Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-28-2011, 01:47 PM   #1
Ice Demon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Cam Timing

I was talking to one of my friends that is a big mustang fanboy and he just bought a 2008 Mustang gt California special. We started talking about the engine. He was telling me that the timing in the dual overhead cams could be advanced to get more hp. Now he did tell me that he heard this from a salesman at the ford dealer. Now I am not really convinced that's this is true because he got this info from a salesmen. So my question is does anyone know if this is true and if it is true could this trick be used on the LLT with its dual overhead cams?
Ice Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
NO.With the dual overhead cam VVT DI motor cam timing HAS to be set as designed.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
It is true and Vince (Trifecta tuner) is changing the VVT to get more hp, add the ghost cam (sound only, no performance) and increase the compression ratio for running E85. Pretty cool stuff.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:04 PM   #4
Dave Coyle

Drives: 2010 SS , 1970 Z-28, 2002 Avalanche
Not sure on the new VVT cars but on the "old school" cams you could advance the cam 4 degrees to move the power band of the cam up a few hundred RPM or retard it 4 degrees to lower the range. Example, if the power range of a cam was 2000 - 6500 RPM your would move the range up to 2400 - 6900 RPM or lower it to 1600 - 6100 RPM.
Kooks 1 7/8 LT Headers/Hi-Flo Cats/Corsa Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI / Port Intake
Precission 2400/2800 Converter/3.73 AAM gears
Livernois Motorsports Tune

Best time: 11.97 @ 117 MPH
Dave Coyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
Ice Demon

So it is possible but the vvt will have to be adjusted to make it work. Cool I might me getting a trifecta tune instead of holding out for a hp tuner. Gretchen any idea of when Vince will figure out the vvt and cam timing?

Mods on LLT: K&N cai with washer bottle delete , BBK long tube headers with high flow cats, and muffler delete.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:02 PM   #6
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire and Ice View Post
So it is possible but the vvt will have to be adjusted to make it work. Cool I might me getting a trifecta tune instead of holding out for a hp tuner. Gretchen any idea of when Vince will figure out the vvt and cam timing?

Mods on LLT: K&N cai with washer bottle delete , BBK long tube headers with high flow cats, and muffler delete.
He's already doing it. Just PM him and he can get you all the details.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:14 PM   #7
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
That's what vince have already done to his latest tune update for 13hp and nice amount of torque. Our LLT is so hard to get a good amount of horse power due to the way the knock sensor is programmed. You can use 93 all day long but during wot the ecm will pull back lots of timing each and every single time just for the hell of it it seems lol. I monitor knock every single day with my gauges and we get about 3* pulled back just for pressing the gas pedal. That's how horrible this KR is programmed with our cars. With 87 octane it's even worst. One of the reason why we was able to get a nice amount of power from the e85 was due to "zero" knock mainly and able to control overlap slightly to raise it's effective compression. Bigger bang and zero knock is what e85 will do for ya

There's some things that's in the works as of right now so stay tuned
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
OOLIE

Drives: 2011 LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmorecam View Post
That's what vince have already done to his latest tune update for 13hp and nice amount of torque. Our LLT is so hard to get a good amount of horse power due to the way the knock sensor is programmed. You can use 93 all day long but during wot the ecm will pull back lots of timing each and every single time just for the hell of it it seems lol. I monitor knock every single day with my gauges and we get about 3* pulled back just for pressing the gas pedal. That's how horrible this KR is programmed with our cars. With 87 octane it's even worst. One of the reason why we was able to get a nice amount of power from the e85 was due to "zero" knock mainly and able to control overlap slightly to raise it's effective compression. Bigger bang and zero knock is what e85 will do for ya

You gotta stop teasing us!!
Old 11-28-2011, 03:25 PM   #9
bmwdon
I refuse to go smurfy

Drives: 2009 Challenger SRT8, 2010 Camaro
just have to be careful with messing around with valve timing, especially if it's variable on both exhaust and intake....wouldn't want them suckers overlapping and trying to play the 6K rpm who's going to win the "this is my spot" game. between vvt on both cams and and slight stretch on the timing chains....it could happen if not careful.

-Bill...the Camaro was my wifes, now she's got a minivan
Challenger- 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Procharger D1 Supercharger: 10.895 @ 126.720 MPH
bmwdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 03:33 PM   #10
bcperry
Engineer in Training

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
I wanna know!!! I wanna know!!!
Old 11-28-2011, 03:52 PM   #11
bmorecam
Account Suspended

Drives: jealous vendors mad!! HAHA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOLIE View Post
You gotta stop teasing us!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcperry View Post
I wanna know!!! I wanna know!!!
You guys will find out soon enough! It might be nothing or it might be something. Is all theory until proven otherwise

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwdon View Post
just have to be careful with messing around with valve timing, especially if it's variable on both exhaust and intake....wouldn't want them suckers overlapping and trying to play the 6K rpm who's going to win the "this is my spot" game. between vvt on both cams and and slight stretch on the timing chains....it could happen if not careful.
I'm sure it is variable on the intake and exhaust. I don't think vince will be adjusting anything drastic or more than what he already have done for both the gas tune and e85. I think that area is already set
bmorecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #12
Ice Demon

[QUOTE=bmorecam;4088635]You guys will find out soon enough! It might be nothing or it might be something. Is all theory until proven otherwise

Very interesting very interesting indead
Old 11-28-2011, 04:38 PM   #13
Ice Demon

I'm sure it is variable on the intake and exhaust. I don't think vince will be adjusting anything drastic or more than what he already have done for both the gas tune and e85. I think that area is already set[/QUOTE]

Good to hear
Old 11-28-2011, 09:38 PM   #14
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
You guys will find out soon enough! It might be nothing or it might be something. Is all theory until proven otherwise

I'm sure it is variable on the intake and exhaust. I don't think vince will be adjusting anything drastic or more than what he already have done for both the gas tune and e85. I think that area is already set
so what your saying is he found a way to tweak the flux capacitor and couple it to the overdrive flex shaft and produce 10,000,000 jiggawatts of "rippin and tearin" awesomeness? ...therotically that is