Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-07-2009, 09:36 PM   #631
Rekt

Drives: Z34 370Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
UM am I missing something here?? Ford releases a 5.0 V8 to BECOME competitive with the camaro SS and that is a nail in the coffin for GM??
Oh thats right a 400hp mustang competes with a 426 hp Camaro, yeah I bet those chevy boys are trembling in their boots (sarcasim implied)
The Mustang also doesn't have a 3900 lbs in fat to carry around either
Rekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #632
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekt View Post

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #633
drivingincamaro

Drives: 95 civic
Quote:
excuse me if im wrong but wont the 5.0 and IRS add weight so idk
Old 03-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #634
Muscle Master
SS Lightning

Drives: An SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingincamaro View Post
Supposedly it won't and it's also an aluminum block, so we might see equal or less weight

IDK about them adding IRS though

Quote:
The first rule of modding something that's not American is to not try to compete with modded V8 cars that are American. Really, they can run insane power with little investment. It's not even a fair fight.
Camaro 2SS RS, IBM, White Rally Stripes, custom fuel door: Status: going to the dealer: soon
Muscle Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:49 PM   #635
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
Supposedly it won't and it's also an aluminum block, so we might see equal or less weight

IDK about them adding IRS though

Without IRS its the same crap.

With IRS it weighs as much as the Camaro and its advantage is gone.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:54 PM   #636
Rekt

Drives: Z34 370Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
Without IRS its the same crap.

With IRS it weighs as much as the Camaro and its advantage is gone.
Not even close. An IRS will not weigh 400 lbs.
Rekt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:56 PM   #637
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
Not even close. An IRS will not weigh 400 lbs.
Which is good, because it doesn't have a 400lb advantage.
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 12:02 AM   #638
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by truth411 View Post
UM am I missing something here?? Ford releases a 5.0 V8 to BECOME competitive with the camaro SS and that is a nail in the coffin for GM??
Oh thats right a 400hp mustang competes with a 426 hp Camaro, yeah I bet those chevy boys are trembling in their boots (sarcasim implied)

Depends on how you define "competitive." Sales is the area that GM needs to be the most competitive in right now, and that's something that Ford has never relinquished control of. People have never been shy about purchasing a Mustang with less power for less money, and it looks like history may very well repeat itself unless GM can make the base Camaro as cheap as possible. GM does have to become "competitive" because it is trying to take a good chunk of market share from Ford in an area that it has dominated for decades in sales.

But I digress. A 400-hp Mustang would certainly be able to compete with the Camaro SS. We're talking about a difference of less than 30-hp with similarly-sized vehicles. Only the most experienced of drivers would even notice the difference in power between the two. A driver's race for sure.

People look at the sticker price. That's what matters in this market. Unlike us, the average person is not out to get the most bang for the buck, but to spend as little as possible and still have a fun car to drive.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 06:00 AM   #639
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
just check out the gt500 subtract 100hp and you have your new 5.0 gt......yea slow
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:01 AM   #640
clydsdale

Drives: Comet, 61 original. Mustang 65
nester7929, BRAVO!!!!!
clydsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 07:27 AM   #641
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by clydsdale View Post
nester7929, BRAVO!!!!!
yeah bravo ...i havent heard so much bullsh$%t since my pet bulldog ate my 2 week old meatloaf
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 10:04 AM   #642
truth411

Drives: police interceptor
Quote:
Originally Posted by nester7929 View Post
Depends on how you define "competitive." Sales is the area that GM needs to be the most competitive in right now, and that's something that Ford has never relinquished control of. People have never been shy about purchasing a Mustang with less power for less money, and it looks like history may very well repeat itself unless GM can make the base Camaro as cheap as possible. GM does have to become "competitive" because it is trying to take a good chunk of market share from Ford in an area that it has dominated for decades in sales.

But I digress. A 400-hp Mustang would certainly be able to compete with the Camaro SS. We're talking about a difference of less than 30-hp with similarly-sized vehicles. Only the most experienced of drivers would even notice the difference in power between the two. A driver's race for sure.

People look at the sticker price. That's what matters in this market. Unlike us, the average person is not out to get the most bang for the buck, but to spend as little as possible and still have a fun car to drive.

Um maybe you have not noticed the price of the 2010 mustang compared to the camaro. The Base V6 mustang is ONLY $655 cheaper than the Base camaro when includeing destonation charges. For $655 you get 94 more Hp, Better fuel economy, Better everyday ride (IRS) believe it or not american roads are not butter smooth, And far better handling car. The V6 Camaro is superior than the after thought Mustang in every feasible way. It is basicaly a cheaper G-37 coupe. It is the base car that keeps production going, not the V8s. The camaro always had the better performing V8 cars, at one point in time I think chevy were selling the same amount of V8s as V6s in the 4-th gen camaros. The mustang has been around because of the base car sellin like 10 to 1 compared to the GT. Now that GM learned their lesson and made the Base car a truly execptionaly car within $655 of the joke V6 Mustang we shall see what happens. When those new powertrain comes out for the mustang expect a price and weight increase. Right now the mustang is about 300lbs lighter, than the camaro expect that to narrow abit. Wow it seem that some mustang loyalist are living on another planet and are inventing an artifical reality.
truth411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:26 AM   #643
Bocephus

Drives: 2011 Mustang GT, Kona, BBP, 3.73
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivingincamaro View Post
No IRS for the Mustang for the foreseeable future. The 2014 Mustang might keep the solid axle.
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:32 AM   #644
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
I listened to motortrend radio last week and they had one of the Ford engine guys on there talking about the new Ecoboost 3.5 being built in Cleveland. He said the Ecoboost would be the engine that Ford goes to in almost all of its vehicles and didn't mention anything about the 5.0 engine. He mentioned that the mustangs would probably get the 3.5 Ecoboost also. I am a chevy guy all the way but the 3.5 Ecoboost TT engine looks to be a very good engine, it sounded very impressive.
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote