Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > Engine | Exhaust | Bolt-On | Drivetrain Modifications

Old 06-22-2017, 11:04 PM   #1
ZL1 FOR ME
Formerly RJT2SSRS

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Boost question.

May be a weird question, but is there a way to slow down how fast boost builds? Thinking if max boost could come in a little slower driving on road courses may improve. Not looking to limit max boost.
ZL1 FOR ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:36 PM   #2
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Black
NLR, Next Level Racing makes a boost controller that is well respected in the motorcycle world...If I'm not mistaken it can be used on cars as well...The device has setting to bring on boost by time, gear position, etc...Check them out they may be able to assist you in this area...The device is called the AMS 2000...

STUNNAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:05 AM   #3
Redlineviper

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUNNAH View Post
NLR, Next Level Racing makes a boost controller that is well respected in the motorcycle world...If I'm not mistaken it can be used on cars as well...The device has setting to bring on boost by time, gear position, etc...Check them out they may be able to assist you in this area...The device is called the AMS 2000...
Those are set up to work a solenoid that feeds a wastegate. Since the boost is sourced from a belt spinning around a pulley that would not work.

The best and cheapest smooth power delivery system is your right foot.
Old 06-27-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
Quote:
????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineviper View Post
This.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 09:53 PM   #5
ZL1 FOR ME
Formerly RJT2SSRS

Thanks for all the info guys. Still working on that right foot :-)
Old 07-01-2017, 04:22 AM   #6
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineviper View Post
Those are set up to work a solenoid that feeds a wastegate. Since the boost is sourced from a belt spinning around a pulley that would not work.

Can a controller be sourced to activate based off the manifold pressure???Just asking as there appears to be several boost controllers available for superchargers that are not related to any function of a wastegate...

Old 07-01-2017, 09:58 AM   #7
ABADZL1
ZL1 Pilot

Quote:
Can a controller be sourced to activate based off the manifold pressure???Just asking as there appears to be several boost controllers available for superchargers that are not related to any function of a wastegate...
No. If you want boost to come on a little slower and linear, ditch the pds and go centri

GP Tuning 2.5 Cam, RPS Carbon Twin Clutch, Ported Blower, Kook's Headers, Cold Air Inductions CAI, ID850's, 9.17 Lower, 2.5 Upper, JMS BAP, Pedders Front Radius Arm Inserts, Whiteline Subframe Inserts, Tuned by me with HP Tuners
Idle Clip Link...........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTL8S9eHwbs
ABADZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #8
ZO6 Bryan

Drives: 02 Z06, 95 Trans Am, 2012 ZL1
I believe this is what you are looking for.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2017, 11:59 AM   #9
ABADZL1
ZL1 Pilot

I forgot about that table. I guess you can lower the duty cycle and slow boost that way. Here's a description from GM on how it works.

The ECM controls boost pressure by using the boost control solenoid. The boost control solenoid is normally an open valve. Under most conditions, the ECM commands the boost control solenoid to operate at a 99–100 % duty cycle. This keeps the solenoid valve closed and allows only inlet vacuum to control the position of the bypass valve. At idle, engine vacuum is applied to the upper side of the bypass valve actuator, counteracting spring tension to hold the bypass valve open. As engine load is increased, engine vacuum is decreased, causing the spring in the bypass valve actuator to overcome the applied vacuum, closing the bypass valve and allowing the boost pressure to increase. The bypass valve starts to close when the vacuum measures 10 in Hg and is fully closed at 3.5 in Hg. When reduced boost pressure is desired, the ECM commands the boost control solenoid to operate at a 0 % duty cycle, but may command a partial duty cycle, approximately 62 %, depending on the operating condition. This opens the solenoid valve and allows boost pressure to enter the bypass valve actuator at the lower side to counteract the spring tension, opening the bypass valve and re-circulating excess boost pressure back into the supercharger inlet.

GP Tuning 2.5 Cam, RPS Carbon Twin Clutch, Ported Blower, Kook's Headers, Cold Air Inductions CAI, ID850's, 9.17 Lower, 2.5 Upper, JMS BAP, Pedders Front Radius Arm Inserts, Whiteline Subframe Inserts, Tuned by me with HP Tuners
Idle Clip Link...........https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTL8S9eHwbs
ABADZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 01:46 PM   #10
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
You can also control the boost ramp in rate (to a degree at least) by adjusting the Boost Solenoid Duty Ramp Rate and Boost Solenoid Integral Adjustment.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 10:53 PM   #11
ZL1 FOR ME
Formerly RJT2SSRS

Great info. Thanks for the boost control info ABADZL1 and DrkPhx.
Old 07-02-2017, 12:12 AM   #12
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABADZL1 View Post
I forgot about that table. I guess you can lower the duty cycle and slow boost that way. Here's a description from GM on how it works.

The ECM controls boost pressure by using the boost control solenoid. The boost control solenoid is normally an open valve. Under most conditions, the ECM commands the boost control solenoid to operate at a 99–100 % duty cycle. This keeps the solenoid valve closed and allows only inlet vacuum to control the position of the bypass valve. At idle, engine vacuum is applied to the upper side of the bypass valve actuator, counteracting spring tension to hold the bypass valve open. As engine load is increased, engine vacuum is decreased, causing the spring in the bypass valve actuator to overcome the applied vacuum, closing the bypass valve and allowing the boost pressure to increase. The bypass valve starts to close when the vacuum measures 10 in Hg and is fully closed at 3.5 in Hg. When reduced boost pressure is desired, the ECM commands the boost control solenoid to operate at a 0 % duty cycle, but may command a partial duty cycle, approximately 62 %, depending on the operating condition. This opens the solenoid valve and allows boost pressure to enter the bypass valve actuator at the lower side to counteract the spring tension, opening the bypass valve and re-circulating excess boost pressure back into the supercharger inlet.
I guess this is a table from HP Tuners, and it does support that boost from a SC can be reduced...So it is possible that other devices are available to reduce the boost of a SC in a similar manner...So OP you now have the info provided by experienced tuners to support my position...IJS...

Old 07-02-2017, 12:15 AM   #13
STUNNAH
"BEASTM*DE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1 FOR ME View Post
Great info. Thanks for the boost control info ABADZL1 and DrkPhx.
What about thanks to Z06 Bryan and STUNNAH... lol

Old 07-02-2017, 10:14 PM   #14
ZL1 FOR ME
Formerly RJT2SSRS

And of course thanks to Z06 Bryan and STUNNAH. I feel properly and politely reprimanded:-) Was that to touchy fee-lie?