Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-01-2014, 07:09 PM   #211
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
My power steering failed today (9000 miles) I also stalled the car then the warning light....i pulled into my garage and tried to find the filler cap with no luck (yes i pulled the engine cover).

after reading this thread i went out and started the car, power steering is working again...had "Brandon" come up with a reason?
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #212
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally mayfield View Post
My power steering failed today (9000 miles) I also stalled the car then the warning light....i pulled into my garage and tried to find the filler cap with no luck (yes i pulled the engine cover).

after reading this thread i went out and started the car, power steering is working again...had "Brandon" come up with a reason?
There is no filler cap for the PS, it's electric.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:23 AM   #213
white ZL1

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
There is no filler cap for the PS, it's electric.
And here I thought the title of the thread pretty well clarified that.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 07:39 AM   #214
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
Hey guys be nice to the guy, just because its an electric power steering pump doesn't mean it would be impossible to think it still has a reservoir for it..I mean duh it still needs power steering fluid.
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #215
Highland Ranger

Drives: 2014 CRT Convertible ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikes SS View Post
Hey guys be nice to the guy, just because its an electric power steering pump doesn't mean it would be impossible to think it still has a reservoir for it..I mean duh it still needs power steering fluid.
I thought it was all electric i.e. no hydraulics so no fluid so no reservoir?
Highland Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #216
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
PS was an option in the muscle cars of the 60s ...never ordered it !
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 08:21 AM   #217
Mikes SS

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS 6M
You got me, I thought it was an electric pump instead of a regular one part of the engine accessories! Lol
Mikes SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 09:19 AM   #218
wally mayfield

Drives: 2013 2SS 6M
Im a dummy for going to my owners manual for help, it told me there was a filler cap under the engine cover, even had a cartoon showing where...

Next time Ill come in here 1st....
Strut tower brace(GM), CAI, Blade Spoiler, ZL1 wheels and tires, Heritage grill, Dual mode exhaust, and thats it, no more..except for the lowering springs..Ok Hotchkis springs were delivered today, thats it..
wally mayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 10:54 AM   #219
RealG

Drives: 2024 2SS
Quote:
Im a dummy for going to my owners manual for help, it told me there was a filler cap under the engine cover, even had a cartoon showing where...

Great Reply !
RealG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 11:02 AM   #220
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:

You looked in the manual?????

what are you, nuts? nobody EVER looks in the manual.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #221
white ZL1

Drives: none
I guess my owners manual is the only one that specifically says "Power Steering Fluid (L99, LS3, and ZL1) - This vehicle has electric power steering and does not use power steering fluid." On page 10-30.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:05 AM   #222
RaceAir

Drives: 2013 SS 1LE w/RS
Another electric steering failure

2013 1LE electric motor gave up the ghost this morning in Florida ( 45 degrees ) at about 6,000 miles. It went out in a parking garage. I've had previous vehicles' pumps go out on me, but they don't come close to requireing the steering effort my 1LE does. (66 Mustang, '01 Tacoma, '83 S-10 blazer)

Trying to turn a sticky F2 supercar tire (285/35-20) at low speed darn near impossible. Oh, what really tops things off is that the clearance in the garage is 7'2" which means the tow vehicle (flatbed) cannot come and retrieve it!

I will have to worm my way out of that mofo (probably fighting hill-assist!)
RaceAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 06:46 PM   #223
Leroy

Drives: Chevrolet Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaceAir View Post
2013 1LE electric motor gave up the ghost this morning in Florida ( 45 degrees ) at about 6,000 miles. It went out in a parking garage. I've had previous vehicles' pumps go out on me, but they don't come close to requireing the steering effort my 1LE does. (66 Mustang, '01 Tacoma, '83 S-10 blazer)

Trying to turn a sticky F2 supercar tire (285/35-20) at low speed darn near impossible. Oh, what really tops things off is that the clearance in the garage is 7'2" which means the tow vehicle (flatbed) cannot come and retrieve it!

I will have to worm my way out of that mofo (probably fighting hill-assist!)
Similar situation with my 2013 1LE, I live in FL as well and I've a little over 7,000 miles on my car. Just yesterday I got the power steering problem. I got a message that tells me to service the power steering and park assist along with the ABS, brake, and all 3 traction lights lit up. My steering was noticeably heavier, but it was still easy to steer even at parking lot speeds.

I shut the car off and turned it back on about 10 minutes later and it starts up no problem, no messages or lights on the dash at all.

Update: Electric steering problem was due to a significant difference in tire size that was on the vehicle.

Last edited by Leroy; 01-28-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 06:26 PM   #224
rondahfnp

Drives: Camaro RS
steering difficulties

I would like to know if there are issues with the steering prior to failure. I have had my 2013 Camaro in the garage 5 times because the steering is difficult to control, automatically pulls one way or another without warning. The GM isn't any help, nothing changed, I called GM they say take it to the GM dealer. I have wasted almost all vacation time running this car to the garage. Help! I am very upset and ready to get legal assistance.
rondahfnp is offline   Reply With Quote