Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #1
SolomonSS

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS M6
First Winter for SS - How to Care For Paint?

I have been washing Her just about every week since picking it up in June. Need advice from the professionals here on Camaro5 about what I should do before first snow hits. My car will be driven during the winter, however not often as I am able to work from work for my profession. Just last week I had it washed and polished with Blue Diamond, but I let a local detailer do it. I was told to use a Sealant before winter so I started looking at my options.

I never did anything other than wash and wax and I think it is time to get what I need for Polish/Polisher and Sealant. After reading a few threads and asking the detailer, I am going to try Adam's. Heard good things about Klasse sealant too. This is what I am planning to do to prepare my car for Winter in sequence order, pls offer your thoughts:

1. Normal Wash and Dry. California Gold
2. Adam's Detail Clay Bar and Detail Spray.
3. Adam's Polishing Kit. Comes with Flex machine polisher, Pain Correcting polish, and Paint Finishing Polish. I believe the polish that my detailer used lasts for 6 months, but I have a couple minor swirls I can knock out. Also, I the machine polisher could be used when applying the sealant.
4. Adam's Brilliant Glaze
5. Adam's Super Sealant. Winter protection from salt rocks! DC goes crazy with salt.
6. Wax. Americana Carnauba Paste.

Also, how long do you think it will take for all 6 steps? It usually takes me about 45min to an hour for just a wash/tire dress so it looks like this may be a weekend job.

Thanks,
Solomon
SolomonSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #2
CamaroDreams07

Drives: Slow V6
Do two coats of the sealant. Skip the glaze

Total time for a first timer, 2 days.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2
Old 11-21-2013, 05:28 PM   #3
jshaf
Montani Semper Liberi

Drives: 2011 Black 2SS/RS w/ IOM stripes
I just double up on collinite 476s, including rims. but I keep mine off the streets to keep it from salt and ashe.

Stainless Works 1 7/8 Long Tude Headers, Stainless Works High Flow Cats, Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback, Z/28 Air Intake, RDP Tuned, FR41 Chrome Rims, 1100W stereo, 35% Tint
jshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
I'd side with CamaroDreams on this one... double down on the sealant and don't worry about the glaze. Winter is about protection, the enhancement of the glaze isn't going to be of any benefit other than looks.

I would HIGHLY recommend picking up our Quick Sealant for your wheels, and even use it as a topper on the super sealant. I use it on the leading edges of my hood, mirrors, and lower rockers to keep those areas protected.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #5
snymat68

Drives: 2013 Blue Ray 1LS M6
I'm working on mine in the garage right now. It's turned into a week long project, but I had some etching from hard water spots I needed to polish out. Mine will be a daily driver through the winter. Here's the steps I'm doing and the order I'm doing them in. (FYI with Adam's, the sealant goes on before the glaze if you're gonna do glaze). I use Adam's products all around.

Touchless High Pressure Wash
Strip Wash By Hand
Clean Wheels
Clean Exhaust Tips
Detail Engine Bay
Clay Bar
Correcting Polish (orange)
Finish Polish (white)
Machine Super Sealant (gray, cure for 12-24hrs)
Quick Sealant (over existing MSS but also on door jams, trunk area paint, trim, wheels, under hood and engine bay paint)
Brilliant Glaze (offers no protection)
Brilliant Glaze (extra shininess)
Americana
Americana
Clay Bar Windows (being careful not to get anything on paint)
Glass Sealant
Detail Interior

I should be finishing mine up Saturday. I plan to take it out early Sunday morning and get some awesome pictures with the sunrise since this will be the best my car's ever looked!
Elite Catch Can | CAI Intake with Scoop & Washer Bottle Relocation | MRT v2 Axle-Back Exhaust | MagnaFlow Resonated X-Pipe | Resonator Delete | Vmax Ported Throttle Body | GM Strut Tower Brace | JDP Tow Hook | Vitesse Throttle Controller
Aesthetic Mods
Chrome Peek-A-Boo Door Handles | Interior Accessories Kit | OEM RS HIDs w/ 6000k Bulbs & 5000k LED Fogs | Tail Light, Marker Light, & Turn Signal Tint | Tru-Sequence Sequential Turn Signals & Brake Lights | Silver Fade Gill Stripes | Carbon Fiber Bowties | Various Chrome/Painted/Carbon Fiber Items
snymat68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:04 AM   #6
AmericanMuscleCars
Teenage Dream Camaro

Drives: A Visually Stunning Camaro
I do the glaze before the sealant so it stays sealed into the paint, but you don't need it if you polished it out, like I polished mine and it doesn't need a glaze, but I then sealed it and 2 coats of megs gold class paste wax, did one layer of wax one night and another the next night.
AmericanMuscleCars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 07:12 AM   #7
Spartan01

Drives: Evil Eva, 2010 2SS LS3
Do not forget to detail the interior as well.
This is especially true if you have leather.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:49 PM   #8
vandervortadam

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss black 21's
Park it in a heated garage?

Posted from Camaro5.com App for Android
vandervortadam is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adam's, polish, sealant, wax, winter prep