Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-29-2015, 02:38 PM   #1
cuffnstuff1

Drives: Hearse
Lansing GM Plant

I have a few question for curiosity regarding the plant. I was thinking of purchasing plane tickets for me and my boy to go tour the facility (If Possible). it would be great if we can go during my TPW and take photos of my car being produced. Hopefully one of the employees can answer a few questions

1) How Camaros are rolled out each shift?
2) Do they run production day and night and weekends?
3) How long does it take for a Camaro start to finish.
4) Do they offer tours?
5) wonder if I can Pay someone to take photos of my car in production?

I m just interested in the plant.
cuffnstuff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 02:51 PM   #2
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Only Bowling Green currently offers plant tours. I doubt you could pay someone to take photos as their job would likely be on the line for that. Currently they are building on 2 shifts that include Camaro, ATS and CTS. Not sure if they've gone to weekends yet, but likely to meet early demand Saturdays would not be a surprise right now.

Industry standard would be under 18 hours to produce a car, but not sure what the Camaro is running.

Good luck, but not likely you can get in the plant or get eyes in the plant.

And I have had the chance to watch two of my vehicles built. But I was an employee and had access to the plants. Very cool. One of them was my 87 Grand National.
Old 11-29-2015, 02:53 PM   #3
cuffnstuff1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
Only Bowling Green currently offers plant tours. I doubt you could pay someone to take photos as their job would likely be on the line for that. Currently they are building on 2 shifts that include Camaro, ATS and CTS. Not sure if they've gone to weekends yet, but likely to meet early demand Saturdays would not be a surprise right now.

Industry standard would be under 18 hours to produce a car, but not sure what the Camaro is running.

Good luck, but not likely you can get in the plant or get eyes in the plant.
Thanks I wish there was a better tracking system.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:04 PM   #4
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
This was brought up earlier over the summer when the first IVERs started production.... Bowling Green is configured with pedestrian areas that are safe and protected for people to walk through. East Lansing, and most automobile factories, are not. It's a huge liability to let non-employees walk through any factory. Not saying anything would happen, but just the fact there is heavy equipment in constant motion all over and someone not familiar with the factory may walk or inadvertently stand in the wrong place at the wrong time is too much of a risk for the company to take on.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:14 PM   #5
cuffnstuff1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastball View Post
This was brought up earlier over the summer when the first IVERs started production.... Bowling Green is configured with pedestrian areas that are safe and protected for people to walk through. East Lansing, and most automobile factories, are not. It's a huge liability to let non-employees walk through any factory. Not saying anything would happen, but just the fact there is heavy equipment in constant motion all over and someone not familiar with the factory may walk or inadvertently stand in the wrong place at the wrong time is too much of a risk for the company to take on.
Yes that makes sense
Old 11-29-2015, 03:40 PM   #6
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Interesting because every year here in Michigan we have a big 3-day show known as Camaro Superfest. Each year, they have one or more special events. One year it was a tour of the COPO build shop. This year one of the special events is indeed a tour of the Camaro plant.
Here is the info that was posted on the Detroit5thgen.com web site.

Camaro Superfest 2016

2016-06-30Time
Thursday, June 30, 2016 8:00 am - Sunday, July 3, 2016 3:00 am

United States

Created By
Pete Anderson

June 30th – July 3rd 2016 in Ypsilanti, MI (plus the surrounding event areas including Brooklyn, MI and Lansing, MI). Yes, you read that right! 4 DAYS OF CSF IN 2016! Why 4 days you ask? Well, there is a lot to cover…highlights include:

•This is the 25th Anniversary Event!
•Thursday, June 30th CSF returns to MIS (Michigan International Speedway) for laps on the track!
•Friday, July 1st CSF will be TOURING the Lansing assembly plant to see the new 6th Gen Camaros being built!
•Sat-Sun, July 2nd-3rd CSF is returning to Riverside Park in Ypsilanti, MI for the annual show-n-shine event.
•IMPORTANT: The Thursday & Friday activities are for registered participants only.

LOTS more information to come as planning & organizing continue so keep watching on FB/Twitter (@CamaroSuperfest) and/or the website (www.camarosuperfest.com ...expertly maintained by Sam) for all the latest information.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 04:24 PM   #7
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Quote:
Originally Posted by HDRDTD View Post
Interesting because every year here in Michigan we have a big 3-day show known as Camaro Superfest. Each year, they have one or more special events. One year it was a tour of the COPO build shop. This year one of the special events is indeed a tour of the Camaro plant.
Here is the info that was posted on the Detroit5thgen.com web site.

Camaro Superfest 2016

2016-06-30Time
Thursday, June 30, 2016 8:00 am - Sunday, July 3, 2016 3:00 am

United States

Created By
Pete Anderson

June 30th – July 3rd 2016 in Ypsilanti, MI (plus the surrounding event areas including Brooklyn, MI and Lansing, MI). Yes, you read that right! 4 DAYS OF CSF IN 2016! Why 4 days you ask? Well, there is a lot to cover…highlights include:

•This is the 25th Anniversary Event!
•Thursday, June 30th CSF returns to MIS (Michigan International Speedway) for laps on the track!
•Friday, July 1st CSF will be TOURING the Lansing assembly plant to see the new 6th Gen Camaros being built!
•Sat-Sun, July 2nd-3rd CSF is returning to Riverside Park in Ypsilanti, MI for the annual show-n-shine event.
•IMPORTANT: The Thursday & Friday activities are for registered participants only.

LOTS more information to come as planning & organizing continue so keep watching on FB/Twitter (@CamaroSuperfest) and/or the website (www.camarosuperfest.com ...expertly maintained by Sam) for all the latest information.
Very cool, but obviously a special occasion.

Bowling Green is set up for regular tours. It also has the Corvette Museum right next door so it is also somewhat of a tourist attraction. You can even spend MORE money and get your car delivered there at the Museum.

So very cool and it would seem OP might want to join your group and get in on this.