Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-15-2011, 03:50 PM   #1
RAYSRT8

Drives: 2011 Challenger SRT8 6.4L 392 Hemi
**3/25 update pg2 **Ted and his crew at Jannetty Racing saves another shops mistakes

First of all I want to personally say THANK YOU to TED and his Crew:
Nick, Tony, Teddy (Techs), Al & Kris in parts, Nick the IT guy and let's not forget Cheryl Jannetty the shop enforcer (JK) . They all made me feel very welcome and they all went out of their way with even booking my hotel stay, rides to and from the hotel and they let me hang around and watch for however long I wanted to. I tried to stay out of the way as much as possible so I would not slow things down. I also saw some pretty neat builds they were in the middle of there.
Just a little intro before I get into a little shop nightmare...I bought my vehicle in May 2009 and I pretty much immediately started the mod process. I started out small with Cat back exhaust & CAI, supercharger and I progressed from there. Up until this point I did most of the mods myself except for the Supercharger and Cam... This past December I bought several suspension components, LPE Dual Fuel System, JRE Upgraded Rear-end with 411 gears, BMR Strut Brace, BMR Strut Loop, Twin Disc clutch, AEM gauges and Dual Pod, etc. I installed the clutch and suspension components except for the cradle bushings and I stated that I would let someone else finish up with the mods due to being very busy at work and home.

Well that bring me to my shop nightmare. Since there are no performance shops directly in my area, I searched out a local dealer close by that actually mods Camaro's with TT, tunes, appearance packages, etc. and sells them off their lot. After speaking with them several times I felt comfortable with letting them install my LPE Dual Fuel Pump System, JRE Rear-end, BMR Cradle Bushings, BMR Strut Tower, BMR Safety Loop, AEM Boost and AFE Gauges with a Dual Pod and align the vehicle. When I dropped my vehicle off they stated it would be 3 -4 days to get the work completed and that is what the service manager and tech initially told me. The shop also told me that the were replacing the valve cover gasket due to some minor seepage. Well it actually took 2 weeks before I got my vehicle back. I never got frustrated or upset with the dealer by telling myself they are pretty busy and I want it right when I get it back. I remember telling myself also that the vehicle ran great prior to dropping it off and it should be a beast when I get it back. I got a call on a Wednesday evening late telling me my vehicle was ready to pick-up so I went and got it after work that evening. As soon as I stated down the road my CEL light comes on so I proceeded to pull over and check the code since I had my scanner with me. I checked the code with my STC scanner and it displayed P0300 code for a misfire. I was within 2 miles from home so I decided to go ahead and drive it home. I get it home and I discover that one of my MSD wires got bent at the plug connector somehow, but after I straightened it out, cleared the code but the light came right back on with the same code. I also noticed with in a couple miles that the gas gauge dropped over a 1/4 tank. I immediately thought there was a gas leak by the way the gas gauge started dropping. I said to myself that other things were going on beside the engine misfire, so I drove the vehicle back to the dealer the next the next morning first thing since I picked it up at closing time. Upon arrival to the dealer i explained to the tech and service manager was happening and they told me yeah, it was running rough while it was in the shop and you need to get a better tune on the vehicle. I called Ted Jannetty at that point and filled him in on everything and I actually have spoken with Ted on and off during my entire modding adventure. Since they were saying it was the Tune I asked Ted if he would mind calling the shop to discuss with tech and to also give them some pointers on the LPE Fuel set-up. Ted did not hesitate at all and he called and spoke with the tech that was working on my vehicle. I spoke with Ted after he and the tech spoke and Ted told me all the things the tech stated they were going to do to check out the fuel gauge problem. I felt better at that point, well until I got back to the shop and found out that they only checked for leaks and they kept telling me that I needed another tuner. The service manager also stated that they did not take the plug wires completely off to replace the valve covers. i could not prove it, but one was bent that was not bent prior to. I was pretty steamed at that point so I called Ted Jannetty back and he stated that I should go ahead and replace the plugs and wires at this point since no one knows how long it was running in their shop like this. It is now Saturday and no parts store or performance shop in my area carries MSD wires and the closest thing I could find is Taylor Plug wires, so I bought them and new plugs and installed them. After installing the plugs and wires the vehicle ran better, but the PO300 code kept coming back. I checked all connections and wiring and I did not find anything else that would cause that problem. The vehicle also started randomly dying at this point when coming to a stop and also while tunring and i was not sure what was causing that as well. Sunday afternoon I am stewing and telling my wife I can not believe I paid $1500 for the dealer to install a few parts and now I am having problems that I did not have before hand. My wife stated why don't you just have Jannetty Racing repair the vehicle? I said they are 1000 miles away and her reply was AND? I kicked it around for a few hours and I was able to reach Ted Jannetty and I told him that I was coming. Ted response was come on up.. I left the house around 7:30 Sunday evening and I drove 16 hours straight through to Waterbury, CT.

16 hours later I arrived at Jannetty Racing in CT- Within 3 minutes of arriving at the shop, Ted had one of his techs pull the vehicle in and start the diagnostic process. While the tech was starting the troubleshooting process Ted gave me a tour of his place. Ted asked me if I wanted to stick around for a few or if they needed to take me to a hotel. At this point I had already been up 30 hours without any sleep, but I wanted to stick around for a few. I asked them where the closest place to get food was and there was a restaurant right across the street, but somewhat hidden from the shops view. I walked over and ordered my food and I looked up and Al who is one of the parts personnel at Jannetty Racing was standing there and I was speaking with him for a second and stepped away to get a Pepsi out of the cooler and I stepped back up to the counter to pay and the cashier stated that it was already taken care of (THANKS AL and it was great by the way!!) After a while I was ready to get to the hotel room and crash. After about 4 hours sleep I spoke with Ted Jannetty and he filled me in on some things they found. The first things they did was address the CEL and they checked compression and a few other things since plugs and wires had been replaced. Turns out the new Taylor wires were no good, so they replaced them with MSD wires and teh light problem was fixed. Now to the better stuff...The dealer improperly wired my LPE system at the tank and Jannetty's tech corrected it, but the vehicle was still randomly dying. Come to find out they did not crimp the wires properly on the new Fuel Pump Control Module, so the tech re-crimped them and soldiered them as well. That took care of the vehicle dying... Hang on it gets even better... When the dealer took out my gas tank they broke the nut off that holds the tank shield on... Ted's guy fixed that. The new JRE rear-end the dealer installed by bolting to the car up and fill it with fluid.. Sounds easy right... Well they overfilled it and caused my new axle seals to start leaking... There were other things that we not correct as well, so I said to myself surely they could not have messed the alignment up, but sure enough it was off as well... So while I was there I had one of Ted's Tech correct that as well. I was also having a problem with my Fidanza Clutch chattering and screeching and while I was there Ted had his parts department call Fidanza Come to find out Fidanza had a problem with the disc on that particular clutch so Fidanza agreed to give me a full refund for the clutch assembly that I bought. Since I was there I had Ted go ahead and replace it with a ZR1 clutch and man was I glad I did it... It's an awesome clutch. The last thing was to put the vehicle on the Dyno and make a few tweaks to the tune since he had the vehicle in person. The vehicle laid down 610RWHP 547FT Lbs Torque (Torque I am guessing since I left my Dyno sheet at home). The drive home was a lot better than the drive there. Out of all this I have learned that if you do not or can not do the work yourself then its worth a drive taking it to someone you trust.

Thanks again or everything and I really enjoyed hanging out with everyone at Jannetty Racing!!.

P.S. - I met with the service manager at the dealer this past Saturday about giving me a full refund for the work they attempted to do. I told him that I may get an atty involved and also go for reasonable expenses if they did not refund me. Or I may just file a claim against my Visa debit card and have them to reverse the funds..

Camaro parts for sale: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152474

Last edited by RAYSRT8; 03-25-2011 at 05:52 PM. Reason: update
RAYSRT8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
ackeight

Drives: 10' 2SS/RS
Wow that dealer sucks. I will never take my car to a stealership for non warranty work. Glad to see you have your car back better than ever.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:50 PM   #3
masterwinning

Drives: 2013 Volt
Hopefully the dealership mans up and refunds your money plus cost of having it fixed. I would guess that Ted has already documented everything for you, but if not I would get all my ammo ready. Glad to hear Ted and his shop stepped up and fixed all the problems and made the car way better. It is always nice to know their are still business that respect their clients and want to do what is right.
masterwinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:52 PM   #4
RAYSRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackeight View Post
Wow that dealer sucks. I will never take my car to a stealership for non warranty work. Glad to see you have your car back better than ever.

Thanks.. It does run better than now. The one and only reason why I took it there is because the install TT and mod their own cars and I guess it's a lesson well learned.

Old 03-15-2011, 04:53 PM   #5
RAYSRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterwinning View Post
Hopefully the dealership mans up and refunds your money plus cost of having it fixed. I would guess that Ted has already documented everything for you, but if not I would get all my ammo ready. Glad to hear Ted and his shop stepped up and fixed all the problems and made the car way better. It is always nice to know their are still business that respect their clients and want to do what is right.
Ted did document everything for me and if the shop doea not agree to refund me what I paid them then I will make their name public and also have to think about leagal process or to file a claim with Visa so they will reverse the funds.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:08 PM   #6
ColdCamaroSS

Drives: 1
Great story and turn of events for your car. Wish I lived 1000 miles from JRE, would be much easier than lying on the floor of the garage when I decide to do the differential upgrade.lol
ColdCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
RAYSRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCamaroSS View Post
Great story and turn of events for your car. Wish I lived 1000 miles from JRE, would be much easier than lying on the floor of the garage when I decide to do the differential upgrade.lol
Wow... That would be a haul for you... I just noticed that you are in Alaska... 1000 Miles wouldn't even get you close. LOL

Old 03-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Hey Ray2SS what an adventure! Good luck getting your refund from the dealer, hope it all works out! Thank goodness for guys like Ted and his crew!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #9
RAYSRT8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
Hey Ray2SS what an adventure! Good luck getting your refund from the dealer, hope it all works out! Thank goodness for guys like Ted and his crew!
Thanks ssmike.. I hope they will do the right things so we can part ways peacefully because I will play hardball on this one.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #10
Mrxkorea

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Jannetty Racing is awesome. I am saving up for LT headers, CAI, and tune from them. I spoke with Ted on the phone and he offered me very sound advice.
Mrxkorea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:54 PM   #11
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Ray, I know that you story is true. Well everything but the part that Al bought you lunch. I didn't know his arms could reach into his pockets! I'll be looking for my lunch tomorrow. I'm glad it all worked out for you and it was nice to meet you. All thats left is another 16 hour drive for Teds track rental and see what that thing will do!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:56 PM   #12
RAYSRT8

Hey Jamie - It was nice to meet you and your awesome ride there as well. How is the pulley for that massive build coming along? Al actually did buy me lunch though... LOL

Old 03-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #13
Supercharged SS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray2SS View Post
Hey Jamie - It was nice to meet you and your awesome ride there as well. How is the pulley for that massive build coming along? Al actually did buy me lunch though... LOL

Ted got a new custom bracket in Today with a Ford tensioner so he thinks he found a solution. We will no tomorrow. Fingers crossed. My biggest fear is that it works so well it makes 20 psi. That may be a problem. But the spring is massive on the tensioner. I have to hand it to Ted. It looked bleak, but he always come up with a solution.

Al and I will be speaking, no doubt!!
Supercharged SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:59 PM   #14
Camaro54

Drives: Camaro SS2/RS orange/black stripes
Ray2SS, that was one hell of a drive straight through. I drove from Lou. KY up to see Ted and his crew but over 2 days each way. That's a great group up there. Sorry to hear about your "stealership experience". Glad you had a shop like TJR to take care of the mess.

PS. Al didn't buy me lunch. Wait till I talked to him next time. Too bad you didn't get to see Al's 1970 Monte Carlo. You'll have to ask him about it.
Camaro54 is offline   Reply With Quote