Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-12-2020, 07:10 PM   #15
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodCheck View Post
Bumper removal without flare removal would be a damn good sticky for the page! Honestly I think that would deserve its own thread.
I started a thread for it. I’m wordy and if anyone finds issues or better ways to do something, please add. It was all done on my phone so be kind but be honest.

Last edited by SIM GhostrdrZ; 09-12-2020 at 07:26 PM.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:24 PM   #16
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
Hey bud
You switched them all ?
Any way you can get behind that part of the inside bumper & push the flare & bumper flush ??
I sure did. Seems the plastic bumper cover areas aren’t as good as I thought it would stick. I thought the screws in those areas would pull it tight and with double side tape it’d be good. This is the factory installed tape on the outer edge. I’ll figure something out. I even used paint prep and adhesive promoter on fender/body and flare side. I even used heat gun to warm adhesive right before I installed. I really wish I could be on the assembly line where these techs installed the flares to watch what technics they used. I might have to remove and install new tape then use a lot of clamps and just leave on for days. There is a super glue technic if I should figure out a good way for that.

But overall, these went on great and look terrific.
Couldn’t be happier.
Thanks again buddy
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2020, 07:26 PM   #17
Scotty D

Drives: 2014 1le 1SS CRMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
I sure did. Seems the plastic bumper cover areas aren’t as good as I thought it would stick. I thought the screws in those areas would pull it tight and with double side tape it’d be good. This is the factory installed tape on the outer edge. I’ll figure something out. I even used paint prep and adhesive promoter on fender/body and flare side. I even used heat gun to warm adhesive right before I installed. I really wish I could be on the assembly line where these techs installed the flares to watch what technics they used. I might have to remove and install new tape then use a lot of clamps and just leave on for days. There is a super glue technic if I should figure out a good way for that.

But overall, these went on great and look terrific.
Couldn’t be happier.
Thanks again buddy
Looks good bud !!
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 07:41 PM   #18
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty D View Post
Looks good bud !!
Thanks
Old 09-12-2020, 07:54 PM   #19
Palutz
Banned

Drives: 22 ZLE M6
Quote:
Not anymore brotha. That wouldve been under bumper to bumper in the first 3 yrs/36k miles.
Damn ... thanks for letting me know
Palutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:54 PM   #20
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Quote:
I started a thread for it. I’m wordy and if anyone finds issues or better ways to do something, please add. It was all done on my phone so be kind but be honest.
I bookmarked it!
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:04 AM   #21
72 Z27

Drives: '70 Z28/RS & '14 Z28
Quote:
Just replaced all of mine. 3 were original and the adhesive was tough to remove but doable. The last one was something like beta link 2 and it was almost impossible to remove. I cleaned all the area will paint prep cleaner and used double side 3M auto molding stuff. That stuff worked really well but the double sided tape that is around the outer edge just is a hit and miss, mostly horrible.
What double sided 3M tape did you use?
Old 09-13-2020, 10:55 AM   #22
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 Z27 View Post
I don’t have any number because it was some aviation stuff I had kicking around. The jury is still out on how well this will hold. But I used adhesive promoter on both sides and it initially stuck really well. I would imagine the 8362 or a heavy duty auto equivalent would be worth a stick test. If not I’ll go with 2 part adhesive. Sorry I don’t have an exact answer as I’m in the R&D mode myself. From the sounds of people’s complaints, GM didn’t have the answer to these flares. Hopefully over time one of us owners will figure it out.
Old 09-14-2020, 06:16 AM   #23
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72 Z27 View Post
I should ask, what are you trying to do? Just close an outer perimeter flare gap or replace the entire flare. There seems to be an outer perimeter double sided tape that GM has on already. I just bought a new Primered set from GM and it has the same tape on the outer perimeter that has the red peel off.

Then there seems to be another double sided tape that holds the outer painted piece from the inner structural piece. This is only seen if you separate the two when removing for bumper cover removal. You never see this as it is put together from the factory.

Then there is the stuff that sticks the structural part of the flare to the body/fender. GM seemed to use adhesive glue for this. It would be nice if anyone with inside connections could point to what GM used.

Too complicated for simple fender flares. So there are actually 3 attachment points to these flares so my suggestion as others have suggested. Just have a good body shop do it for you. I’m just the type that likes figuring things out and found that most mechanic/dealer/tire shops/body shops don’t treat your car any different than the average soccer parent beater van.
I digress
Old 09-16-2020, 10:18 AM   #24
Biergut

Drives: '15 Z/28
Quote:
Not anymore brotha. That wouldve been under bumper to bumper in the first 3 yrs/36k miles.
Unless you re-newed your bumper to bumper as I did. It's covered.
Biergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:41 AM   #25
pat_t

Drives: .
These parts are some of the worst parts on the car. I have had these on and off a number of times, to wrap car etc.

Getting them to stick back down flush and STAY STUCK DOWN including on trackdays is the bane of my life lol.

I've been through various 3M products, and a Gorrila Tape product which seemed to work well to the wrapped surfaces. Mine still start to slightly gap after a while though. I've still not found that perfect product yet.... :(
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:24 AM   #26
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palutz View Post
This is a link to a product I’ve read really good things about ...

https://modbargains.com/bmw-betalink...splitters-etc/

My flare is coming undone just a bit as well and from what I’ve read it has to do with the front splitter hitting or scrapping on things

I solved the problem by removing the spliter. In those areas where it snows the spliter is also known as a snow plow. With regard to the tape, I know not.
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 04:38 AM   #27
BuddyLee

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palutz View Post
Mine is under warranty also ... is this something a Chevy dealership should fix under warranty?

You speak of a warranty. Is the flair an option or something that was not a part of the 5th gen cars? I don't have them.
BuddyLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 07:12 AM   #28
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyLee View Post
You speak of a warranty. Is the flair an option or something that was not a part of the 5th gen cars? I don't have them.
The wheel flares are a part of the body kit on the Z/28. They aren't a factory option on any other model afaik.
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote