Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 10-30-2011, 08:41 AM   #15
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Drives: '03 ZR2 Blazer
I'd refit the Opti, but not by myself. Now if I was just changing out a bad Opti, sure. Refitting the engine for coil packs or an MSD system, probably best to just send it out to get stroked and poked and have them redo the ignition system while it's torn down.
Zabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 01:33 PM   #16
OVRKILL

Drives: 01SS
Might want to look into some local resources with a bunch of LT1 knowledge on mifbody.com....great bunch of guys willing to lead you in the right direction!
Old 11-14-2011, 01:54 PM   #17
1995z28

Drives: Red 95 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKILL View Post
Might want to look into some local resources with a bunch of LT1 knowledge on mifbody.com....great bunch of guys willing to lead you in the right direction!
thanks alot i actually just joined that forum it looks very helpful. also thank you everyone for your input its all very helpful.
1995z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 02:35 PM   #18
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995z28 View Post
Thanks everyone. this is a huge help the links actually are really useful. But is the opti really that big of an issue? Like I've heard a lot of poor things about it. What exactly is the problem and how does the other systems work better?

The opti... when it works... works wonderfully, when it doesnt work... it sucks

you can convert to the LS1 multi coil system (google Bailey LTCC). it can be a little pricey depending on where you find your coils (junk yards and forums are good places)
The LT1 can be a strong engine with the right combination of parts. no offense to the LT4 guys out there, but if you are going to do a heads and cam upgrade, your best bet would be to go with Advanced Induction or Lloyd Elliot Heads and cam package. Going deep into the engine is a good way to make some good power as well, but it takes a lot more time and money to stroke and poke the motor over a heads/cam upgrade. of course, all the bolt-ons should be done, CAI, long tube headers, EGR delete, TB heater bypass, etc. throw a can of seafoam in the gas tank as well as changing to a full synthetic oil and a quality filter to help maximize your power gains
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 05:13 PM   #19
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVRKILL View Post
mifbody.com....great bunch of guys willing to lead you in the right direction!
Old 11-22-2011, 03:10 AM   #20
bill2129
Account Suspended

Drives: 2085 Trans AM COBRA
Quote:
he said with 133xxx miles and its being that old that he wouldn't recommend any performance upgrades
Thats such a bunch of crap. My 98 ls1 was stock when I got it with 138k. It now has 152k with the mods listed below. I say as long as your engine runs right dont take to much oil or give you any problems its healthy enough for mods. I understand if you want a cam and he would say that. But that guy saying ANY upgrades at all is just stupid..
bill2129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:22 PM   #21
1995z28

Drives: Red 95 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill2129 View Post
Thats such a bunch of crap. My 98 ls1 was stock when I got it with 138k. It now has 152k with the mods listed below. I say as long as your engine runs right dont take to much oil or give you any problems its healthy enough for mods. I understand if you want a cam and he would say that. But that guy saying ANY upgrades at all is just stupid..
Exactly that's what I thought. My engine is strong so I'm excited to do some mods after the resurence from all of you guys
1995z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:01 AM   #22
Zabo
Gunning for Sixth

Quote:
Exactly that's what I thought. My engine is strong so I'm excited to do some mods after the resurence from all of you guys
As stated by CCPerformance (and reconfirmed with various owners in Detroit): Livernois, does shy away from LTX builds. Doesn't mean they don't do stellar work.. because they are badass at LSX builds! They just don't go out of their way for LTX builds. Just their business plan, can't knock them. Equipment limitations, supplier limitations.. various reasons could prevent them from touching LTX engines.

Tags
4th gen, engine, performace, transmission, upgrade