Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-09-2009, 07:11 PM   #225
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boost_TT View Post
Actually 600-700lb heavier, to be more accurate.
No, nissian cut weight, but they also added wieght thanks to gov. saftey regs and the car being slightly wider. The net result is that the 370Z weighs about 3350lbs. Read car and driver review. The 370Z is about 500lbs lighter than the manuel Camaro SS.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 07:22 PM   #226
Rekt

Drives: Z34 370Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker57676 View Post
I thought the weight dist. of the Z was supposed to be 53/47?? But either way, Nissan is saying the weight dist. and suspension geometry/setup are such that the balance coming out of a corner (when the weight is on the rear wheels) will be ideal. After the apex when you should be getting back on the gas, the shift in weight returns the weight dist. to ideal 50/50. Nissan designed the car to be slightly heavy over the front axle for this reason (apparently).

Mark
Nobody will understand that on this forum.

Can you convert that to ET and 1/4 mile language plzzz?
Rekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #227
Cleric

Drives: not a 5th gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekt View Post
Nobody will understand that on this forum.

Can you convert that to ET and 1/4 mile language plzzz?

HAHAHA

I do not think anyone can make a good analysis of the car's handling because NO ONE HAS TEST ONE (AFAIK). I think we can make assumptions about 1/4 mile because of comparison and numbers that have been alluded to.

With that being said I think the 370 is a solid offering. Its interior looks nice. I like the exterior look of the car. The new engine is well designed.

I would most likely consider buying one. However I doubt if will be buying a new car anytime soon because I think I could only get about $5 for my truck right now.
Cleric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #228
HelloEveryBady

Drives: Tricycle
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=129496

I think this is the camaro SS numbers, edmunds did a test on i guess a preproduction car?

.90g skid, 60-0mph braking @ 117 ft, 1/4 mile in 13.4, 0-60 in 4.9.......
HelloEveryBady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:43 PM   #229
Grinder

Drives: '90 Jeep Cherokee
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroEnergy4Life View Post
thanks for the answers everyone! i cant wait til my friend in his Z will be staring at the sexy ass of my CAMARO!!!!!!!!!
Hopefully he remembers to wave as he passes by to put you down another lap... ;P
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 11:30 PM   #230
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloEveryBady View Post
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=129496

I think this is the camaro SS numbers, edmunds did a test on i guess a preproduction car?

.90g skid, 60-0mph braking @ 117 ft, 1/4 mile in 13.4, 0-60 in 4.9.......
you see the date from that thing? why dont we wait and see what happens when motortrend gets their hands on the car.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 01:59 AM   #231
HelloEveryBady

Drives: Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
you see the date from that thing? why dont we wait and see what happens when motortrend gets their hands on the car.
You got a point but motortrend did get their hands on a V6 model which replicated the exact numbers that GM stated in that link above. I am going to say the SS numbers won't differ to much from what GM stated.

I hope it's better but we will see.

BTW don't sound too offended i was just posting what i found after reading through this thread. I like the Camaro
HelloEveryBady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 10:20 AM   #232
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloEveryBady View Post
You got a point but motortrend did get their hands on a V6 model which replicated the exact numbers that GM stated in that link above. I am going to say the SS numbers won't differ to much from what GM stated.

I hope it's better but we will see.

BTW don't sound too offended i was just posting what i found after reading through this thread. I like the Camaro

I'm not flaming you, i'm just saying that if that was accurate more people would be refferencing it.

Without too much thought i can just point to 4.9 0-60 and wave a red flag... the Chief designer talked to a member on this forum personally about how his personal best in the Camaro was 4.6
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
Old 01-10-2009, 11:15 AM   #233
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
On a race track, My money is on the Camaro SS. The handleing will be on par to the Z, maybe better in some areas. But the Camaro has waaaaaaay more horsepower and torque.

Don't get me wrong, I love the new Camaro (and will be buying one), but it will NOT handle as well as a 370z. That's just the way it is. The new 370z is one of the best handling cars out there.

Motortrend - Lateral accel 370z (.99 G's)
Road and Track - Lateral accel 370z (.97 G's)

To compare, Road and Track only managed .93 G's when the tested the C6 Vette (01/08 issue). And .99 G's in the Z06 Vette (05/08 issue)

The 370z (Touring) runs 275/35/19 series tires out back and the car only weighs 3350 lbs. That along with its excellent balance makes for a great handling car.

The SS will have an advantage in a straight line, but the 370z will definately have an advantage on a tight road course or in the twisties. But the SS will dominate the 370z when it comes to straight line top end speed.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #234
GatorBlue371

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGOS252382 View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love the new Camaro (and will be buying one), but it will NOT handle as well as a 370z. That's just the way it is. The new 370z is one of the best handling cars out there.

Motortrend - Lateral accel 370z (.99 G's)
Road and Track - Lateral accel 370z (.97 G's)

To compare, Road and Track only managed .93 G's when the tested the C6 Vette (01/08 issue). And .99 G's in the Z06 Vette (05/08 issue)

The 370z (Touring) runs 275/35/19 series tires out back and the car only weighs 3350 lbs. That along with its excellent balance makes for a great handling car.

The SS will have an advantage in a straight line, but the 370z will definately have an advantage on a tight road course or in the twisties. But the SS will dominate the 370z when it comes to straight line top end speed.

i agree with 97% of this post.

''That along with its excellent balance makes for a great handling car."

The Camaro has better balance/weight distrobution... the Weight distrobution for the Z really isnt even all that good. The SS WILL beat the Z on tracks that allow you to dig into 4th and 5th gear more than once while the Z will win on tighter smaller tracks.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:27 AM   #235
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
I'm not flaming you, i'm just saying that if that was accurate more people would be refferencing it.

Without too much thought i can just point to 4.9 0-60 and wave a red flag... the Chief designer talked to a member on this forum personally about how his personal best in the Camaro was 4.6
edmunds blows for everything...they got 0-60 in 5.5 for the srt8 6 speed while other mags got sub 5 sec all the time...edmunds is the worst tester by far...
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #236
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
A lot of people will be surprised at how similar these two cars will in a straight line and in handling. But I would imagine that the Camaro will win on all but the twistiest of tracks, given drivers of equal ability.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 11:43 AM   #237
pharmd
Master of Medicine

Drives: 4th Gen
Quote:

The Camaro has better balance/weight distrobution... the Weight distrobution for the Z really isnt even all that good. The SS WILL beat the Z on tracks that allow you to dig into 4th and 5th gear more than once while the Z will win on tighter smaller tracks.
I know we aren't trying to get into "aftermarket" discussions, because anyone can strap on X and make car X do Y. BUT, after talking to pedders regarding the camaro, they gave me G8 skidpad numbers to compare (because after all the chassis of the G8 is very similar to the camaro)...but a pedderized G8, with the new coilovers and a larger cross section tire, went from 0.85 to 0.94 on the skidpad, then with the addition of bushings and swaybars/braces, it went to 1g. So for reference, if the camaro pulls 0.9 stock, it is conceivable that with tires and let say, the coilvers, you could be at or better than 1g....so aside from the weight issues which WILL affect track day performance (as the day wears on and the tires get a little sloppy), you should have no problem handling a car such as a Z in the corners. I'm sure the Z car will have performance suspension stuff, although, I'd find it hard to believe, the parts would outclass what pedders offers.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #238
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:

But you do agree that the 370z will definately be a better handling car? You really can't argue with .99 G's and 275 series tires on a 3350 lbs car. And yes, I agree with you about the SS having more speed down any long straight sections, which would give it an advantage on a long road course.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote