Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #1
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10
catback exhaust question?

okay, so honestly, i know nothing about exhaust. We've heard over and over again that the V6 exhaust note is impressive...

So what's the point of catback exhaust? what will it do for my car? what will it sound like? Should it be something i consider? What would be your estimate on pricing for this? Just tell me what you know...

I really want my V6 to sound great, and not like a pissed off bumblebee ricer car.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:22 PM   #2
Shadowsong

Drives: 2014 Mustang
Well, for one thing it will free up some more power.

But I've got cat-back on my v6 mustang right now, and it doesn't sound like a pissed off bumblebee, it all depends on what brand of muffler you go with.

Edit: Pricing depends on the brand aswell, JBA catback for the 4.0 mustang runs roughly mid 400's without actually installing it.
Shadowsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 04:32 PM   #3
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 View Post
okay, so honestly, i know nothing about exhaust. We've heard over and over again that the V6 exhaust note is impressive...

So what's the point of catback exhaust? what will it do for my car? what will it sound like? Should it be something i consider? What would be your estimate on pricing for this? Just tell me what you know...

I really want my V6 to sound great, and not like a pissed off bumblebee ricer car.
I'm hoping the V6 sounds impressive!

The stock exhaust that come on most cars straight from the factory, even if they are performance variants of that car, are usually the most restrictive part of the vehicle. they may only have a 2" pipe or something. So by getting a 3" pipe, not only are your freeing up the air-flow, it allows for more power. But usually in order to get the best results, not only would you change your exhaust, but also headers & a cold air intake. They help but not as much as most people think.

Yeah. Depending on the company the sound of your car can vary. You really can't substitute the sound that a V8 will have without having a V8. But depending on the company, the sound may have a nice throaty growl, or it maybe higher pitched. It could sound like a 4cyl car or an 8. until these kits start coming out and we see vid, or sound clips it'll be hard to predict which cat-backs will sould the best. Althoug I'm sure Corsa's will sound awesome, and SLP or something.

If you have the know how or know someone who does, you could make your own exhaust by going to a shop that does their own mandrel pipe bending and you could select your own mufflers, high-flow cats, resonators, tips, etc and save yourself some money.

But I'm sure for a decent quality cat-back, the price will probably range in the $400-$1,000 range. And if available I'd advise even freeing up more of the air-flow and getting yourself a high flow cat as well.

I'm more than likey be getting a V6 too so I'll be waiting to see what's out around the time I plan on purchasing my Camaro.
Old 09-21-2008, 04:47 PM   #4
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

i wish we knew what the brand of the one pictured was. I for sure do not want my car to sound high pitched.

so pretty much your suggestion would be, not to order it on my car right away, and wait til i hear something i like and ask about it?
Old 09-21-2008, 04:58 PM   #5
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 View Post
i wish we knew what the brand of the one pictured was. I for sure do not want my car to sound high pitched.

so pretty much your suggestion would be, not to order it on my car right away, and wait til i hear something i like and ask about it?
It's going to be a GMPP performance accessory that's for sure. Now whether or not it's using parts from a brand name I would have no idea.

Yes, wait until you hear the sound of it on the V6 Camaro first. Because you never know.

I'm also sure that in the next coming months to a year after the Camaro launches more and more will be available so if you can manage to wait a few months, I would say to even do that. You will have more to choose from.

Take my Cobalt SS for example. There are soo many different exhausts out there, and everyone of them has a different sound. Some sound like "riced" out Civics... (Yuck... not my thing) and I heard one that almost sounds like a V8... It just varies...
Old 09-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
Catback exhaust Question

Okay im totally clueless about exhausts so yeah. If i was to get the cat back exhuast. what exactly would change.(dumb in down for me, least jargon as possible) and also can you replace the end pipe part with this one(i really like the look but i want performance as well) on catback exhaust systems. or does that totally defeat the point?

ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:59 PM   #7
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6976

little late to the party..... lol..
Old 09-21-2008, 09:02 PM   #8
ucla1ove3

okay then question/ does it totally defeat the purpose of one of these things if you get it but then change the end tail pipe part to this.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:06 PM   #9
ucla1ove3

tahnks lol. my question was a little dif. so i figured i would post a new one. but now that ithink of it. its stupid lol
Old 09-21-2008, 09:08 PM   #10
fierodeletre

Drives: 02 WS6 TA, 88 Fiero Formula
Doesn't 'defeat the purpose' of freeing up hp due to restrictions caused by smaller pipe, stock cats, muffs, etc. 'might' 'defeat the purpose' of having a cool sound though. Having huge exhaust tips can cause the "ricer trumpet" effect. Not my cup of tea, but some people like it.
fierodeletre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 09:13 PM   #11
ucla1ove3

not my cup of tea either. i will just have to wait and see. hopefully it wont i just think they look super cool IMO.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:45 PM   #12
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
threads merged
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 10:57 PM   #13
aldaron327
Onward and Upward.

Drives: '13 Equinox LTZ AWD,'09 Silverado
Send a message via MSN to aldaron327 Send a message via Yahoo to aldaron327
Here's a question regarding the stock setup versus those gigantic boards with all the accessory goodies:

From a previous thread, I understood (probably mistakenly) that the 5th Gen would have a true dual exhaust and not a Y-pipe into a single inlet/dual outlet muffler. However, I noticed on the accessories thread that the exhaust that they show is the Y-pipe/single inlet/dual outlet exhaust. Can anyone who was at Indy verify that the exhaust is a true dual exhaust? Maybe I'm just missing something here. Thanks!

-Tim
MODS: CAI by CAI, Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-Back, DBA 5000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Front), Hawk HPS Pads, Russell Braided Brake Lines, DBA 4000 Slotted/Cross-drilled rotors (Rear), Barton Short-Throw Shifter, UM Comp Extractor Hood & Gen I Spoiler, custom paint
aldaron327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 11:13 PM   #14
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldaron327 View Post
Here's a question regarding the stock setup versus those gigantic boards with all the accessory goodies:

From a previous thread, I understood (probably mistakenly) that the 5th Gen would have a true dual exhaust and not a Y-pipe into a single inlet/dual outlet muffler. However, I noticed on the accessories thread that the exhaust that they show is the Y-pipe/single inlet/dual outlet exhaust. Can anyone who was at Indy verify that the exhaust is a true dual exhaust? Maybe I'm just missing something here. Thanks!

-Tim
Yeah that has me confused as well. The cat-back showed on the Camaro Accessories panel is definitely of a single inlet going to the y-pipe and then dual exhaust. My guess is that will definitely be for the V6 Camaro. Now the SS, I have no idea. I'll be pretty disappointed though if it doesn't have "true duals"...