Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 02-27-2011, 08:45 PM   #57
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 SS
Smile

Well today I had a minute to work on the left side again. I cut out some of the clear bracket above the retainers. It fits a lot better now and kind of holds it in place. I do think that the only way to get more flush is to drill it from the cluster side and slide it through. I believe the head of the LED will not allow us to get any closer. If you drill from the cluster side then only the tube will be behind there.
Gene Culley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:16 AM   #58
buzzy56
buzzy56

Drives: 2ss summit white L99
Anymore pics ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Culley View Post
Well today I had a minute to work on the left side again. I cut out some of the clear bracket above the retainers. It fits a lot better now and kind of holds it in place. I do think that the only way to get more flush is to drill it from the cluster side and slide it through. I believe the head of the LED will not allow us to get any closer. If you drill from the cluster side then only the tube will be behind there.
Did you take pics of the area that you removed material from for better fit ? Hoping someone resolves the fit problem before I tackle mine in the next few weeks. I purchase a heat gun and will attempt to bend the left side to the contour of the dash on the drivers side also and might try to alter the clear bracket as well if you think it makes the fit better?
Old 02-28-2011, 11:38 AM   #59
verboten

Drives: Black
Has anyone tried to sand with a little 4"X4" power sander? It seems like it would save time and give a consitent line of path.

Also, who has the best price for lights (GM parts)?

Last edited by verboten; 02-28-2011 at 12:08 PM.
verboten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 01:10 PM   #60
cdn2usa

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Culley View Post

I am getting ready to start my right side also, removed the dash strip last night. Surprised to see that the clear part with the clips is separate and held on with double-sided tape, it's not like the left side.

I plan on going through the cluster and possibly use two leds, one on each end. Are you planning on using two also? Has anyone tried bending the light piping 90 degrees for the far right end? Will the light shine through? You will need to be sure where you want the white reflective strip before bending.
Hurst Shifter,CAI,Vmax throttle body, Kooks LT Headers, High Flow Cats,Borla Touring Axle Back, ADM Scoop, Washwater relocation,Diablo Predator(c/w Ted's Magic), Custom start defeat switch, painted engine cover, shark fin & bow ties, ABL lighting, Rear Camera.
cdn2usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #61
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzy56 View Post
Did you take pics of the area that you removed material from for better fit ? Hoping someone resolves the fit problem before I tackle mine in the next few weeks. I purchase a heat gun and will attempt to bend the left side to the contour of the dash on the drivers side also and might try to alter the clear bracket as well if you think it makes the fit better?
I altered the clear bracket that you're speaking of. I didn't take any photos, but I can have it out in a minute or two so I will post pics shortly. I don't think bending the tube is going to work. From doing work on mine on Sunday, it appears that the LED head and vinyl tube assembly are too large to fit back there. I think the only way to fix the left side is to drill a hole through on the cluster side.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:28 PM   #62
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten View Post
Also, who has the best price for lights (GM parts)?
We can certainly help you out with that. Just give us a call!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:29 PM   #63
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn2usa View Post
I am getting ready to start my right side also, removed the dash strip last night. Surprised to see that the clear part with the clips is separate and held on with double-sided tape, it's not like the left side.

I plan on going through the cluster and possibly use two leds, one on each end. Are you planning on using two also? Has anyone tried bending the light piping 90 degrees for the far right end? Will the light shine through? You will need to be sure where you want the white reflective strip before bending.
On the right side, I did use one LED on each end. There is no need to bend the light pipe on the right side.
Old 03-16-2011, 02:08 PM   #64
chris0834
CAPTIAN CAMARO

Drives: Camaro 2SS RS
Ok I want to do this but I'm trying to under stand what I need to do this. And what is the sanding for?
Old 03-16-2011, 04:49 PM   #65
ksgypsy

Drives: '11 Victory Red 1LT/RS, "RRocket"
Gene, thanks to you & Ofer for developing & posting instructions for this mod. This is one I really want to add (with the assistance of my Gene)! I'll keep checking this thread for that 'out the door' kit...
ksgypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 07:13 PM   #66
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0834 View Post
Ok I want to do this but I'm trying to under stand what I need to do this. And what is the sanding for?
The sanding is to allow the light to pass through the trim on the dash so that you can snap the dash pieces all the way back into the holes. If you are uncomfortable with doing that most people don't sand and it does not bother them how it looks.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #67
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris0834 View Post
I didn't sand anything on mine. I did the no sanding method. I did post the necessary item(s) required to install this in the beginning page of this thread.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #68
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgypsy View Post
Gene, thanks to you & Ofer for developing & posting instructions for this mod. This is one I really want to add (with the assistance of my Gene)! I'll keep checking this thread for that 'out the door' kit...
I still would like to offer an out the door kit. I'm still messing around with mine here and there!
Old 03-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #69
xxIRONWILLxx
7.5 mpg and loving it!

Drives: it like I stole it!
Ok, so I'm drilling and sanding this weekend. Cross your fingers. I still am not completely clear on how well the lighting will match with this method. And even more terrifing, I have no idea how the sanding will look from the front. But I'm going for it! Bought a bunch more red leds to do the entire perimeter of the door panel but as it turns out, they don't match the gm leds color. They are not orange at all. Spoke with Ofer and I believed the red leds would work. But they don't. And the orange or amber leds are just too yellow. Totally different shade. So be careful what leds you buy. I have 3 extra gm leds, so I will use them and do just the dash for now. But at $13 bucks a pop, I might have too improvise on the door panels.

Last edited by xxIRONWILLxx; 03-18-2011 at 07:54 PM.
xxIRONWILLxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:32 PM   #70
Gene Culley
Account Suspended

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxIRONWILLxx View Post
Ok, so I'm drilling and sanding this weekend. Cross your fingers. I still am not completely clear on how well the lighting will match with this method. And even more terrifing, I have no idea how the sanding will look from the front. But I'm going for it! Bought a bunch more red leds to do the entire perimeter of the door panel but as it turns out, they don't match the gm leds color. They are not orange at all. Spoke with Ofer and I believed the red leds would work. But they don't. And the orange or amber leds are just too yellow. Totally different shade. So be careful what leds you buy. I have 3 extra gm leds, so I will use them and do just the dash for now. But at $13 bucks a pop, I might have too improvise on the door panels.

Ok, let me know how the drilling and sanding goes. I was thinking about sanding one of my panels to try it out, but I'll wait to see what you do!