Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #43
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefianceDan View Post
I would say if you go to car shows with the thought of winning - your missing the point.
+1 a person I considered a friend takes car shows OVERLY serious. To the point he stopped inviting me to go car shows with him because he saw my car as competition....

Old 02-07-2014, 12:48 PM   #44
MrWray
SYBIL

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS, silver ice metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post
+1 a person I considered a friend takes car shows OVERLY serious. To the point he stopped inviting me to go car shows with him because he saw my car as competition....

I am competitive but im not that bad me and my uncle TRABlackCamaroSS frequent car shows together, my car isnt quite on par with his yet so If a show has a few different applicable classes I will enter a different class than him. If its a "Top 25" "Top 50" etc show, both of us have always placed.
Old 02-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #45
STL20102SS

Drives: SW 2010 2SS/RS
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics View Post
We are always looking for good cars to sponsor btw:

http://www.diodedynamics.com/store/i...sorshipsawards

Nick C.
I may be interested in this as well seeing as I'm in St. Louis.
2010 Summit White 2SS/RS M6: Injen longtube cold air intake, Borla S-Type cat-back exhaust, Tint, White painted rear diffuser, Red powder-coated Brembo calipers, New Era Performance ported throttle body, BMR 1" lowering springs, Hotchkis Chassis Max Strut Tower Brace, Red hash stripes, Vossen Matte Graphite/Machined CV5's
STL20102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:18 PM   #46
2ndtimess
2ndtimeSS

Drives: 2010 2SS 6 speed Infernal Orange
This will be my 4th year showing my Camaro and you have to pick and choose where you enter the car when fee's are involved, and yes there are several car shows that I will not pay to go back to because of the bias. I heard one comment made about newer cars in these car shows that was made. The car club rep stated that if he wanted to see anew Camaro he would go to a Chevy Dealer!! There are plenty of car shows that do have classes for our newer muscle cars and car shows are becoming more popular especially when it comes to raising money for charity. I attend one show here at Gillette stadium every other Thursday where they give out only one award and you cannot really complain about the choice but they manage to get over 2,000 cars to show up in good weather and you cannot beat the people you meet there and it is a great time. Just learn to pick and choose your events and you will have a good time!!!
Old 02-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #47
lbheat
Echale Gas [COTW 3/10/14]

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Supercharged
I would convince several hookers to stand by my car, they have to stand up all day somewhere anyways right? Surely this will string up some noise at the car show and you'll make new friends at the sametime.

Kenne Bell
502 rwhp/ 471 rwtq at 9psi (daily driver...for now)
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
lbheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #48
Rob3D

Drives: Car
1. Clean your car
2. Pay $20-$30 entry fee
3. Sit around all day
4. Wait until 5pm for the trophy/plaque presentation the flyer said would be done at 3.
5. Get a $2 trophy or a $1 plaque that says you placed in the top 95.
6. Bitch piss and moan with all your friends about how the judging was unfair.
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #49
lbheat
Echale Gas [COTW 3/10/14]

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob3D View Post
1. Clean your car
2. Pay $20-$30 entry fee
3. Sit around all day
4. Wait until 5pm for the trophy/plaque presentation the flyer said would be done at 3.
5. Get a $2 trophy or a $1 plaque that says you placed in the top 95.
6. Bitch piss and moan with all your friends about how the judging was unfair.
Lol yup. Thats what happen at the one and only one ive been to. I got bored after 2hrs. I'd rather go to one with close buddies that way we can shoot the sh*t during the day.

Kenne Bell
502 rwhp/ 471 rwtq at 9psi (daily driver...for now)
Performance: Corsa catback, JRE Super Tensioner, dual pass heat exchanger, R1 slotted & Dimpled rotors cryogenically treated
Cosmetic: Giovanna kilis 22", zl1 mailslot bumper, Custom Emblem Pro Badge, painted calipers
lbheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 02:59 PM   #50
STL20102SS

Drives: SW 2010 2SS/RS
^+1
2010 Summit White 2SS/RS M6: Injen longtube cold air intake, Borla S-Type cat-back exhaust, Tint, White painted rear diffuser, Red powder-coated Brembo calipers, New Era Performance ported throttle body, BMR 1" lowering springs, Hotchkis Chassis Max Strut Tower Brace, Red hash stripes, Vossen Matte Graphite/Machined CV5's
STL20102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 11:19 PM   #51
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swacer View Post

Oh yea some are like that! There's one guy that has a 5gen LT Camaro, completely stock and gets so upset when I win a trophy and he doesnt. Its like really dude? If you want to win that bad then start modding. To be honest I go to hang out with friends, make new ones and see the cars, winning is an extra bonus. As long as its fair judging I dont mind walking away with nothing. Win some and lose some.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:29 AM   #52
BluePhoenix

Drives: 2020 GMC Sierra AT4
It's all about the appearance and finding the right combination mods, or just knowing a lot of people to vote & have them all vote for you. I seen it happen both of those ways before, where a car was nothing special and pretty much stock yet it took 1st place over a car that definitely should have been 1st place.

1100 - 3/23/2023
2000 - 3/27/2023
3000 - 3/28/2023
3400 - 4/12/2023 — 4/24 TPW
3800 - 4/28/2023
5000 - 5/30/2023
6000 - 6/03/2023

2020 GMC Sierra AT4 6.2L Black
BluePhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:35 AM   #53
knitetrain05
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS 45th Anniversary Edi
I go to a lot of locals. I just like to walk around, get something to eat and relax by my car
knitetrain05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:50 AM   #54
HuJass

Drives: GM
Depends on the class.
Judging in a concours class is straight forward. The cleanest, most original car wins.
The more original the car is the better. And I'm talking right down to the hose clamps, oil filter, individual part tags, & grease pen marks. All of these little things have to be there the way the factory put them in. If you have the factory shipping protection, tags, and stickers in place, even better.
Cleanliness is important, too. You have to be able to eat off anywhere on the car. Not a blemish on the car, not a speck of dirt on the car, not ANY foreign material on the car. And I mean outside, inside, top, & bottom. NOWHERE. At a car show I frequent, I've know people to lose 1st place because one of those milk thistle thingies that blows around in early June landed on their carpet between the last time they cleaned the car and when the judges came by.
Of course it goes without saying that the car can't have any damage or degradation. It has to be as perfect as it was when it left the assembly line.
Your car will be graded on a point system, typically between 0-100 points. The closest car to 100 gets 1st place. You'll be judged on things such as exterior, interior, under hood, correctness, cleanliness, etc. It's an objective way to determine the winner.

I have no idea for the modified classes. I don't bother with those. Way too subjective.
2004 Colorado ZQ8
2002 Trans Am WS6 Collector Edition
1999 Blazer
1994 Grand Prix SE B4U
HuJass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #55
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuJass View Post
Depends on the class.
Judging in a concours class is straight forward. The cleanest, most original car wins.
The more original the car is the better. And I'm talking right down to the hose clamps, oil filter, individual part tags, & grease pen marks. All of these little things have to be there the way the factory put them in. If you have the factory shipping protection, tags, and stickers in place, even better.
The problem is that even on the points system, depending on the judge, is that the judge needs to KNOW what is correct and what isn't. That's not always the case. Unfortunately, it's usually up to the attendee to provide "proof", which sucks if you bought a car without a bunch of documentation and you're not that familiar with what's what. That's why I only limit myself on judging a class that I am the most confident in.

The hardest part is determining those "one off" mistakes that the factory made were actually done by the factory or by the owner or previous owner(s). For example, I bought a new car in the 80s. It was delivered to me WITH NO CARB RETURN SPRING, a nut missing on the cruise control bracket stud, and the hood bumper adjustment locks were unlocked. It was several years before I figured out what was missing/wrong by looking at other cars like it at car shows. Of course, with no documentation, how could I convince a judge that it was how it came?

Blow-in dust and contamination due to the day's environment is taken into account when I judge. Acts of God is how I consider them. There's a difference between anal and just being an ass-hole at that point. You can tell if it's due to non-cleaning or the dust up coming from the construction job coming from down the street, for example. But finding an old, dried up French fry in the back floorboard will definitely cost some cleanliness points.

Also unfortunate is those cars that are over-restored. The owners rebuilt them better than the factory would have done, with no mis-aligned door gaps, or a perfect bead instead of what looks like a 10 year-old applied the caulking in the wheel well. No, these things are too perfect. While not a fault, per se, it's kind of unnecessary for me to give full points.

I actually HATE judging because you don't get to enjoy the show the way everyone else is.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 02:11 PM   #56
Rob3D

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by knitetrain05 View Post
I go to a lot of locals. I just like to walk around, get something to eat and relax by my car
THAT'S how you attend a car show...
Rob3D is offline   Reply With Quote