Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-13-2011, 07:15 PM   #29
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
When we had our driveway poured a few years ago I asked the contractor if he would give me a gaurantee as far as the driveway cracking.

He looked at me and wasted no time and said "Absolutely. We give all of our jobs the same gaurantee. I gaurantee that eventually, your driveway will crack."

I had to admire his candor and honesty.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:16 PM   #30
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
First, KIA is Hyundai. They are financially linked.

Second, I work with a young man from Korea who has friends working for Hyundai. They hold deisgn contests. The winner is a Hyundai....................second place is the KIA. 3rd hand, I know. But I trust the source.

Hyundai/Kia is doing some great things. Mass? Excellent. They are getting it there. Powertrain? For FE they are getting that too. The two combined make a car that drives pretty well. Sonata 36 and Elantra at 40 with no ECO package. Pretty darn impressive.

However, the folks I trust rate Hyundais (include KIAs) as pretty average to poor for ride, handling and NVH. Things GM is typically very good at and what makes the Cruze and Malibu such outstanding cars.

So the content GM puts into NVH, Ride and Handling, Hyundai is putting in to push button start and features/content.

So swoopy styling and a little better FE vs. refinement, ride and handling.

Also Hyundai has made pretty strong gains in quality at least as far as CR and JD Power. Begining to look more like a threat than the joke they were 10 years ago.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:08 PM   #31
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
First, KIA is Hyundai. They are financially linked.

Second, I work with a young man from Korea who has friends working for Hyundai. They hold deisgn contests. The winner is a Hyundai....................second place is the KIA. 3rd hand, I know. But I trust the source.

Hyundai/Kia is doing some great things. Mass? Excellent. They are getting it there. Powertrain? For FE they are getting that too. The two combined make a car that drives pretty well. Sonata 36 and Elantra at 40 with no ECO package. Pretty darn impressive.

However, the folks I trust rate Hyundais (include KIAs) as pretty average to poor for ride, handling and NVH. Things GM is typically very good at and what makes the Cruze and Malibu such outstanding cars.

So the content GM puts into NVH, Ride and Handling, Hyundai is putting in to push button start and features/content.

So swoopy styling and a little better FE vs. refinement, ride and handling.

Also Hyundai has made pretty strong gains in quality at least as far as CR and JD Power. Begining to look more like a threat than the joke they were 10 years ago.
That makes perfect sense.

I haven't riden in ANY of them. Only seen and sat in them.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #32
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I have to be circle-walking, speech-slurring, flat blind drunk to ever put "impressed" and any foreign nameplate in the same sentence...but I'm anti-import that way, so it's okay.

I CAN agree they've improved on their past. Isn't saying much, imo, but it's true enough.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #33
Indpowr
Account Suspended

Drives: Corvette C6
Looks yes, awesome.

Drive, not so much. I rented one and hated it.
Indpowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:22 PM   #34
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Brag on the Kia all you want, she's still getting a Vette
Old 07-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #35
20Camaro11

Drives: SS
I too would give props to Kia/Hyundai, In 10-15 years...they have made huge gains in market share, quality, power, style...so on and so forth. Like all car companies, they have hits and misses in all those categories. I won't hate on it. I won't heap praise on it either. Same standard applies to GM, Ford, and Chrystler.
20Camaro11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:46 PM   #36
wstone5594

Drives: 2LT Cyber Gray w/ Titanium leather
Send a message via Yahoo to wstone5594
After I got my new Camaro last July, my wife decided in January that it was her turn for a new vehicle. She drove an '05 Honda CRV. Fully loaded, AWD, heated leather, etc. She found a pre-owned Accord that she wanted. We decided to look around at other dealers before comitting. We drove down the street and she spotted a row of Kia Sportages at the Kia dealer. We stopped to look and it was a very nice vehicle with comparable options. The only problem was the color, she didnt want red.

I suggested we look at the new for 2011 Kia Sorento. After taking a test drive, I was sold. Fully optioned, heated leather, Sirius radio, USB/iPod connection, third row seats, dual zone climate control, push button start, AND built in Georgia at Kia's new plant. Sticker was $29k. After the Honda trade-in and rebate, we financed $19k. I'm VERY happy with the purchase and and been recommending the NEW Kia's to anyone who asks.

That's my opinion FWIW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #37
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post
Old 07-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #38
PQ
Booooosted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCamaro69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I have to be circle-walking, speech-slurring, flat blind drunk to ever put "impressed" and any foreign nameplate in the same sentence...but I'm anti-import that way, so it's okay.

I CAN agree they've improved on their past. Isn't saying much, imo, but it's true enough.
I did have a few beers Monday night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indpowr View Post
Looks yes, awesome.

Drive, not so much. I rented one and hated it.
Fair enough. But you ARE used to driving some pretty damn nice vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Camaro11 View Post
I too would give props to Kia/Hyundai, In 10-15 years...they have made huge gains in market share, quality, power, style...so on and so forth. Like all car companies, they have hits and misses in all those categories. I won't hate on it. I won't heap praise on it either. Same standard applies to GM, Ford, and Chrystler.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wstone5594 View Post
After I got my new Camaro last July, my wife decided in January that it was her turn for a new vehicle. She drove an '05 Honda CRV. Fully loaded, AWD, heated leather, etc. She found a pre-owned Accord that she wanted. We decided to look around at other dealers before comitting. We drove down the street and she spotted a row of Kia Sportages at the Kia dealer. We stopped to look and it was a very nice vehicle with comparable options. The only problem was the color, she didnt want red.

I suggested we look at the new for 2011 Kia Sorento. After taking a test drive, I was sold. Fully optioned, heated leather, Sirius radio, USB/iPod connection, third row seats, dual zone climate control, push button start, AND built in Georgia at Kia's new plant. Sticker was $29k. After the Honda trade-in and rebate, we financed $19k. I'm VERY happy with the purchase and and been recommending the NEW Kia's to anyone who asks.

That's my opinion FWIW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow.

Well, I'm certainly not gonna go out and try one.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:33 PM   #39
Berean

Drives: Truck
I gotta learn how to do that multi quote thing.
Berean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:38 PM   #40
2FST2LIV2YNG2DY
...this is my addiction!

Drives: SOLD
if anything, the one thing Kia did right was the new Sorento.
2FST2LIV2YNG2DY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:41 PM   #41
gotroost

Drives: 2021 Crush ZL1 1LE
I just got back from Korea a couple of weeks ago. Keep an eye on the Kia and Hyundia lines. Rode in a Hyundia taxi that would rival any low end Mercedes and saw some prototype ads in the Incheon airport that would make any, but the most exotic euro luxury sedans, envious. Definitely not in the sports or muscle car lines, but they have some nice cars coming up.

And I really don't understand why there aren't more NASCAR or F1 drivers from Korea. They can dodge and weave with the best of them. Yeah, speeds are slower but it still takes cajones. If I was to start up a race team, I would be recruiting bus drivers and cabbies.
gotroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:04 PM   #42
Fuel Fire Desire

Drives: 2011 M6 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cd03gro View Post
That's insane.
I had a lifetime powertrain on my jeep.