Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 07-23-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
I really want a Harley, but . . . [Long read ahead]

Part of this is to just tell a story because I want to, I guess, and I'm also asking for advice.

First, let me start off by saying that in my entire life, I've only driven a motorcycle two times. Both times I was obviously not very confident. The first time, it was on my dad's 1982 BMW R65 - small by American standards, but he's Indian so to him it was bigger than anything else he had in India, and to me at the age of 14 it was a behemoth.

That time, I think maybe I wasn't strong enough. I let off the clutch too quickly and tried to compensate with gas and the thing shot forward, jerked and stalled. While I didn't fall off, I think my leg flailed about and I burned it on the exhaust pipe, and maybe I sprained something, who knows, but it hurt for a while. . . . So my parents freaked out and sold the bike just before I turned 17 for fear that I'd try it again . The other time, I drove a moped in India which is REALLY tiny - it felt like a kid's bike lol. That didn't go so bad, but it was really short and I have no idea how a heavier bike would feel.

So now it's safe to say I have no idea how to drive a motorcycle. I am now 27, my father passed away just two months ago, and one of his/my unfulfilled wishes was to actually teach me how to safely drive a bike/scooter/or really anything with two wheels and an engine lol.

By the way, it's worth mentioning that every woman in my life is against this idea for safety reasons - girlfriend, mother, and probably sister too (although her husband has a small 1980 something Suzuki bike).

I've always wanted to drive a Harley, or own one. Plus, now with an IOM Camaro SS in the garage, it would like nice as hell to park one next to it . I have no thirst for speed or racing or otherwise, stupidity, and I just like the feeling of riding. I recently gazed upon this beautiful monster (Night Rod Special):

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...special-bs.jpg

Some stats on the bike: 637 lbs and ~1300 cc.
Some stats on myself: 5'8", ~155 lbs

Now, I know I can't go from zero to this thing overnight. I know many of you have bikes, so my question to all of you is, where do I start? How do I go about learning? How much time/money should I spend on actually learning/teaching myself? Do I buy a beginner/beater bike? Is driving the Night Rod Special ultimately a pipe dream for me because I'm too small?

Your input matters. Thanks for reading
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 11:50 AM   #2
Shifty 6

Drives: 2010 GTI
First attend a motorcycle safety course. They are VERY VERY good. They take you from zero to a good beginner. Then get your self a Ninja 250 or even a 500, Honda has one that is supposed to be pretty good too. If the "sportier" bike is not your thing, find a good used 250-500 cc bike that fits your style. (I can't ride a cruiser, scares me, sport bike are my preference; I can't explain it either). Ride that for at least a season or two. Treat the thing with a little respect, and understand you are going to go down everytime you ride, and dress accordingly; helmet, gloves, boots, pants, coat. I can't go down the driveway with out those things, even in 100 degree weather. If I knew I was going to wreck that day I wouldn't ride, so be prepared with the gear. Treat every car like they are out to get you, and stay away from them.

That is the 10,000 foot view. Think about what can go wrong and take measures to eliminate those things and I think you will be OK.

Sorry to hear about your dad. I am sure your dad would be proud you are still trying new things. Good luck.

Love the screen name....you should be writing this down, this is good stuff!
Shifty 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
wbt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Challenger R/T;2011 Mustang GT
I have been riding on the street since the 90's. Mainly sport bikes. About a month ago I purchased a 2011 FLSTSB Crossbones, gloss black. I absolutely love it. Best street bike I have owned and the only bike my wife has ridden with me on. I looked at the Street Bob and Wide Glide but decided on the Crossbones as this was the last year model for them. Springer front and bobber seat. Doesn't get more unique than that.

Second piece of your question, Motorcycle Safety Foundation should offer classes in your area. I completed this when I began riding on the street and what you learn is invaluable and may save your life one day. That said, Harley offers programs for new to motorcycling owners.

http://nm.msf-usa.org/msf/ridercourses.aspx
http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...rn_to_ride.jsp

Riding is one of the most liberating things IMO.

Pics of my new bike:

Last edited by wbt; 07-24-2011 at 01:03 AM. Reason: Finish response...
wbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
eb_SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SSRS SGM
Here is a good article.

http://artofmanliness.com/2009/03/29...st-motorcycle/

Art of Manliness has lots of nice articles every now and again.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:51 AM   #5
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
Firt, that's a lot of bike for 1st time rider. As long as you go in understanding that AND respecting that you will start out ok.

As suggested, go the MSF course for training. This will be some hands on as well as classroom training that will be very beneficial.

One thing, and I may be remembering the statistics, half of all injuries are from riders not wearing helmets. 50% are alcohol related. I always joked I was trained and I didn't get on a bike within 2 hours of a beverage therefore I was invincible.

Your first failure will be to believe you won't get in an accident.

On a bike, you will be MUCH less likely to be seen (HD owners will tell you that you can help with a nice loud exhaust). People will pull out in front of you, cut you off etc. simply because they can't see you. So no matter how cool it looks to ride in t-shirt, leather up, wear gloves and a helmet.

Also a fender bender in a car is a call to your insurance company. A fender bender on your bike is at best a trip to your Dr. and likely to Emergency.

So training, training and more training. Check with your local HD dealer also, I think they offer some rides and activities that will help in this regard.

Riding is awesome. I don't do it much anymore as I have a sport bike and bad wrists and a bad shoulder (bad combination for holding a push up position for an hour or two). But as long as you recognize the added risks and be prepare yourself for them you will be fine.
Old 07-24-2011, 07:02 AM   #6
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
yikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OUTATIME View Post
. The other time, I drove a moped in India which is REALLY tiny - it felt like a kid's bike lol. That didn't go so bad, but it was really short and I have no idea how a heavier bike would feel.
I've seen how they drive in India. I don't know if I would have had the guts to do that. Maybe a tank, or full body armor

But then again, I'm 48 now and no longer immortal like I was when I was a youth

Good luck!!
cam62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:21 AM   #7
ironpeddler

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
I went through the motorcycle phase already. Have rode dirt bikes since I was a little kid, and had both crotch rockets and cruisers when I was older. I think that I have passed through the phase and I'm happy about that. THey are very dangerous, it's not you that you have to worry about, it's all those freaking idiot drivers out there that do not pay attention when they are driving. I do not want to convince anybody not to get a bike. They are one of the best toys to ride. And if you have never had a motorcycle, once you get the fever it will probably not go away until you get one. That harley is sweet man. Just be careful. Remember it only takes one time of a car hitting you or making you wreck, just one time, and you could be seriously injured for the rest of your life or maybe even dead. You have no protection when you are on a bike, you are open to everything. Rocks, bugs, the smallest things could cause you to wreck that you might not even think about. If you have a family and espcially kids please thing about it long and hard. You are responsible for more than yourself now and those people really depend on you. If "you" are the only responsibility you have, then if you are going to get a bike now's the time.

As i said before I have had many bikes, snow-mobiles, boats, jet-skis, atv's, all kinds of toys. Nothing gets or got my blood pumping or my body shaking like the 800hp car that I have now. If i was you I would take that Harley money and just build a freaking bad-ass camaro. All IMHO. Good luck to you on your decision. That's a real nice harley.
ironpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
outlaw2

Drives: 12 SS/RS Conv, 66 Impala SS Conv
Been on bikes since 73...2 types of bikers,Those that have been down and those that are going down. Crash the cheap little bike 1st not the New Harley, start out with 600 cc and go from there. A course is a must these days with all the Crazy cell phone drivers that DO NOT SEE US cause they don't want to see you. Know plenty who buy a $18,000+ bike ride it for a while have a close call and now it sits in the garage as a trophy...For sale Cheap, 1500 miles. My buddy just bought a 98 Softail for $5,000 under the same situation
Attached Images

Old 07-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Used Harley prices are crazy low right now. Best thing to do is go to a dealer and sit on a variety of models. There is a wide variety of seat heights and handlebar positions. Just have to keep trying them out till you find what feels right for you.

I wouldn't consider a V-rod based model as a good first bike. Something smaller and lighter to learn on would work much better. Plus you'll probably need to take a skills test for the motorcycle endorsement, not easy on a big heavy bike. Work your way up, maybe learn on a Sportser then a Dyna or Softail. Or something like a Suzuki SV 650 or Honda Nighthawk type. Those mid size import bikes are very easy to learn on.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:38 AM   #10
OUTATIME

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Thanks guys. This was all very helpful. Here's where I think I'm at:

With all the emphasis on safety that I'm seeing, I can't really be serious about the Harley until I'm super confident I can handle it. So what I'm going to do is apply for a Motorcycle permit, and take a class at Englishtown Raceway (most likely - they seem reputable). I'll see how that feels since they will fit you to either a 125, 250 or 500cc bike.

Passing a course is one thing, but confidence is something else entirely. I can pass a course by knowing just enough to get through it, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm confident. I'll see how my confidence level is after the course and go from there.
OUTATIME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:31 PM   #11
outlaw2

Drives: 12 SS/RS Conv, 66 Impala SS Conv
Very Smart way of going. We just lost a 27yr old lady this weekend she lost control of her new Harley on a straight road that goes for 30+miles, hit the center guard rail. She only had a learners permit and was out riding by herself...WTF how does one hit a center guard rail on a 4 lane highway?...To much bike for the confidence factor. Take Little steps OUTATIME