Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 02-13-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
Mdejes3

Drives: 2012 VR SS Vert w/ CGM stripes
Well it seems..

That a skip shift eliminator may be the reason for some your's 2nd gear grind. Ive recently. Installed a hurst short throw and a skip shift eliminator and under hard acceleration have been grinding in 2nd gear. So I lifted the car and inspected the shifter, it was installed properly. So I brought it to the dealer to check the synchros and it was fine so I removed the eliminator and booya no more grinding. So I suggest try that out first. Ill just wait to get a tune for the shift lock outs.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:50 AM   #2
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
I suggested this a while back (over a year ago), but everyone seemed to think I was just out to insult them.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:58 AM   #3

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
I suggested this a while back (over a year ago), but everyone seemed to think I was just out to insult them.
Also, I think even the skip-shift itself being a problem is over-rated..lol
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:09 PM   #4
clayton006

Drives: 2011 2SS Black M6
Wish that was the answer to my problem. I haven't touched skip shift and I've got the grind. Like you said it may not be a fix for everyone, but good that it helped you out.
clayton006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:13 PM   #5
MIZ-ARO

Drives: 2012 Z71 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton006 View Post
Wish that was the answer to my problem. I haven't touched skip shift and I've got the grind. Like you said it may not be a fix for everyone, but good that it helped you out.
Same here, but I have wondered if the grinding does have something to do with the skip shift itself.
**GM Buyback** 2012 2SS/RS Convertible Hurst M6 Black/IOM/Orange Stripes #838
MIZ-ARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIZ-ARO View Post
Same here, but I have wondered if the grinding does have something to do with the skip shift itself.
Sorry you guys are having problems, maybe its hit and miss, or maybe I just don't drive that hard, but I did see a thread or a topic about 2nd gear grinds somewhere..."GM knows about it, and is looking into a fix"...something like that...good luck.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
I have had a skip shift for a while and have never had a second gear grind, before or after. I did just install a Hurst shifter, but I won't know if that is a contributing factor until April. But I doubt it.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL SS View Post
I have had a skip shift for a while and have never had a second gear grind, before or after. I did just install a Hurst shifter, but I won't know if that is a contributing factor until April. But I doubt it.
For what its worth, my experience going from stock to hurst billet plus has been no grinds of any kind with either one with the skip shift in place...
Old 02-13-2012, 12:50 PM   #9
RPM Transmissions

Drives: 2010 SS
One way to test this theory would be to take a car that has just started to experience the 2nd gear grind and simply unplug the skip shift solenoid. This will not have a negative affect on the transmission function. It will only disable the skipshift solenoid.
RPM Transmissions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:24 PM   #10
Mdejes3

Drives: 2012 VR SS Vert w/ CGM stripes
Well befor I installed both the shifter and skip shift, I never experienced a grind. My car is a 2012 with about 4k miles befor and after I installed them I started grinding really hard. The only thing that helped was removing the eliminator. I suggest to whomever has the eliminator and the grind to try removing it, just a help full siggestion
Old 02-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #11
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
I don't have a skip shift installed and I have some second gear grind.
Old 02-21-2012, 01:38 PM   #12
JerseyMonte

Drives: 1972 Z28
Chevy has to get with the program!

I got so tired of all the problems with the transmission in my 010 that I did something I never thought I would , I traded it for a Ford Got a 012 GT Mustang GT 6 man what a difference shifts like the Camaro should have. No satisfaction from the dealer couldn't see having it done on my own, why should I have to pay for thier F up.
I don't miss the grinding and all the cluncking and thumping noises from the front and rear ends I know they had problems with the Getrag trans but they man up to the problems and made many upgrades. Chevy won't even admit to any problems. Hated to do it never owned a Ford before but they made me do it Here is a list of all the upgrades

JerseyMonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
SummoneR
Paul

Drives: '10 2SS/RS M6 "Marauder"
Send a message via Yahoo to SummoneR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyMonte View Post
I got so tired of all the problems with the transmission in my 010 that I did something I never thought I would , I traded it for a Ford Got a 012 GT Mustang GT 6 man what a difference shifts like the Camaro should have. No satisfaction from the dealer couldn't see having it done on my own, why should I have to pay for thier F up.
I don't miss the grinding and all the cluncking and thumping noises from the front and rear ends I know they had problems with the Getrag trans but they man up to the problems and made many upgrades. Chevy won't even admit to any problems. Hated to do it never owned a Ford before but they made me do it Here is a list of all the upgrades
No one can MAKE you do anything. You always have a choice.

But I agree I had a 2000 Mustang GT that shifted way better than my Camaro :( No grinding, and it did not make a clunk clunk noise when I would let out the clutch fast with it out of gear... Chevy transmissions of late are not the greatest, I had a automatic in my 2003 GMC that was never right either... it shifted weird, gave me whip lash once...
Old 02-21-2012, 01:58 PM   #14
jmaynard

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS2
Quote:
Originally Posted by clayton006 View Post
+1
jmaynard is offline   Reply With Quote