Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-28-2012, 07:38 PM   #1
jmontalvo

Drives: 2011 Rally Yellow 2LS
Post BBK header installation

Ok so I just got my headers installed and I was wondering if any of you guys smelled like something was burning after running the car a little hard after installation? The headers are the silver ceramic coated ones.

I'm new to this so I'm not sure if this is how the headers get broken in or not.

I parked my car and the temp read 216 Fahrenheit which is normalish for my area.
|Trifecta Tune|Custom Magnaflow Exhaust|Cold Air Inductions C.A.I.|BBK LTs w/ HFC|Anvil Rear Notch Glossy CF Spoiler|Body Color Heritage Grille|10 spoke polished ZL1 replica wheels|VMAX ported TB|RS Headlights|Night Owl RGB Halos
jmontalvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:09 PM   #2
Yellow_Glide

Drives: 2011 1LT "Chakita". 04 Yota
Did u wipe them down after the install with alcohol? If not, it probably the oils, dust, etc burning off .

Build thread: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3847083

Yellow_Glide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
That's bc it's running lean I believe, mine was doing it today too, good lord I love these things, an eye AND ear pleaser
Old 09-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
jmontalvo

I did not. So the smell should be normal for a couple of days, right?
|Trifecta Tune|Custom Magnaflow Exhaust|Cold Air Inductions C.A.I.|BBK LTs w/ HFC|Anvil Rear Notch Glossy CF Spoiler|Body Color Heritage Grille|10 spoke polished ZL1 replica wheels|VMAX ported TB|RS Headlights|Night Owl RGB Halos
Old 09-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #5
usa1camaro1969
Back on the dino-juice

Drives: '10 LS + a few more
The ceramic coating will still cure for a few cycles and then yes, it will go away. You'll be fine.
usa1camaro1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
jmontalvo

Thanks! The way exhaust sounded at idle was nowhere near where I thought it would be. Kinda disappointing. I got on the expressway after they got installed and I felt it!

Can't wait to see what it's like when it's finally broken in!
Old 09-28-2012, 09:18 PM   #7
JEFF75645

Drives: his wife crazy buying mods
Like everyone has already stated it will stop after few times of letting it sit while running. Mine smoked a little bit also but stopped shortly after letting it heat up.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:36 PM   #8
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
So what's the post installation verdict? What do you mean by disappointing sound at idle?

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
CamaroV6
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6 1LT Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmontalvo View Post
Thanks! The way exhaust sounded at idle was nowhere near where I thought it would be. Kinda disappointing.
Get rid of your magnaflow's and leave the high flow cat's and you will really like the rumble at idle....Mine was straight piped back when i first got the header's in had to go buy the magnaflow X pipe to calm it down and my butt dyno say's that it picked up some acceleration due to the X-pipe

Here's a vid of my first start up with the header's

and here's the car running the ghost cam with only high flow cat's that come with the bbk's.
CamaroV6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:45 PM   #10
jmontalvo

lscamaro: My final verdict will come later on when it's fully broken in. My first impression was that it didn't sound as deep as I thought it would be but it really opened up the way the engine sounded. I can hear it be able to breathe just a tad bit more comfortable. The ghost cam sounds alright. I saw a clip of somebody who had almost the same set up as me (substitute OBX LTs) and it had a real smooth, deep growl at idle. That's what I was going for. The revs didn't really excite me on the outside as it did inside. The drone picked up but I think I can get used to it with some music.

CamaroV6: that's the rumble I want out of my exhaust at idle! The only thing I don't like is the amount of rasp that it has. Maybe cutouts are in my future.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #11
lscamaro

Drives: 2011 CGM Camaro LS A6
I think if anything, the resonated x pipe and a delete of your mufflers will sound like you want it to. It won't rasp with the x-pipe so that might be the perfect sound for you

Click Picture for Build Thread
lscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:55 PM   #12
jmontalvo

I'll check how my cold start is in the morning. If I absolutely love it, I won't change my exhaust setup. If not, well... There go 2/3 of my mufflers.
Old 09-29-2012, 11:11 AM   #13
simt3k

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS 2LT
have any videos of you driving with the BBK headers and x pipe, interior sound and exterior? Also are you 2.5 or 3 all the way from the x pipe?

Post vids! I am sure your car sounds bad ass.
simt3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 02:58 PM   #14
jmontalvo

http://youtu.be/3QmsLpZHp0s

This is how mine sounded this morning