Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 09-09-2016, 08:05 PM   #1
Jeff65SS

Drives: 1965 Chevelle Malibu SS
Buying some Michelin Pilot Super Sports

Looking to buy a set of MPSS to replace the Goodyears. Where are people getting these? Anybody know anyone running a good deal on these right now? I think the total from TireRack is like $1800.
Jeff65SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 09:42 AM   #2
sspddmn

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE and 1991 Z28
I was wondering the same. The cheapest right now that I've found is for around the same price with a $70 prepaid gift card as a rebate. $70 bucks on almost $2k worth of tires But I guess you gotta pay to play right?
Old 09-16-2016, 09:54 AM   #3
nilfinite

Drives: Camaro 1LE
I like Comp 2 A/S... One of my cars came with MPSS from the factory and they wore very unevenly. Corded on the very inside edge but tons of tread left. My mechanic noted that MPSS wear very unevenly. My camber/toe also wasn't high so I blame it on the tires.

Replaced with the Comp 2 A/S. They last a lot longer and have more rim protection than the MPSS. Probably a little less sticky than MPSS but can't beat the price, performance and treadwear package.

Haven't worn down a set of Comp 2 A/S yet so this is an early review for sure.
nilfinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #4
winterboy8

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Blue Velvet Metallic
I don't think you can order either one from TireRack anyway. I was on just now and all they have are Pirelli's, F1s and Hankooks in stock size and Pirelli's in the next size up which would be what MPSS are available in.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:04 PM   #5
sspddmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterboy8 View Post
I don't think you can order either one from TireRack anyway. I was on just now and all they have are Pirelli's, F1s and Hankooks in stock size and Pirelli's in the next size up which would be what MPSS are available in.
Their site shows 315 in stock: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...earDiameter=17

and 295's also show in stock but one of the PSS not sure if K1 or K2 looks like their not in stock: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSe...earDiameter=17
Old 09-16-2016, 02:35 PM   #6
sherob

Drives: 2015 SW 1SS/RS 1LE
I tried for a almost month to get a set of MPSS' from Costco... Worst experience I ever had at Costco!!!!

I ended up buying a set of BFG's at Discount Tire for have the price within 3 days!

Buttpaper and coffee at Costco... tires at Discount Tire!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=17325&pictureid=134228
sherob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:19 PM   #7
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff65SS View Post
Looking to buy a set of MPSS to replace the Goodyears. Where are people getting these? Anybody know anyone running a good deal on these right now? I think the total from TireRack is like $1800.
If you have Discount Tire/America's Tire near you, ask them to pricematch the TireRack price if they don't already beat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilfinite View Post
I like Comp 2 A/S... One of my cars came with MPSS from the factory and they wore very unevenly. Corded on the very inside edge but tons of tread left. My mechanic noted that MPSS wear very unevenly. My camber/toe also wasn't high so I blame it on the tires.

Replaced with the Comp 2 A/S. They last a lot longer and have more rim protection than the MPSS. Probably a little less sticky than MPSS but can't beat the price, performance and treadwear package.

Haven't worn down a set of Comp 2 A/S yet so this is an early review for sure.
BFG Comp 2 isn't even near the same class as the PSS.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:26 PM   #8
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
IMO, Idk why you'd spend the money on a PSS only to have a minor upgrade from a GYF1. Go with serious tires for handling (R888, NT01) or go DRs in the rear and steering tire up front.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:44 PM   #9
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
IMO, Idk why you'd spend the money on a PSS only to have a minor upgrade from a GYF1. Go with serious tires for handling (R888, NT01) or go DRs in the rear and steering tire up front.
They're probably not even an upgrade on the track. But they do last 3 times longer than the Goodyear F1s, they can tolerate a cold snap (not a problem for everybody and I wish it weren't for me, lol) and they are better in the wet. That makes the PSSs worth the premium for me.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 04:52 PM   #10
cal45

Drives: 2015 Blue Velvet Metallic ZL1
Quote:
I think the PSS are more than a minor upgrade over the GY's....switched to these for the front and tomorrow I will have my MT ET Street S/S on the rear.

cal45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #11
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member

Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Quote:
Yea that's ok if you only drive straight. DRs are not worth a crap when cornering. The sidewalls are to soft and can't handle the side load. The PSS are waaay better than the GYs. That's why GM went back to Goodyear and developed a new compound that matches the PSS on the 17 1LE and ZL1.
Old 09-17-2016, 11:57 AM   #12
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
On the street the Michelin Pilot Super Sports are more durable and more forgiving in the rain and cooler weather but the Goodyear F1 G2's are vastly superior on a road coarse because they do not heat up and get greasy like the MPSS but the GY F1's grip way better but it takes a toll on the lifespan. If you occasionally auto cross your car the MPSS may be better due to the fact that they heat up quicker.
Old 09-17-2016, 12:04 PM   #13
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLR ZL1 View Post
Yea that's ok if you only drive straight. DRs are not worth a crap when cornering. The sidewalls are to soft and can't handle the side load. The PSS are waaay better than the GYs. That's why GM went back to Goodyear and developed a new compound that matches the PSS on the 17 1LE and ZL1.
The Gy F1 G2's are track superior to the PSS and the new Gy F1 G3's seems to be even superior to the older generation and more on a level with the Pilot Cup 2's from Michelin.

I have Michelins on my daily driver wheel and Goodyears on my track wheels, best of both worlds.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:25 PM   #14
sspddmn

Are the new GY F1 G3's even out the n he market yet? I tried searching for them couple weeks ago and couldn't find anything.