Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 06-01-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
plumber84
Duke

Drives: Millennium Falcon
Phadt phase 5 Suspension

How much horsepower can the pfadt phase 5 suspension handle? I had the phase 5 installed and now i'm going to upgrade the engine in my 2011 Camaro. I don't drag race, only road racing. I don't want to overpower the car.

Last edited by plumber84; 06-18-2011 at 11:37 PM.
plumber84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:34 AM   #2
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
You won't. How much power are you looking at?
Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:18 AM   #3
plumber84
Duke

I'm thinking 600 rwhp naturally aspirated, reliable HP. I want to build this engine for durability.

Also, I get a nasty vibration, from the new engine mounts, when I first let out the clutch (low engine rpm). I'm afraid it will loosen all the bolts in the car, it's so bad. I have about 150mi. on the new mounts. Can anyone suggest a slightly softer engine mount?

Last edited by plumber84; 06-02-2011 at 07:36 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #4
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Sounds like you've got the makings of a really fun track car there! The Pfadt Stage5 package is the best off the shelf road race package you can currently buy for your Camaro. The coilovers in that package will be able to handle everything you can throw at them, and the supporting cast members really solidify both the rear and front suspensions for track use. It's the same package we run on our Camaro when we aren't testing prototype equipment, and the same package that was on the car when we took the Super Modified class and Fastest time of Day at the Camaro5FestII Autox.

The engine mounts do take a little time to break in, but if you're lugging the car off the line in first gear they will make themselves known. The trade off in snappier throttle response is well worth it in our opinion, and they will relax with a little more time.

Keep in mind that while you wont be in any danger of overpowering the suspension, brakes and tires are a different story. Make sure that you're running the most aggressive tire compound allowed by your race class, and a dedicated track pad will really allow you deeper and more reliable braking into corners.

Something else to keep in mind, we have expanded our NASA Contingency plan to include Camaros this year. If you're out there placing in NASA races it's definitely worth it to take a look at joining our Pfadt Race Team!

Your planned engine build sounds pretty similar to what we're running in our car right now. It's an LS7 with LS9 dry sump and cam available through GMPP. That setup may not be aggressive enough to reach a 600hp goal, but a wide naturally aspirated power band that's easy to keep cool is worth it's weight in gold after an entire track day.

Keep an eye out for our Camaro on your suspension package at tracks this year! Our next event is going to be the Spectre 341 Hill climb on June 17-19th. Should be a really great time!
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #5
plumber84
Duke

On the rear Pfadt coilovers are the 1st 5 coils supposed to be compressed and touching each other?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
PfadtRacing

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 2006 Z06
Hey plumber. Can you take some pictures and send them to info@pfadtracing.com ?

Shoot me over some pics to info@pfadtracing.com or give me a call at 1-888-972-2464 and lets get this sorted out.

Last edited by PfadtRacing; 08-09-2011 at 12:47 PM.
PfadtRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 12:24 PM   #7
plumber84
Duke

Binding Springs

As per phone conversation with Jarett....pictures sent....
Old 08-07-2013, 12:03 PM   #8
plumber84
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by PfadtRacing View Post
Sounds like you've got the makings of a really fun track car there! The Pfadt Stage5 package is the best off the shelf road race package you can currently buy for your Camaro. The coilovers in that package will be able to handle everything you can throw at them, and the supporting cast members really solidify both the rear and front suspensions for track use. It's the same package we run on our Camaro when we aren't testing prototype equipment, and the same package that was on the car when we took the Super Modified class and Fastest time of Day at the Camaro5FestII Autox.

The engine mounts do take a little time to break in, but if you're lugging the car off the line in first gear they will make themselves known. The trade off in snappier throttle response is well worth it in our opinion, and they will relax with a little more time.

Keep in mind that while you wont be in any danger of overpowering the suspension, brakes and tires are a different story. Make sure that you're running the most aggressive tire compound allowed by your race class, and a dedicated track pad will really allow you deeper and more reliable braking into corners.

Something else to keep in mind, we have expanded our NASA Contingency plan to include Camaros this year. If you're out there placing in NASA races it's definitely worth it to take a look at joining our Pfadt Race Team!

Your planned engine build sounds pretty similar to what we're running in our car right now. It's an LS7 with LS9 dry sump and cam available through GMPP. That setup may not be aggressive enough to reach a 600hp goal, but a wide naturally aspirated power band that's easy to keep cool is worth it's weight in gold after an entire track day.

Keep an eye out for our Camaro on your suspension package at tracks this year! Our next event is going to be the Spectre 341 Hill climb on June 17-19th. Should be a really great time!

08-05-2013, 04:51 PM I have the pfadt phase 5 race suspension on my car from 2 years ago. Only 9 track days on my car.I only drive it to the track and on the track (not my daily driver) 6900 miles on it. On Aug. 2nd 2013 I was scheduled for a 3 day track event at Watkins Glen and on the first day, second session, my drivers side lower control arm bushing broke (the polyurethane ripped out) causing my front end to feel like the front wheel was going to fall off. I had to extend my stay and have my car fixed (stock control arm replacement) so I could drive it home.

I'm a little dissatisfied with Pfadt as this is the second part to fail with hardly any milage on it. (Upper sway bar end link heim joint was the other failure) They sent me a new heim joint for "cost" $20 which I thought was unfair.

When everything was working the car drove like it was on rails, stable and predictable. I just think these parts should last longer than 9 track days.

I called them today (Got voicemail) and i'm waiting for a reply on the lower control arm bushing.

8/7/13 2 days have gone by and still no contact from Pfadt. Is this how they handle customer problems? All I get is voice mail. Left 2 messages. No response. I guess I should have gone with one of their competitors. Live and learn....
Old 08-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
So they are good parts just not very long lasting?
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:36 AM   #10
plumber84
Duke

Still no contact from Pfadt.......
Old 08-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #11
plumber84
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare2012 View Post
So they are good parts just not very long lasting?
As far as the front lower control arm busing (rear), yes. I have not checked the others yet. I'll report what I find as soon as I check everything out...
Old 08-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #12
plumber84
Duke

Pfadt Bushing

Finally, Pfadt called today. They are shipping out a new bushing free of charge.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:43 PM   #13
madmaxx18

Drives: 07_tundra/08_zo6
Funny I've never had any problems contacting them and getting help!!! By the way thanks Eric for helping me pick out the last few bushings I needed for the car. I now have ever single pfadt racing part for my car.
madmaxx18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #14
plumber84
Duke

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx18 View Post
Funny I've never had any problems contacting them and getting help!!! By the way thanks Eric for helping me pick out the last few bushings I needed for the car. I now have ever single pfadt racing part for my car.

How many track sessions do you have on the front lower control arms? Any problems? They told me 2 years and 28 track sessions (road course) is a lot of time on those bushings. This is not my daily driver just tracks days and driving to and from track.