Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Site Related Announcements / Suggestions / Feedback / Questions

Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:05 PM   #1
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Why no 1LE Section???

Hello out there. I have a question, why is there no 1LE section? The Z28 has ONLY been a rumor and at this point, IMHO, seeing a Z28 before the 6th gen Camaro comes out with it's own special (or let's see, the LS7?) engine is a very, very long shot.

But GM has asked us if they should build the 1LE. So this car is way beyond a rumor. Can't we have our own section where all the polls could reside and the 1LE fans can defend the concept? To me the 1LE is the Z28 I am looking for. I do not care what they call it. The 1LE with almost all the ZL1 engineering and a strong NA engine (the LS3) that can be more affordable is a Camaro that I will break out the wallet for.

And for those of you worrying about the car that cannot be named, The B***, look at that Motor Trend test where they were amazed that the ZL1 carried more speed through the corners and showed better braking.

So I say if you want to beat that pesky Ford with your 1LE, spend more time at the track. Given that the 1LE will be a little lighter than the ZL1 the race should be pretty even with one or the other having a slight advantage depending on the track. A driver's race for sure. The best kind.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
The April 2011 Car and Driver magazine reported that GM would announce the 5th Gen Z28 in April 2012 after the first ZL1's hit the street. Hopefully their correct.
Old 02-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #3
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda7050 View Post
The April 2011 Car and Driver magazine reported that GM would announce the 5th Gen Z28 in April 2012 after the first ZL1's hit the street. Hopefully their correct.
I missed that. So they are thinking of building both?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:28 PM   #4
Cuda7050

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
According to C&D "Around April 2012, Chevy will release what so far has been referred to by insiders as the Track Pack. This significantly stiffened Camaro will be the hard core version, with handling as the focus.....The Track Pack, which might inherit the Z28 moniker, could have an upgraded iteration of the standard V8 or a version of the LS7". I guess it could also be the 1LE, but probably not. To me, it makes sense that Chevy waits until after the ZL1 is out before announcing the Z28/1LE to get maximum affect for the brand.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:55 PM   #5
garcmol

Drives: 10 1LT SIM; 91 B4C sleeper Z
When the 1LE is (very hopeful) announced that it will go into production, I guarantee there will be a section for it!!
Old 02-20-2012, 05:59 PM   #6
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
When the 1LE is (very hopeful) announced that it will go into production, I guarantee there will be a section for it!!
Old 02-20-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
So far it seems the larger conversation is about a Z28.

So far the 1LE hasn't left the concept garage, yet...for example - the Leno car drives...was thought to be the Z28 look back in 2010...but we didn't make a Leno section.

If Chevy were to bring the 1LE to life...you can bet we'll give it a subforum!
Old 02-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #8
Fraxum

I suppose I am still not convinced Chevy wil build the Track Pack, 1LE, or Z28 since the ZL1 is so successful on a race track and not just at the drags. It is sort of like splitting hairs for GM. It is a very small market.

And since at least they seem to be asking us if they should build the 1LE I thought this car might be closer to reality. So therefore I thought having a 1LE section might pull GM over the edge.

Everyone who talks about the Z28 seems to want more power or no Z28. But this is not in the spirit of the Z28. The original was not all that special in the rwhp category. A higher powered car is not any lighter.

In the end after reading about what the ZL1 re-engineering has accomplished I want that in a more affordable car. And it is not just the handling. The durability aspect of the rear and the transmission is very attractive given the weaknesses of the stock SS. If I want more power that is very easy to get with the LS3. A stroked, forged LS3 can go over 500 rwhp and I would not have to touch the rest of the car.

So I hope they build something. But then I fear they will build an even better affordable super car based on the ATS technology. Will I ever be without a car payment again?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
So I hope they build something. But then I fear they will build an even better affordable super car based on the ATS technology. Will I ever be without a car payment again?
If you are a new Camaro Enthusiast...welcome to the ranks of eternal payments.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
garcmol

Quote:
In the end after reading about what the ZL1 re-engineering has accomplished I want that in a more affordable car. And it is not just the handling. The durability aspect of the rear and the transmission is very attractive given the weaknesses of the stock SS. If I want more power that is very easy to get with the LS3. A stroked, forged LS3 can go over 500 rwhp and I would not have to touch the rest of the car.
Excellent point! Did you post this on the "should we.....1LE" ?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by garcmol View Post
Excellent point! Did you post this on the "should we.....1LE" ?
Yes and a few others made that point. But the 1LE does not seem to be catching on. Everyone talks about more motor and the Z28, espacially the LS7. To me, nice motor, but not worth how much more expensive it will make the car. Especailly since i know LS7 level power can be achieved with very affordable LS3 mods.

But if there is not enough interest then the 1LE would be a loser for Chevy.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
If you are a new Camaro Enthusiast...welcome to the ranks of eternal payments.
I Have been a car slut my while life. But it's so fun.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #13
Fraxum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuda7050 View Post
According to C&D "Around April 2012, Chevy will release what so far has been referred to by insiders as the Track Pack. This significantly stiffened Camaro will be the hard core version, with handling as the focus.....The Track Pack, which might inherit the Z28 moniker, could have an upgraded iteration of the standard V8 or a version of the LS7". I guess it could also be the 1LE, but probably not. To me, it makes sense that Chevy waits until after the ZL1 is out before announcing the Z28/1LE to get maximum affect for the brand.
I hope the magazines are right. Someting must be up.

I have already started prepping my CFO. She is not quite on board yet. Perhaps a tennis bracelet will help. Of course then the quandry is which to choose: A nice bracelet or forged LS3? About the same $$.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:22 PM   #14
garcmol

I'm working on mine too. She did ask me, "Your next Camaro will be automatic, right?"

.....all i heard was YOUR NEXT CAMARO,
I don't need or want LS7 for the reasons you stated. Too easy to get there with an LS3.

Closed Thread