Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 04-12-2010, 08:09 PM   #43
WhiteCrane

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
Send a message via AIM to WhiteCrane Send a message via Skype™ to WhiteCrane
Based on your recommendation I will not use royal blue I trust you guys.

Guys, I'm a complete noob at this. I don't know anything about detailing at all. I don't even know what causes the swirl marks. I know that only a true polish can remove them.

Also... what does a detailing spray do?? I've never heard of that before. Microfiber v. Terrycloth? I dont know! Is Carnauba better than Sealant wax? No clue.

I have a shamwow I use to dry my car, it doesn't absorb anything. It just pushes the water around causing streak marks. Worst product ever made.

I kinda need to be school from the ground up. And there is tons of Snake Oil products out there. Griot's Garage stuff looks like a fun time.

Last edited by WhiteCrane; 04-12-2010 at 08:56 PM.
WhiteCrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:29 PM   #44
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCrane View Post

Guys, I'm a complete noob at this. I don't know anything about detailing at all. I don't even know what causes the swirl marks. I know that only a true polish can remove them.

Also... what does a detailing spray do?? I've never heard of that before. Microfiber v. Terrycloth? I dont know! Is Carnauba better than Sealant wax? No clue.

I have a shamwow I use to dry my car, it doesn't absorb anything. It just pushes the water around causing streak marks. Worst product ever made.

I kinda need to be school from the ground up. And there is tons of Snake Oil products out there. Griot's Garage stuff looks like a fun time.
Any professional grade product will give you a good result.. Some products just go about getting that result differently. I have used most over the counter and professional products. I use Adam's almost exclusively now, not because his product is superior to any other, but because I have had such a wonderful customer service experience.

You'll hear this product vs that product, and this is more expensive than that product. Adam's is 110% guarantee'd - if your not happy with anything he sells, send it back and he'll replace it or refund your money 110%. I'm pretty hardcore about Detailing / Maintaining my cars, and a few extra dollars to know that if something goes wrong Adam will backup his products; is nice to know. On top of that I have picked up the phone and talked to Adam himself about a issue I was having; not too many CEO's will take the time to talk to the end users. Adam does, he'll give you his cell phone number if need be; any company owner that takes that kind of interest in his customers, cares about his business.

I really recommend Adam's to any "n0ob" because his products aren't confusing and they do exactly what they say they do.. Unlike a few other brands I have used.. I recently spent over $200 on a competitors products, and literally threw away 50% of them because they were garbage, and they would not take returns.. I had to use my Adam's products to fix the damage caused by the other brand.

It's just my .02, I don't work for Adam I just believe he has put together a great product line backed by a great company of people. I'm not going to bad mouth other companies publicly, but if you want more information you can PM me..
Old 04-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #45
Tecca

Drives: ...
Quote:

Hey WhiteCrane we are all NOOBs at some point in time. First thing I would suggest reading throught the following forums

http://www.autopia.org
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...tailing-forums

First the easy stuff, if you want a good drying towel and great service check out this link.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70811

As for your Detail spray this is a brief overview:

In a way a detailer is used to give a car like it has just been waxed.

It can also been used as a claybar lubricant, as well as a drying lubricant.

You can also use to remove wax residue, bird poo, MINOR cleaning, and used alot at car shows again to give it that extra gloss.

Do some research before buying especially if you are in a area that is prone to a lot of dust and pollen as it will cause a static charge. There are sprays out there that will prevent this.

As always ask away, there are a lot of knowledgable people here
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 11:47 PM   #46
WhiteCrane

I'm probably going to buy that drying cloth, thanks. What cloths do you recommend to apply and remove wax?

OH and if I wax my headlights will that prevent them from turning cloudy in like 2 years?
Old 04-13-2010, 12:16 AM   #47
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

I apply waxes with Hex Grip Applicators; for polish removal, I use Adam's Double Soft microfiber towel. This thing is expensive, but its worth its weight in gold!
Old 04-13-2010, 12:55 AM   #48
Tecca

Drives: ...
I am not going to recommend any applicators until I know exactly which product you are going to use.

As far as microfibers, I prefer the following:
Pak-ShakRenney is awesome and the best micros out there.
Also look at these, they are dual layed so they remove and buff. CG Monsters

Adams microfibers are great, soft but way overpriced.
Tecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 10:22 AM   #49
WhiteCrane

Am buying the CG monsters to use for removal, and the aforementioned towel for drying. I'm gonna hold off on an applicator, I had been using Terrycloth.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:38 AM   #50
SDCamaro10

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT RJT
Wal-mart has a drying towel thats microfiber and it works great, just drape it over the area you want to dry, and lightly pull it(drag it, if you will) its very soft and you dont apply any pressure at all so no scratches.. super absorbent too. dried my car in about 5 minutes.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:55 PM   #51
WhiteCrane

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCamaro10 View Post
Wal-mart has a drying towel thats microfiber and it works great, just drape it over the area you want to dry, and lightly pull it(drag it, if you will) its very soft and you dont apply any pressure at all so no scratches.. super absorbent too. dried my car in about 5 minutes.
The absorber?

My buddy swears by it.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:07 PM   #52
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Quote:
The absorber?

My buddy swears by it.
I don't recommend absorbers because they have no nap. Meaning if you missed a little spot of dirt, the absorber is going to drag it all over the paint. Microfibers have a nap and actually pick up the dirt, reducing your chances of marring the paint.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:55 PM   #53
WhiteCrane

Thanks! Ok,ill stop for now before I wind up thread-jacking.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #54
renderinfo
R6P Member

Drives: Camaro 5th Gen
FYI to followers of this thread. I recently depleted my supply of ICE - Going to try Adams. Will write a follow up to my original #1 posting in this thread in a couple of months. Thanks for all the feedback!!!
renderinfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #55
formulahawk

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Hello everyone, to each his/her own. My experience with Zaino has been echoed before on this post.

If applied correctly, very easy to apply and use, no other product gives the depth of shine and durability!

Zaino =

Came home 09-07-22
VIN# 25963

1969 Firebird 400
1978 Camaro 305 V8
1994 Firebird Formula LT1
2002 Formula Firehawk LS1

Last edited by formulahawk; 05-13-2010 at 12:37 PM.
formulahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #56
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I'm perplexed as to how if something does the best job in your opinion, yet lasts the least amount of time, wouldn't you HAVE to redo it over every week vs. doing it once a month or every other month? So to say Zaino is too labor intensive isn't technically correct if you're applying it right, when compared to how many times you need to do it vs. the stuff that doesn't last. So then a cost factor compared to how much used comes into play. You spend $5 more than another product, but if it lasts you twice as long, it's actually cheaper per use. I spend more time washing the car than applying another coat of Zaino, so I'm trying to see the labor intensiveness here (other than the intial prep and first time use of Zaino. It is a PITA, I'll grant that). I don't like to spend time waxing and polishing a car, especially if it's my DD. So Zaino is easiest to use, and keeps it looking new and water beading for a whole lot longer than anything else I've used. But again, that's for ME. I don't give two craps what other people use if it flips up their skirt. I just like to see a fair evaluation and this isn't one, IMO.

I know this was just an opinion piece, but the supporting "facts" to base the opinions don't seem to be anything other than subjective.

I think if you used Adams or Menzerna polishes, for example, to correct your paint before applying ANY kind of sealant/wax, you'll be miles ahead. Your car is your investment, so your paint care should be too. You shouldn't mind investing the time to do it right the first time regardless of product used, or you'll be spending more time to do it again. JMO.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote