Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 09-12-2020, 10:16 AM   #1
HoodCheck

Drives: 2018 ZLE (M6/hyper blue)
What double sided tape is used for the wheel flares?

My front wheel flares are separating in the top front just a bit, but enough to bug my OCD. Just curious if anyone knows if there is a certain double sided tape to use on them, or if any 3M body panel double sided tape will work.

May go with the body panel adhesive on top of, or in place of, the tape.
HoodCheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:20 AM   #2
Palutz
Banned

Drives: 22 ZLE M6
This is a link to a product I’ve read really good things about ...

https://modbargains.com/bmw-betalink...splitters-etc/

My flare is coming undone just a bit as well and from what I’ve read it has to do with the front splitter hitting or scrapping on things
Palutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:24 AM   #3
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palutz View Post
This is a link to a product I’ve read really good things about ...

https://modbargains.com/bmw-betalink...splitters-etc/

My flare is coming undone just a bit as well and from what I’ve read it has to do with the front splitter hitting or scrapping on things
Thats the adhesive I was thinking of as well. I also heard good things about it. I'm thinking to test it, I will find a BMW and attempt to rip the spoiler off to see how well it holds lol.
Kidding...maybe...

Also, nice car! Mine is #428
Old 09-12-2020, 10:34 AM   #4
Biergut

Drives: '15 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodCheck View Post
Thats the adhesive I was thinking of as well. I also heard good things about it. I'm thinking to test it, I will find a BMW and attempt to rip the spoiler off to see how well it holds lol.
Kidding...maybe...

Also, nice car! Mine is #428
I have some separation happening in the rear. I am also ham-fisted so while under warranty I'll attempt to get Chevy to take care of this issue. If I can't make that happen I'm the type who will just have to have a good body shop take care of it... I would certainly make it worse.
Biergut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:53 AM   #5
Palutz
Banned

Drives: 22 ZLE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biergut View Post
I have some separation happening in the rear. I am also ham-fisted so while under warranty I'll attempt to get Chevy to take care of this issue. If I can't make that happen I'm the type who will just have to have a good body shop take care of it... I would certainly make it worse.
Mine is under warranty also ... is this something a Chevy dealership should fix under warranty?
Palutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 10:55 AM   #6
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Just replaced all of mine. 3 were original and the adhesive was tough to remove but doable. The last one was something like beta link 2 and it was almost impossible to remove. I cleaned all the area will paint prep cleaner and used double side 3M auto molding stuff. That stuff worked really well but the double sided tape that is around the outer edge just is a hit and miss, mostly horrible. But these flares are designed to have access to removing the front and rear bumper covers without removing the entire flare. So any adhesive or tape installed on the bolt/bumper cover side will be good but you want it to be able to be replaceable without having to sand or grind the glue off. It’s tough to explain in so many words. Hope the pictures help. I’m actually trying out some very small dabs of super glue on the outer edge without removing double sided tape just to hold down the areas not used for bumper access. It seems to work but it’s tedious work to get just in the correct area and amount not to make a mess of it. Body shops probably do these work in their sleep. I just like to do things myself so I know how they work.
Attached Images

SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:09 AM   #7
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIM GhostrdrZ View Post
Just replaced all of mine. 3 were original and the adhesive was tough to remove but doable. The last one was something like beta link 2 and it was almost impossible to remove. I cleaned all the area will paint prep cleaner and used double side 3M auto molding stuff. That stuff worked really well but the double sided tape that is around the outer edge just is a hit and miss, mostly horrible. But these flares are designed to have access to removing the front and rear bumper covers without removing the entire flare. So any adhesive or tape installed on the bolt/bumper cover side will be good but you want it to be able to be replaceable without having to sand or grind the glue off. It’s tough to explain in so many words. Hope the pictures help. I’m actually trying out some very small dabs of super glue on the outer edge without removing double sided tape just to hold down the areas not used for bumper access. It seems to work but it’s tedious work to get just in the correct area and amount not to make a mess of it. Body shops probably do these work in their sleep. I just like to do things myself so I know how they work.
I'm the same way honestly; I like to know how to do my own stuff, mostly at the cost of many hours learning the hard way lol.

Thank you for all the detailed pictures, that will help tremendously!
Old 09-12-2020, 11:10 AM   #8
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palutz View Post
Mine is under warranty also ... is this something a Chevy dealership should fix under warranty?
Not anymore brotha. That wouldve been under bumper to bumper in the first 3 yrs/36k miles.
Old 09-12-2020, 11:12 AM   #9
HoodCheck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biergut View Post

Honestly while I want to do it myself, and probably can, for sake of time this is the route I might take. Its not bad or anything, but I'm anal enough to have bought a new (well, used) hood scoop due to a small chip in mine bugging me :|
Old 09-12-2020, 11:51 AM   #10
SIM GhostrdrZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodCheck View Post
Honestly while I want to do it myself, and probably can, for sake of time this is the route I might take. Its not bad or anything, but I'm anal enough to have bought a new (well, used) hood scoop due to a small chip in mine bugging me :|
If your speaking of the carbon fiber hood vent. They are not cheap and getting a perfect used one seems impossible. I’ve read where they can just be clearcoated to get them back to new again.
If I was smarter I would’ve had someone else do the flare. I just had time on my hands so I figure WTH. I also had a body shop set up to do them but they are so busy they said this winter because the guy likes to take more time on these kinds of projects. But they are done now and I wasn’t sure how well I’d like the silver vs black. But I like the silver plus it’s original.
If anyone needs more explanation of the bumper removal without removing the flares, just PM me. I didn’t realize they actually designed this way until I tore into them.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:23 PM   #11
SIM GhostrdrZ

I have no reference to the flare pulling other than expecting it to be perfectly flush. I wanted to share a picture of my spot and see how it compares to others. It’s on the rear plastic bumper cover area where an area seemed to stick but have a bit of a gap when I installed it. I like pictures, it keeps me from rambling on and shows more than what I can say. It was the original double sided 3M tape on the outer edge of the flare.
With the old black ones I never noticed these gaps because they seemed to blend. Now with the silver flares, everything stands out.
So does everyone else have perfectly flush flares the entire perimeter?
Thanks
Attached Images

Old 09-12-2020, 01:26 PM   #12
HoodCheck

Quote:
If your speaking of the carbon fiber hood vent. They are not cheap and getting a perfect used one seems impossible. I’ve read where they can just be clearcoated to get them back to new again.
If I was smarter I would’ve had someone else do the flare. I just had time on my hands so I figure WTH. I also had a body shop set up to do them but they are so busy they said this winter because the guy likes to take more time on these kinds of projects. But they are done now and I wasn’t sure how well I’d like the silver vs black. But I like the silver plus it’s original.
If anyone needs more explanation of the bumper removal without removing the flares, just PM me. I didn’t realize they actually designed this way until I tore into them.
Bumper removal without flare removal would be a damn good sticky for the page! Honestly I think that would deserve its own thread.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:28 PM   #13
HoodCheck

Quote:
I have no reference to the flare pulling other than expecting it to be perfectly flush. I wanted to share a picture of my spot and see how it compares to others. It’s on the rear plastic bumper cover area where an area seemed to stick but have a bit of a gap when I installed it. I like pictures, it keeps me from rambling on and shows more than what I can say. It was the original double sided 3M tape on the outer edge of the flare.
With the old black ones I never noticed these gaps because they seemed to blend. Now with the silver flares, everything stands out.
Thanks
That is basically what my front ones look like. Yours might be a smidge more pronounced in the pic, but not by much at all. I don't recall seeing any gap in my last Z/28, but, it was black so wouldn't have been nearly as noticeable as it is on my red one or your silver one...I bet it sticks out like a sore thumb on white.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:32 PM   #14
Scotty D

Drives: 2014 1le 1SS CRMT
Quote:
Thanks
Hey bud
You switched them all ?
Any way you can get behind that part of the inside bumper & push the flare & bumper flush ??
Scotty D is offline   Reply With Quote