Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Texas

Old 01-22-2014, 08:52 AM   #1
Shep

Drives: 2013 Hot Wheels 2SS
Texas License Plates

I just moved to Texas and now it is time to put new plates on my vehicles. I have two vehicles that are 2013. From your experience, do I have to have an inspection on a vehicle that new (Sorry, this is the first state I have lived in out of 16 states that have inspections)? I am a little nervous about the inspections. I also have an 11 year old diesel truck. Should I do anything to it before it gets inspected? Any tips or tricks?
And, finally, do I have to put the stickers in my windows? I would rather not do that.

Thanks!
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:21 AM   #2
Rod Knock

Drives: 2003 Dodge Viper/2011 IOM SS vert
I know how you feel - it sucks having to use front plates AND 2 stickers in your front windshield. If you don't display both front and rear plates and the 2 stickers you "can" get puled over but there are some people who don't us the front plate and temp fate. When we moved here 6 years ago I had a custom SSR and was pulled over twice in first 60 daysfor no front plate but both times just got a warning and one officer said he really just wanted a closer look at my truck.

You will need an out of state inspection first then you will take paperwork form that to get your plate and stickers.

From someone who has always debadged his cars, I hate displaying the front plate and the stickers are hideous!
Rod Knock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:09 AM   #3
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
No plates on my cars ever.
However, I got pulled over ON 1 JAN 14 and got a front plate missing warning.
Old 01-28-2014, 12:33 PM   #4
Ice992
Semper Fi

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS A6
I got pulled for no front plate, I've run with only the inspection sticker in my window for a year though, even when pulled over for no front plate, and never been messed with for it.

I put a jacfab front license plate holder on the front and mounted my plate, now haven't been messed with at all in months... even sitting next to cops with them looking...

On your diesel (used to drive an 02' 1ton QC DRW cummins). Texas enacted a law about 2 years ago which basically says you have to have a muffler of some sort... previous law read that a "turbo" was a muffling device, and satisfied the law... basically allowing a turbo back straight pipe. Since yours' is pre-emissions ('07), you don't have to worry about cats.... just some form of muffler (can be an empty straight through can).

Ready to live life on your terms?

-H-Town Camaro Club-
Ice992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
Rafael205

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
I ran without a license plate for almost two years. No one ever gave me trouble until we had to drive to El Paso for a funeral. My father was driving and he was doing about 95 on an 80 and we ended up getting pulled over by a state trooper. He let us off with a warning for the speeding because we told him where we were headed, but he told us that we better get a front plate on the car or it's gonna be a ticket. Later on down the road another state trooper pulled us over, but this time he said he pulled us over for not having a front plate. We explained our situation and he let us go.
Old 02-05-2014, 12:44 AM   #6
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Here's a hint, no where in the law does it say anything about placement. So put it in the windshield when you're driving on the interstate and on long trips. If a police officer pulls you over(more than likely a bored cop in a small town) make sure to have a pre-printed copy of the location of the law and prove to him that it doesn't specify placement. I got away with a warning by doing this 3 different times now since the new year started.
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
My Caroline

Drives: Black 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfault View Post
Here's a hint, no where in the law does it say anything about placement. So put it in the windshield when you're driving on the interstate and on long trips. If a police officer pulls you over(more than likely a bored cop in a small town) make sure to have a pre-printed copy of the location of the law and prove to him that it doesn't specify placement. I got away with a warning by doing this 3 different times now since the new year started.
Actually it does. It states the plate is to be displayed on the forward most point of the vehicle. You're using an old low and getting lucky. The windshield is actually more "unlawful" than no front plate, because in the event of an accident, you just turned that plate into a deadly projectile, and you are simply drawing attention to the fact that it is not on the front of your car.

An offense is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.

Op, stickers are certainly required. And they even change colors every year so they can spot you faster.
Non-RS to RS and fog light harness by Gen5DIY
LED Interior, Trunk, and Licence Plate lights in white
ZL1 Spoiler with Gen5DIY harness
Factory NPP cat back
Blacked out tail light bezels
Factory 20 inch wheels wrapped in Nitto Motivos
Lowered 1.25inch on Eibach Pro springs
My Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:53 PM   #8
BEA5T.0

Drives: 2011 5.0
For a couple of years or so they screwed up the language in the law about front plates and were only able to hand out warnings. That was fixed recently and they are now able to ticket you for it. That being said, I still refuse to put mine on and would much rather pay the fine than drill holes in my bumper. Cops around my area don't seem to care much about front plates.
BEA5T.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:49 AM   #9
Smoke 'em
There's always a faster 1

Drives: (-,-)
I was pulled over about 12 years ago for not having a front plate and was issued a citation. As for the inspections, I was a state inspector for 10 years. First you need to get the vehicles insured in Texas. You wil not be able to get it inspected, registered, or even titled without it. On the 2013 I would call the DPS and tell them that you just moved here from another state and they may let you get by with just a safety inspection because the vehicle is less than 2 years old. They did that a number of times when I was inspecting cars. For the diesel only a safety inspection is required. When it comes to the safety inspection you will find yourself at the mercy of the inspector because it is his/her judgement call on a lot of things. Here is what is inspected. It may get lengthy but it actually is a short version so bare with me. If you want to get into the details you can alsways go to the TDPS website and look under inspections.
- Horn - must be audible within 200ft. The inspector is supposed to check the mounting and wiring also.
- Mirrors - no cracks, discoloration, and cannot be missing parts of the mirror. Also must be secured properly.
- Windshield - cannot be cracked to the point that it obstructs the drivers view. You want to hear something funny, you are not even required to have a windshield but you are required to have wipers and your inspection and registration sticker posted in the lower left hand corner of the windshield or in some way in that area. On that note the stickers are both required and either positioned with one over the other or side by side. I do not remember if they have to be placed in any particular order.
= None of the lights can have decorative covers over them like the ones on the Dodge rams with the ram on the brake lights or the phantom grills that you see on some of the Camaros. You can actually fail for that=
- Head lamps - high and low beam must be operable. The high beam indicator on the dash must illuminate as well. They must emit a light that is "white" in color unless the vehicle was factory equipped with something else. Like the HID lights. The following goes for all of the lights on the vehicle-- the lenses cannot be cracked to the point that light is emitting through the crack, sounds funny but that is how it is stated. More or less. The lenses cannot have holes in them or have a repair kit or tape on them.
- Turn signals - must be clear or amber in the front and red or amber in the rear. The indicator must lock into place but doesn't have to unlock after you complete the turn.
- Brake lights - must be red or amber in color and you are only required to have 2 that are operational. One on each side of the vehicle. Also the high mount brake light, or 3rd brake light as it is sometimes refered to as, does not have to be operational.
- License Plate light - Only one light is required and it must emit a "white" light.
-Reflectors - Rear - cannot be cracked or broken. Most are integrated into the brake lights.
- Brakes - The inspector is supposed to take the vehicle for a brake test. The vehicle is supposed to be accelerated to 20mph and stop within 20ft on cars and most pickups. Until you get over certain weights and sizes. If there is any metal on metal sound when the brakes are applied you are supposed to be failed automatically. The pedal cannot be too soft or have too much play. Also if you can move the gear selector on an automatic from park to rev without pressing the brake pedal then you are supposed to be failed for that as well.
- Brake system - brake warning light on dash must be operational and cannot remain illuminated while the vehicle is runnig. The ABS light does not matter. Brake fluid reservoir must not be below the min level. No visible leaks on the reservoir or any of the lines or hoses.
- Parking brake - must not allow the vehicle to move when fully applied under light acceleration.
- Fan/Serpentine Belts - cannot be too loose, have too many cracks, or be hanging on by theads. (you would be surprised) That is another thing that is at the inspectors descretion.
- Seat belts - must function properly and cannot be frayed or torn.
- Exhaust and Emissions system - mufflers (and catalytic coverters after 1984) must be present on the vehicle and free from holes, leaks, and rust. 80% of the inspectors don't really pay attention to it unless you give them a reason to because it requires them to get under the vehicle. There may not be anything in them but they are required to be present. If you are missing one or the other and you get one of the 20% that does check, all I can say is good luck it won't be fun. Same goes if the inspector thinks you dumped one or the other. They can report it and again, no fun. All of the components must be present such as the vent tubes, (if your vehicle was equipped with one, egr valve, pcv valve, air pump, evap canister.) Also the gas cap will be put on a machine to be tested to ensure that it is not leaking.
- Wiper blades - must be in good working order and free from any tears of more than 1 inch in any combination. Meaning that if it is torn 1/2 an inch on both ends or torn 1 inch in the middle, etc.
- Steering lash - steering wheel cannot have excessive play and must operate smoothly when making turns.
- Tires and Wheel assembly - tread must not be lower than 1/16th of an inch, no cord showing, or big gouges. If the lug nuts are exposed and not under a cap then all of them must be present and cannot be rounded off. The inspector is not required to pull the caps off. The rims cannot be dented or cracked. Another one of those that is really up to the inspector if there is any present damage.
- Window tint - cannot extend below the AS1 line or lower than 5 inches from the top of the vehicle on the front windshield. After 1988, on the front driver and passenger side it must transmit at least 25% light +/- 2% when tested. Any other windows in the back there is no limit. Also the tint cannot be red or amber in color.

= The rest of this only applies if the vehicle is over 80in in width=
- Clearance lamps -
- Side markers lamps -
- Side reflectors -
- Mud flaps - must have a clearance of 4 to 8in from the ground and cover the entire width of the tires if it is a dually.

It sounds like a lot but it only takes a good inspector an avg of 10 min to get it done once they start on it. Some will let you know if something is not going to pass before they even start but technically they are not supposed to. If for some reason you fail you still have to pay for it but you will have 15 days to get the issue fixed and bring it back to have it inspected again at no charge.

If you have to do the complete inspection on the 2013 instead of just the safety test you need to make sure of the following:
- the check engine light cannot be on. 99.9% of the time you will automatically fail for that.
- if you have lost power or removed the battery for any reason then you must ensure that you have completed the proper drive cycle before getting it tested because that causes the computer system to be reset and if anything shows not ready in the system then the vehicle will fail.

I hope I did not confuse you and that this helps you out.
Smoke 'em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 06:13 AM   #10
John E

Drives: 2014 2SS rs 6M
On the northwest side off of 1604 and Calabrea (outside) is a place called Simms, I found this location to be the best place to inspect your vehicles, fast, freindly and no wait no driving of vehicle. Some locations will run out of stickers, never had that problem at Simms. You can also get your mower repaired there to. Gotta love Texas. If you love beer head over to Hills and Dales icehouse and make some friends, 1604 and Babcock.
John E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:49 PM   #11
Dfault

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by My Caroline View Post
Actually it does. It states the plate is to be displayed on the forward most point of the vehicle. You're using an old low and getting lucky. The windshield is actually more "unlawful" than no front plate, because in the event of an accident, you just turned that plate into a deadly projectile, and you are simply drawing attention to the fact that it is not on the front of your car.

An offense is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200.

Op, stickers are certainly required. And they even change colors every year so they can spot you faster.

Well there ya have it folks. I was clearly wrong, so don't take my advice! Guess I'll just roll with no front plate and suffer the consequences when they come to me. However, I already have the bracket I just use wax like stuff to stick it on the bumper and then I snap a picture of it and send it to the city that issued the citation and get it cleared for a $30 admin fee. Yeah, they'll add up after so many but I refuse to put holes in my bumper...unless there is a cool way of mounting it like a BMW on the side of the bumper or something fancy...not what GM did.
Dfault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:18 AM   #12
Ice992
Semper Fi

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dfault View Post
Well there ya have it folks. I was clearly wrong, so don't take my advice! Guess I'll just roll with no front plate and suffer the consequences when they come to me. However, I already have the bracket I just use wax like stuff to stick it on the bumper and then I snap a picture of it and send it to the city that issued the citation and get it cleared for a $30 admin fee. Yeah, they'll add up after so many but I refuse to put holes in my bumper...unless there is a cool way of mounting it like a BMW on the side of the bumper or something fancy...not what GM did.
Jacfab license plate bracket.

Uses 2 mounting bolts on the underside of the bumper.

Ready to live life on your terms?

-H-Town Camaro Club-
Ice992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 07:25 AM   #13
Lawdog1911
ZL1 Dreamin

Drives: 1967 Camaro, 2010 2SS (RIP)
Anyone had experience with Texas euro plates offer on ebay?

Matte Black Jeep GC SRT8 20 inch wheels, SRT8 Sway Bars, Custom Hood, black Plasi-dip Custom Cross Road Runner Stripes and decals, Custom Rear Diffuser, Plasti-dip rear black out Panel. Halo Fog lights.

Please Help if you can Paypal: icanbe_reached@hotmail.com
Lawdog1911 is offline   Reply With Quote