Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-11-2011, 10:56 AM   #1
bthomp01

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM M6
Claying my car this weekend...

... in prep for being professionally detailed to get all the swirl marks out next weekend. I need to give it a good solid wash and get as much out of these wheels as I can before handing it over to the pro. He'll obviously do a clay as well, but it's another $80 and I don't think that's worth it when I can do it for half the cost myself, and it needs a wash after some nasty rain today and probably tomorrow anyways.

Any suggestions on a product? I'd like to order some adams stuff but I won't have ordered it in time for doing it in two days. Something I can pick up at auto zone or some other major auto retailer would be great! I'd also love some suggestions on microfiber and detailing spray until I can make the plunge for an adams bag full of goodies.

Thanks!

Matte Black Bumblebee Stripes - Unpainted Heritage Grille - Blacked Out Bowties - Stainless Works S-Tube Catback - CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake
Whiteline Rear Cradle, Rear Differential, Front Radius Rod Bushings - BC Racing BR Coilovers - Installed by Whiteside Customs

bthomp01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
I used Meguiars clay bar, comes in a box 2 clay bars, microfiber towel and the detailer needed. It was between 10-15 dollars. Worked well and I was amazed at the difference afte I had finished and waxed it. Good luck.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:31 PM   #3
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
The Meguiars product is excellent.

I highly recommend it. I think you will find that you won't have to take your car to a professional after you claybar.

Wash your car very good then follow directions below....

Take your time. It is very easy, you don't even have to press hard. Simply unwrap one of the bars and knead it out flat. Spray a little detailer on one area of your car and rub the claybar over it till smooth. You can fold and reflatten clay as needed. Do not drop the claybar. If you accidentally drop it on the ground... throw it away and open a new one.

Good luck... you'll be surprised how great the car will look.

P.S. I keep my used claybar in a ziplock bag for later use.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
to the posts above.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
bthomp01

Thanks for the help guys! I definitely need to do something after I clay it to get the paint swirls out, they're very pronounced.

I also have vinyl stripes on my car, how should I go about cleaning them? Should I clay them? They're flat black and I have no desire to make the glossy or shiny in any way. Just regular car wash shampoo or should I do something more once the clay is finished?

Matte Black Bumblebee Stripes - Unpainted Heritage Grille - Blacked Out Bowties - Stainless Works S-Tube Catback - CAI, Inc. Cold Air Intake
Whiteline Rear Cradle, Rear Differential, Front Radius Rod Bushings - BC Racing BR Coilovers - Installed by Whiteside Customs

Old 05-11-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Keep the clay away from the stripes, also, and more importantly don't cross over them with the clay as you'll end up with bits of clay stuck along that edge.

For cleaning just stick to soap and water. You can use detail sprays and things of that nature for touchup of if they look uneven, but only when they're cool to the touch. Vinyl is vulnerable when hot so spraying or putting anything on them while they're hot has a potential to discolor it.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 03:07 PM   #7
bthomp01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
You can use detail sprays and things of that nature for touchup of if they look uneven, but only when they're cool to the touch. Vinyl is vulnerable when hot so spraying or putting anything on them while they're hot has a potential to discolor it.
Oh boy, that'll be tough here in Texas... I'll do my best though, I definitely think they look great and I want to keep them that way. Thanks for the insight!

Old 05-11-2011, 03:18 PM   #8
RanDMC

Drives: 1LT/SS
When applying clay I've read that it is in a front to bacbk motion. is this correct and if so how big of a line should I be doing?
RanDMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #9
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
I have heard fron to back on top surfaces and top to bottom on side surfaces. You have tolimit the size of the area you are working so you don't run into dry spots with the clay, keep it to 12 by 18 inches max.