20, got married at 24, missed out on being a man slut in my 20's but thats ok, I love my wifey.
No worries buddy, I took care of that for you....
Old 06-02-2009, 02:15 PM   #24
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Quote:
Originally Posted by vm1971 View Post
wow, i got lucky.
on weekends my pals and i sit around, drink, laugh, and talk american cars.
constantly. the gals are like: "and it has begun.." when we utter the first topic! HAHHAHAH!

FRIGGIN LOVE IT

I need friends like yours.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #25
poinker

Drives: 98 Jeep Cherokee Classic
im excited for you
poinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:16 PM   #26
vm1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

I need friends like yours.
hahhaha!
its great. i have a nice place, nice decor, etc...
but the reading material in MY bathroom (for guests)
is SUPER CHEVY
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

join us!
Old 06-02-2009, 02:33 PM   #27
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
So, they told you that American cars are not reliable, and suggested buying German?

I chose my VW in spite of their reliability, not because of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisgalles View Post
American cars are just as reliable as foreign cars. Toyota quality has actually slipped dramatically and aren't God's gift to the automobile world like everyone thinks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlawk View Post
Another friend keeps telling me to get a Toyota, "They last forever" he says.
LOL, no. They certainly do not. Personal experience and actual paying attention to available data tells me that they are no better than any others. Anyway, are you planning to keep a car "forever"? Especially if it's a Toyota you're not going to want to!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nards444 View Post
this whole attitude goes back 20 years ago, where some japs cars were probably better. But now days, im sure there are some that are better, but overall american cars are better. I dont know who would give you a hard time for buying American, i mean thats what this country needs right now.
Manufacturers that were making bad cars in the 1980s have stepped up their game. In the meantime, the world's favorite Toyota has outgrown themselves and is not doing as good a job as they used to.

At this point, the biggest part of lifespan and reliability of a car is the matter of who drives/cares for it...
  • Who buys a Toyota? Usually, someone who's not necessarily looking for the most exciting car, but wants it to last forever (and is willing to pay more for it). How does such a person take care of their car? They drive gently and maintain the car well.
  • Who buys a GM? Toyota has most of the aforementioned buyers. GM, due to the bad reputation that it can't shake (as discussed in this thread), gets the people who aren't so interested in reliability...and those are the ones who don't take such good care of their car.
You do the math. I suspect that if you gather data for badge-engineered Toyota/GM vehicles (Corolla/Prism, Matrix/Vibe, etc), the GM-branded car will have lower reliability than the same car with Toyota's name on it.
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:36 PM   #28
wullger
Supercharged

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Sure funny how it's my Sierra that's always jump-starting imports around town

My Vehicle: GMC Sierra
My Brother: Ford F150
Mom: Ford Crown Victoria
Dad (off-duty): Chevy Silverado
Dad (on-duty): Ford Crown Victoria (Police Interceptor package )

Grandma on Mom's side: Ford Taurus
Grandma on Dad's side: Ford Mustang (yes, my grandma drives a Mustang )
Grandpa on Dad's side: Ford F-350 diesel.

Nobody in this family drives an import!
wullger is offline   Reply With Quote