Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-20-2010, 05:40 PM   #1
storm83

Drives: Victory Red 2SS
L99 exhaust system

Hi everyone. I picked up my car today and wow that car is silent. Needs exhaust badly. I have done a lot of research about this, but I still have a couple of questions.

I understand that the L99 needs a different system to drown the AFM, is this true both for axle-back and cat-backs?

Corsa seems to be the most popular system for L99, is there another system which is equally good with the AFM?

I had a Mustang with the Shelby axle back before and I loved the tone of that. Not too much but not too little. What brands are good if I want it to sound like it could have been stock just not as it comes stock on these cars (imagine how the Z28 will sound).

Thanks,
storm83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
cplhester

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Manual
I have the flowmaster American thunder on mine. Sounds really good and the drone is there but its not that bad in my opinion
cplhester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 05:46 PM   #3
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
CHeck out SOLO Performance!!

Tons of Positive Feedback................I LOVE MINE!!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ERFORMANCE+L99
Old 03-20-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
cybercoaster

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anv, 1972 RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by storm83 View Post
Hi everyone. I picked up my car today and wow that car is silent. Needs exhaust badly. I have done a lot of research about this, but I still have a couple of questions.

I understand that the L99 needs a different system to drown the AFM, is this true both for axle-back and cat-backs?

Corsa seems to be the most popular system for L99, is there another system which is equally good with the AFM?

I had a Mustang with the Shelby axle back before and I loved the tone of that. Not too much but not too little. What brands are good if I want it to sound like it could have been stock just not as it comes stock on these cars (imagine how the Z28 will sound).

Thanks,
Good luck. I know I am going with Kooks headers and high flow cat but for cat-back I am so confused . I decide on Corsa then GMPP then Borla then Solo . I am hoping I can actually hear some different ones on a L99 at Camaro5Fest
cybercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Ok, AFM is muffled out mostly by the resonator which is right after the cats. If you are just doing an axle-back then the stock resonator would stay and you would have no problem with AFM induced drone. As for which manufacture, I think they all make quality products, but they all have their own unique sound. There are lots of videos with the different systems so you can pick which one sounds the best to you. As for cat-back systems, I think right now only Solo, Corsa and MBRP have complete cat-back systems that are specifically designed for L99 and to eliminate drone. There are some members with the Corsa system that say there is still some drone there. Corsa was the first one to come out with a set so maybe it isn't just perfected. I have the new MBRP set for the L99's. I still don't have it installed yet. I am just waiting for my tax return so I can get some shorty headers and install everything at once. This will be in the next few weeks. I will be taking lots of pictures and making a few videos. I encourage you to just wait for me and see what the MBRP system is like before you spend any money. I will certainly be posting here!
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:37 PM   #6
brAnd7onX

Drives: 2012 1SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyD View Post
Ok, AFM is muffled out mostly by the resonator which is right after the cats. If you are just doing an axle-back then the stock resonator would stay and you would have no problem with AFM induced drone. As for which manufacture, I think they all make quality products, but they all have their own unique sound. There are lots of videos with the different systems so you can pick which one sounds the best to you. As for cat-back systems, I think right now only Solo, Corsa and MBRP have complete cat-back systems that are specifically designed for L99 and to eliminate drone. There are some members with the Corsa system that say there is still some drone there. Corsa was the first one to come out with a set so maybe it isn't just perfected. I have the new MBRP set for the L99's. I still don't have it installed yet. I am just waiting for my tax return so I can get some shorty headers and install everything at once. This will be in the next few weeks. I will be taking lots of pictures and making a few videos. I encourage you to just wait for me and see what the MBRP system is like before you spend any money. I will certainly be posting here!
Actually the AFM gets droned out by the big muffler cans of the L99. The L99 muffler cans are different than the LS3 in that its not a straight through design and theres packing inside. So even an axle-back will have a little drone but yeah a cat-back with no resonators will be worse.
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
paul2010

Drives: 2012 ZL1 #1278
Here is a video of mine fairly stock with MBRP cat back:

Here it is with a supercharger+ and ARH LT with MBRP:

This will give you an idea what MBRP sounds like.
2012 ZL1 #1278

2010 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
2011 2nd Place Fastest 4 5th Gen LSX Shootout
paul2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:29 PM   #8
musclecargirl

Drives: 2010 2SS CGM w/IO Interior
I put a Corsa cat back for a manual trans on my automatic. The Corsa system for the manual trans has no resonator which is why I went with it. And, the drone is no worse than with the stock system and resonator.

Last edited by musclecargirl; 03-20-2010 at 10:51 PM.
musclecargirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
3BVert

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by musclecargirl View Post
I put a Corsa cat back for a manual trans on my automatic. The Corsa system for the manual trans has no resonator which is why I went with it.
I did the same but I've tuned out AFM:

Old 03-20-2010, 10:38 PM   #10
cybercoaster

Drives: 2017 2SS 50th Anv, 1972 RS
That sounds awesome! I planned on getting rid of the resonators and doing a tune (getting rid of AFM). This is an option for sure now. Thanks for the posting!
cybercoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:48 PM   #11
shroomjohn

Drives: Golden Eagle
Quote:
Xmicro_SS CHeck out SOLO Performance!!

Tons of Positive Feedback................I LOVE MINE!!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ERFORMANCE+L99
Ive got the Solo and its amazing you cant touch it when their catback isnt much more than some of the axelbacks
Old 03-20-2010, 11:18 PM   #12
kismyss

Drives: CGM 2SS Roto-Fab CAI, Mach XL CAT
Solo performance is off the hook I love the way it sounds now that its broke in. I have 5500 miles on the car. Sounds like a Freakin Monster when you get on it but its not annoying or obnoxiousw when your just cruising around, you can carry on a conversation listen to music etc. I must say that the Solo Performance X Pipe Cat Back is difinitely the way to go.
kismyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:38 AM   #13
Dangeruss
Bayoucitymusclecars.com

Drives: Camaro LSX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybercoaster View Post
Good luck. I know I am going with Kooks headers and high flow cat but for cat-back I am so confused . I decide on Corsa then GMPP then Borla then Solo . I am hoping I can actually hear some different ones on a L99 at Camaro5Fest
I'll be at C5Fest. I have Kooks headers and a Borla S Cat-Back. In the meantime here's a couple of videos.

With the Borla

With Kooks & Borla

Dangeruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #14
MaroSS
ZL1

Drives: 10' SS/RS - Sold; 15' White ZL1
Borla S-Type Catback with Shorty headers here!

-Hands Down~