Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 07-25-2014, 08:24 PM   #15
cornerspeed92

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall421 View Post
Where did you guys buy the separate clutch reservoir and line? Someone have a kit?
JDPmotorsports
Old 07-25-2014, 09:04 PM   #16
Baggerjack

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall421 View Post
Where did you guys buy the separate clutch reservoir and line? Someone have a kit?
http://www.jdpmotorsports.com/jdp-st...s-zl1-jdpc1002
Crystal Red Tintcoat, NPP, Recaro Seats, Sunroof and SLP Skip Shift, ZL1 rockers, TSP Stage 4 "F35" cam, PRC 260cc heads, GPI radically ported LS3 Intake, K&N CAI and JDP Motorsports Stage 2 Clutch Reservoir Kit, TSP Longtubes, off road connectors and high flow cats, aFe POWER Solid Subframe mounts, Brembo 6 piston calipers and two piece rotors
Baggerjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:18 PM   #17
ADR01T

Drives: '14 1LE | 04 RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeDaMutt View Post
Agreed. In fact, I have an appointment on Monday with service at my dealer that I plan to cancel. This is my first big V8 American car and I come from high performance turbo 4's and flat 6's. I'd bet people who are used to the big V8's would find some of the turbo 4 noises odd at first too!
I just want to get through the break in period so I can really experience some "noise".. followed by much maniacal laughter!

Grats on the new 1LE!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Same background for me, still have an 04' RX8. I wrote a thread in the transmission forum but I found that my transmission has been much quieter since changing the stock fluid out for Redline D4 ATF. its 40$ and worth a shot. Noise or not, it DEFINITELY shifts much MUCH smoother while the drivetrain is warming up. It used to be downright cantankerous until everything heated up. The Redline solved much of my cold shifting woes. I say cold, I'm in SC so nothing ever really gets 'cold' but you know what I'm trying to say (I hope).
ADR01T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 09:29 PM   #18
SSMY1LE

Drives: '14 1LE RS NPP Recaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADR01T View Post
Same background for me, still have an 04' RX8. I wrote a thread in the transmission forum but I found that my transmission has been much quieter since changing the stock fluid out for Redline D4 ATF. its 40$ and worth a shot. Noise or not, it DEFINITELY shifts much MUCH smoother while the drivetrain is warming up. It used to be downright cantankerous until everything heated up. The Redline solved much of my cold shifting woes. I say cold, I'm in SC so nothing ever really gets 'cold' but you know what I'm trying to say (I hope).
How many quarts of Redline did you use ??
Old 07-25-2014, 10:10 PM   #19
giant_g2

Drives: '13 1LE, '89 Caprice
It would take 4 quarts in the trans.

You can get the clutch kit cheaper yourself, if you are willing to make the bracket. I bought the aluminum for $10, reservoir for $20, hose was $5, and caps were $8 for 25. Just remember it had to be EPDM rubber.
giant_g2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 04:44 AM   #20
ADR01T

Drives: '14 1LE | 04 RX-8
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMY1LE View Post
How many quarts of Redline did you use ??
Like giant_g2 said, 4qts. I had a tiny bit left over in the 4th after spilling some getting the syringe-thing I bought to work right.
ADR01T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 07:46 PM   #21
Camarotobeornottobe

Drives: 1LE
I ordered a gallon of D4 and will put in next Friday. Will report back.
Camarotobeornottobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 12:48 PM   #22
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Some tranny/clutch bearing rattle noise is normal on these particular iterations, don't sweat it, plain n simple.

Switching to Redline D4 ATF made no difference at all in my application (I love to experiment), but FWIW, it did make a difference solving my previous ride's fabled BMW "Getrag rattle" by using a slightly thicker viscosity from Redline. Generally speaking, the Redline product is known to solve cold shifting issues in other applications. I don't drive Sledge in the cold, so I can't report back on the cold shift and Redline D4 ATF, other than it made no difference in the sound in question here.
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 07:17 PM   #23
Camarotobeornottobe

Camaro Dude - your noise is the faint low RPM growl/backlash that gets drowned out by an open window or at 3000 RPM?

Just trying to make sure we're talking about the same thing. Seems this tranny has lots of noise issues, and other threads may or may not be on point. Seems like the Corvette guys have threads more on point than I've seen here ...
Old 07-27-2014, 08:15 PM   #24
Camaro Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarotobeornottobe View Post
Camaro Dude - your noise is the faint low RPM growl/backlash that gets drowned out by an open window or at 3000 RPM?

Just trying to make sure we're talking about the same thing. Seems this tranny has lots of noise issues, and other threads may or may not be on point. Seems like the Corvette guys have threads more on point than I've seen here ...
You are correct that my rattle post above did not address your opener, we are indeed talking about to different types of scenarios here, but trust me that they are completely intertwined. The sound you speak of does indeed get drowned out with open window, and does seem to vanish as rpm's go up, and this is when it's most audible, when rolling slowly and rpms are low. It's hard to describe it, as you slowly roll away from a dead stop, at slow speed and low rpm's especially. I can understand your sense of how dynomat right under the tunnel would help. It's a hard sound to describe, almost sounds like the cars driveline is a huge chain, with noisy sprockets, instead of a smooth rubber belt design.

If this is what you speak of, it's normal .
Old 07-28-2014, 06:39 AM   #25
Camarotobeornottobe

Yea, exactly. Like gears rolling over. Very faint. Like I said, I almost like it.

U have it and the D4 doesn't change it? That correct?

I know my Mustang T56 Magnum made a little of this and a lot of some more offensive noises

I already bought the D4. I was considering buying one qt of the Redline MTL and doing a 3:1 mix to thicken it slightly under the theory it would mitigate noise transmission. A couple of Corvette guys swear by it in their TR6060s. Haven't seen where anyone on this forum tried it.

Last edited by Camarotobeornottobe; 07-28-2014 at 07:22 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:40 PM   #26
Camaro Dude

I tried the Redline MT-90 over the MTL on one of my previous (years now gone) BMW with infamous "Getrag rattle", and it completely cured it. In fact, I may have been one of the first, if not the first to openly report this finding regarding the MT-90 on that particular application and of course, that particular model specific forum. However, it should be noted that the Getrag rattle I was closely monitoring, really began to sound significant as the miles began to pile on, so in essence it was age, wear and tear related. I put that car to sleep at 500000km of hard driving, still on the original transmission , with over double the hp over stock at the engine.

Back to our trannies, I'll hold off experimentation on my practically still brand new car, in light of the fact that the Redline D4 made no difference at all. If you do decide to try out something thicker, "just to see...", by all means please do report back your observations!
Old 07-28-2014, 06:15 PM   #27
RyanR3KC
"1/LE Rebel Alliance"

Drives: 18 Black 1SS 1LE “Siouxsie
I noticed a "whirring" tranny noise when driving home after my first track day. The noise sounded like it was accelerating then worked itself out. I Havent had any issues since that day.
RyanR3KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 07:17 PM   #28
Camarotobeornottobe

I'm sticking with the D4 only. Since all indications are this is a normal condition from this tranny, and it gets better with breakin, I'm not going to get cute.