Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > Canada

Old 05-29-2014, 11:54 PM   #1
ocy9

Drives: train
Camaro rust resistance

I've wanted a 5th gen Camaro ever since I first saw it on the road. That was several years ago, but I still look at the this car the same way now as I did back then. I'm now 25 and am finally in a position to buy one, but there are a few things I'm concerned about. I live in Toronto, ON, and we get plenty of snow during the winters around here. Given that I only have one parking spot, the Camaro (if I decide to buy it) will have to be my daily driver through all seasons. I've already read up on threads about driving Camaros in the snow, and I think I might be able to handle it if I get a decent set of winter tires and take it easy on slippery roads.

The main issue I'm worried about is rust. How well does the 5th gen Camaro resist rust compared to other makes such as Volvo, VW and Audi? I can't find any info on this, and this article is all I really have to go by. They list Chevy as one of the least rust resistant cars. Even though they don't mention the Camaro specifically, it does worry me a bit.
ocy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
I drove mine this past winter and you would be hard pressed to find any rust on the undercarriage.

This was the cars first winter as far as I know,it had only 20,000 kms and an in service date of Nov 2009.

Since last April it now has 52,000kms as my DD

Get it you will love it.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 11:33 PM   #3
ocy9

Drives: train
I did just cross out another car from my list today (Genesis Coupe), so this is the only one left now. I still need to look at whether or not I'll be OK with the fuel economy as my commute is about 30-40% city and the rest highway, but that's a different story.

I've been searching other threads on this topic and it seems that the owner's manual doesn't recommend rust proofing. Why is that? Does it mean that the Camaro comes with some kind of factory rust proofing?
ocy9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 05:25 AM   #4
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocy9 View Post
I did just cross out another car from my list today (Genesis Coupe), so this is the only one left now. I still need to look at whether or not I'll be OK with the fuel economy as my commute is about 30-40% city and the rest highway, but that's a different story.

I've been searching other threads on this topic and it seems that the owner's manual doesn't recommend rust proofing. Why is that? Does it mean that the Camaro comes with some kind of factory rust proofing?
They use double galvanised steel treated with hightech rust inhibiting primer then it is painted.

You get 7yr rust through protection from the factory.

So unless your keeping it 10 plus years I would just leave it be.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:17 PM   #5
slededorilllia
slededorillia

Drives: 2011 camaro 2ss convertible
ya i wouldn't be worried about the rust issue....i was reading up in one of my camaro production books about the paint process and it sounds pretty good how the car is dipped in a special primer to fill all the gaps of the underbody, and they use a special process to bond the paint.....so i could understand how they would put a 7 year paint warranty on it, as their confident there will be no issues.....good luck...
slededorilllia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:13 AM   #6
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
I take mine in for Krown rustproofing once a year. I plan on keeping this car for a long time though. Winter tires are necessary if you get a V6 with RS package, SS or ZL1. They come with summers only but the V6 (sans RS) comes with all seasons.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #7
Connorscamaro

Drives: 2013 Chevrolet Camaro/1994 Mustang
I just drove mine for the winter this year. and I'm just outside Toronto. this winter was pretty insane and I'm not too worried about the rust. my dealership offers 7 year rust warranty and by the time it fully rusts I'll
be looking into a newer camaro
Old 06-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #8
TomF1

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Chev Rust

I paid extra for the rust proofing and 10 yr warrantee on my 06 Monte Carlo. They didn't make Camaro's back then. Starting before 3 years old, I've been to RustCheck every fall. 5 times they rustproofed it.
And still it will rust.
I have rust on both Rear fenders, through and through.
And the denied my claim!!! They don't cover rust on seams.

So, my winter beater is a rusted MonteCarlo SS. I want to put it on display at the dealership. I can use the rust protection warrantee and the Claim Denied letter as the window sticker.

If its a chevy, it WILL RUST. no matter what you do.

P.S. I had the Camaro ZL1 into Rustcheck at 1 week old, and before I put it away for winter.
TomF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:57 AM   #9
rock1962

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF1 View Post
I paid extra for the rust proofing and 10 yr warrantee on my 06 Monte Carlo. They didn't make Camaro's back then. Starting before 3 years old, I've been to RustCheck every fall. 5 times they rustproofed it.
And still it will rust.
I have rust on both Rear fenders, through and through.
And the denied my claim!!! They don't cover rust on seams.

So, my winter beater is a rusted MonteCarlo SS. I want to put it on display at the dealership. I can use the rust protection warrantee and the Claim Denied letter as the window sticker.

If its a chevy, it WILL RUST. no matter what you do.

P.S. I had the Camaro ZL1 into Rustcheck at 1 week old, and before I put it away for winter.
Maybe it is Rustcheck try Oilguard next time. I have had good results with those guys.
rock1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
skuttduck

Drives: 2010 RJT 2LT Camaro
Send a message via ICQ to skuttduck Send a message via AIM to skuttduck Send a message via Yahoo to skuttduck
If you come to BBOMG in Oshawa you can check out my car. It has been in all Michigan Winters since 2009. I have a bit on the under carriage but what really sucks is the washers for the high wing spoiler. Those are the worst.
Old 06-24-2014, 02:58 PM   #11
ferdi_heng
2LT '14

Drives: Camaro coupe 2LT 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
I take mine in for Krown rustproofing once a year. I plan on keeping this car for a long time though. Winter tires are necessary if you get a V6 with RS package, SS or ZL1. They come with summers only but the V6 (sans RS) comes with all seasons.
is all seasons good on winter time..?
because i understand camaro is RWD not ALL or Front.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:08 PM   #12
ferdi_heng
2LT '14

Drives: Camaro coupe 2LT 2014
do you guys get rust protection plan from Gm. like below :

The full protection for your new car is Diamond Kote Complete.
We will install Platinum Series DK9000 Electronic Corrosion Module and we will apply paint protection and interior protection as well.
This will ensure your new car will stay looking new.
The rust protection we will warranty for 10 years, paint protection 5 years and interior protection for 3 years.
The cost of the protection in $1,299 which includes a $200 discount.

i am getting 2LT this month.
Thanks
Old 06-25-2014, 07:10 PM   #13
TomF1

Drives: 2013 CRT ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferdi_heng View Post
do you guys get rust protection plan from Gm. like below :

The full protection for your new car is Diamond Kote Complete.
We will install Platinum Series DK9000 Electronic Corrosion Module and we will apply paint protection and interior protection as well.
This will ensure your new car will stay looking new.
The rust protection we will warranty for 10 years, paint protection 5 years and interior protection for 3 years.
The cost of the protection in $1,299 which includes a $200 discount.

i am getting 2LT this month.
Thanks
Dont waste your money
Read my post above
GM will use any and every excuse to denied your claim
It's just a money grab
TomF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 11:48 PM   #14
bruce m

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
What...!! ?? These are NOT winter cars. Buy a RAV or similar instead.
Humphhhhh

Sorry
bruce m is offline   Reply With Quote