Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-24-2011, 01:20 PM   #15
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumblebeeAmigo View Post
Why do you care about weight?

really?

Does your garage have a weight limit?

Does your house live down a street with a bridge with a 4000 lb weight limit?

If so, you may want to check out a car like an S2000 or a Mazda Miata. They are both very light cars

Good one!!!
Old 10-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #16
The IOM Ninja
Account Suspended

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS, 13' GB Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Z28350 View Post
Just curious, am I the only one who feels disppointed now that the weight is revealed? The damn thing weighs almost a half ton more than a Z06! and 300 lbs more than a GT500.
Not to seem rude but did you actually expect for it to weigh any where near what the GT500 weighs? For that to happen the SS would have to weigh around what a GT weighs. I'm personally surprised it doesn't weigh more considering a stock GT500 is the same weight as a Automatic SS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'StangBlaster5000 View Post
I think right now, there are a lot of people perfectly happy to keep their heads in the sand.

They are comparing the ZL1's "NEW" 'Ring numbers with all of the "OLD" numbers from a few years ago, but when everything plays out, there are going to be a lot of Red Faces around here.

There are going to be a LOT of people who are going to find out just how much WEIGHT plays into everything. PEOPLE, there is a REASON the ZL1 has 80 MORE HP than a Zo6 Corvette, but yet, runs the 'Ring TWENTY SECONDS SLOWER!
I bet the ZL1 would run a much better time if they were to put Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Zero Pressure Tyres it. It shaved quite some time off of the ZR1 and Z06 times. Turns out the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup (Zero Pressure) are run flats, I see no reason why these couldn't be put on the ZL1 if the sizes are available and have it run better times. I agree though, the ZL1 never beat the ZR1's time or the Z06's time it beat an irrelevant time that has since been surpassed.
The IOM Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:49 PM   #17
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 'StangBlaster5000 View Post
I think right now, there are a lot of people perfectly happy to keep their heads in the sand.

They are comparing the ZL1's "NEW" 'Ring numbers with all of the "OLD" numbers from a few years ago, but when everything plays out, there are going to be a lot of Red Faces around here.

There are going to be a LOT of people who are going to find out just how much WEIGHT plays into everything. PEOPLE, there is a REASON the ZL1 has 80 MORE HP than a Zo6 Corvette, but yet, runs the 'Ring TWENTY SECONDS SLOWER!
You are correct, weight does play a factor.

The fact of the matter is a 7:41 at the Ring is impressive no matter what.
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:54 PM   #18
'StangBlaster5000

Drives: Waiting for the 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
You are correct, weight does play a factor.

The fact of the matter is a 7:41 at the Ring is impressive no matter what.
I'm not saying it ISN'T IMPRESSIVE! I'm saying it isn't 65K IMPRESSIVE
'StangBlaster5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #19
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
ZL1 stands for "Zee Large One"!!
LOL .. it certainly is heavy !! ..

Here is looking to the next generation and hopefully a full DIET!!

To the OP .. I don't think your the only one disappointed. It will certainly handle all of that weight though .. The Z06 is a totally different car/purpose IMO though.

Crowley
Old 10-24-2011, 02:01 PM   #20
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Quote:

really?

If so, you may want to check out a car like an S2000 or a Mazda Miata. They are both very light cars

Crowley
Old 10-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #21
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Please - everyone ease up. There are more details that we still don't know to worry about (like $$$...). I'm just asking we be a little understanding

Respectfully...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:12 PM   #22
ironpeddler

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
The ZL1 that ran the ring in 7:41 had a cage in it correct? Was probably gutted to a certain degree, i would bet no matter what anybody says.

4120 lbs for the manual and over 4200 for the automatic version. Doesn't even include fuel or the driver. No wonder nobody has made a post in the ZL1 section with the title being the weight. GL with that. Is even more than what I was thinking.
ironpeddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:24 PM   #23
AutoAgenda

Drives: 69 Camaro, 02 Escalade, 67 Eleanor
http://jalopnik.com/5852722/2012-cam...-specs-options
AutoAgenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:51 PM   #24
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
Quote:

really?

I'm just going to venture a guess and say you have never had your car on a track. Weight is a HUGE problem with performance cars. Yes the ZL1 performs great on a track and has been tested extensively but where is that threshold? At what point in modding will you have an issue. Is it like the LS3 SS where just sticky tires causes the drive shafts to break? We're talking about a Camaro here, not a Cadillac. A 4120lb. Camaro. That's almost 300 lbs. more than the SS. Come on, there was no way to keep the weight down? The answer is no because all of the power train components had to be upgraded because the weight of the car is too high on the car to begin with.

To the OP, I am very disappointed. My only hope is that there is a Z28 still in the works. This will be a great "halo" car for the line up and I'm sure enough people with the coin to buy one will tell you how great they are at winning trophies and making friends at the gas station. I can't keep defending the 5th gen. It's an overweight pig. Who ever had the idea of getting it on the big screen in transformers should be promoted to VP of Chevrolet because that's the only reason we still have a car called the Camaro.
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:00 PM   #25
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
^^ the only reason? Is it also because the Camaro offers some of the best performance PLUS creature comforts that are now expected and desired on most vehicles? Just because a car CAN be used on the track doesn't mean it will ever see one.
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #26
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpeddler View Post
The ZL1 that ran the ring in 7:41 had a cage in it correct? Was probably gutted to a certain degree, i would bet no matter what anybody says.

4120 lbs for the manual and over 4200 for the automatic version. Doesn't even include fuel or the driver. No wonder nobody has made a post in the ZL1 section with the title being the weight. GL with that. Is even more than what I was thinking.
It was missing the headliner and I believe a couple plastic trim pieces inside. HOWEVER, it also had a roll cage and another 30 pounds of telemetry equipment in the trunk.

When we start seeing other cars in the segment start posting 'Ring times, then we have something to talk about. Otherwise, it's just a bunch of nonsense, IMO.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #27
Black5thgen
Account Suspended

Drives: 2007 C6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
^^ the only reason? Is it also because the Camaro offers some of the best performance PLUS creature comforts that are now expected and desired on most vehicles? Just because a car CAN be used on the track doesn't mean it will ever see one.
I agree. That's why this car isn't for me. I like to track my cars. This thread is asking if you're disappointed, not if the car is a piece of crap. Some people here act like their mother was just verbally assaulted when you speak bad of the "ultimate camaro"
Black5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 03:15 PM   #28
Arachnyd
Master of all trades

Drives: 2many2count
Your 2014/2015 camaro will be lighter, and smaller on the alpha platform, so you guys will get your smaller ligher camaro eventually....

However, let me tell you, I'm a 250 LB 6'9" guy, and used to be much more than that. I've had a lot of people tell me I'm too big to play soccer, or run track, or whatever it is... but quite frankly, I was a soccer player (midfield), and I ran track (distance), and I was pretty dagone good at it, so I take the weight hits on the camaro probably a little too personally. I bet me being a 250 lb guy could probably out run the majority of the 150 lbers on these forums.

the point I'm trying to make is that weight is such a awkward area for everyone to base so much "weight" on... It is one of 1000 numbers to evaluate a sports car... So what if it was the same price, 500 less lbs, 50 less HP, lower torque, no electromagnetic suspension, ran the nurburing 30 seconds slower, .1 worse on the skid pad, and had a 1 second slower quarter mile. Would that make people happy?

there are always improvements, and there are a ton of things you can do to lower the weight of these things.... BUT looking at the weight as a single factor that is a deal breaker is foolish.

I have spent a little bit of time on the track, and I do race AutoX reliably... and I race my camaro SS and an '88 fiero GT. The fiero is about 1/2 the weight of the camaro, yet the camaro can run the tracks a lot faster...

How can that be if its DOUBLE the weight? Almost 2000 lbs more!!!! (GASP!)

I'm not trying to be a jerk and say weight doesn't matter at all, but how can all of you speculate that the weight is a problem when weight doesnt directly translate in any way shape or form a 1:1 relationship to any performance stat that you actually care about. Weight isn't a 100% guaranteed reflector of performance on a track. Yes it is part of the puzzle, but its not a 1:1 guaranteed predictor... so how can people speculate that the weight is a deal breaker without driving the ZL1 on the track and saying "Its great BUT the weight is a problem"?

As I keep stating almost annoyingly, You can't because of the simple fact that weight itself doesnt directly correlate with performance on the track. people are walking into calculus class arguing with the professor while all they know is arithmetic. You have to know the whole picture to make an argument, that is my argument!
2010 Camaro SS modified extensively. I stretched the body to make it a 4 door, but I swapped in the 3.6L DI V6 for fuel economy. Then I picked up a corvette body around the V8. I also swapped the body for a C2 Z28. (In short I traded it for three cars, a Corvette Z06r, a C2 Camaro Z28, and a Cadillac CTS Summer Performance package 3.6L DI with Aisin 6spd.)
Arachnyd is offline   Reply With Quote