Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 04-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #15
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
There are good younger drivers...

The statistics here don't lie though. Younger drivers are more likely to get into accidents, especially in the first 2-3 years they drive.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #16
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by trewyn15 View Post
No offense but you drive an LT, it's a good amount of power but not a ton.

I agree though, irresponsible younger people should not drive sports cars due to inexperience and just plain showing off. It's not a good idea
Quote:
Originally Posted by driyac View Post
300+ horsepower is what the last generation had for a v8. I would say that is a good amount of power.
These V6 are no joke at all. Im 19 never had a speeding ticket or been in an accident. I have always driven powerful cars from my camaro, to a corvette, to a Few SS, and many others. In my opinion I feel like driving a Manual car has made me a better drive since you have to a be a little more aware of your surroundings and plan accordingly
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #17
moserbe

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dallas View Post
There are good younger drivers...

The statistics here don't lie though. Younger drivers are more likely to get into accidents, especially in the first 2-3 years they drive.
Now if they would just put down the cell phones while driving.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #18
CamaroJoe96

Drives: 2013 Full Bolt on LFX M6
Im just 16....

Since I was 14 when the camaro first came out I've always wanted one... so at that age I began selling the newspaper, which believe it or not was decent money... so when I turned 16, I had saved up to about 16k, which was enough to prove to my father that if he covered the rest for a purchase of a 1LS, that I would pay him back... all in all, my camaro has taught me that diligence, persistence, and responsibility will pay off... yes, people think im spoiled, look down on my parents for "buying me such a car" but honestly, I could care less because the car means so much more to me because I worked hard for it... I totally agree that there are quite a few irresponsible kids who really shouldn't be driving such a car, but at the same time there is a small corner of people like me who are probably more responsible drivers than some adults!
CamaroJoe96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #19
menendez1293
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by moserbe View Post
That's a big No. No text message is worth the distraction and disaster that it can lead to. It can wait. Only time I use my phone is when i have Bluetooth on to talk so I never have to touch my phone
menendez1293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #20
Kgarner1624

Drives: 13' BRM ZL1 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by moserbe View Post
Kids aren't the only ones that text and drive? Age doesn't determine driving skill or responsibility.. I know plenty of irresponsible drivers out there that are way too old to be considered "Kids".
Kgarner1624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:23 PM   #21
mikeyg36

Drives: 2015 Z/28 #533
Quote:
Originally Posted by driyac View Post
300+ horsepower is what the last generation had for a v8. I would say that is a good amount of power.
Previous years didn't way 3800 lbs though...
mikeyg36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:24 PM   #22
Stack4

Drives: 2014 SW 2LT/RS M6
I'm 16 and didn't get a Camaro because insurance would've been way too much.
A friend of mine wrecked his 2000 Mercury Cougar V6. That's not a powerful car. Anyone can wreck anything. To me, it seems like kids with the cars that aren't as fast are the ones who try to drive fast. After school Friday, a kid with a early 2000's Silverado did a burnout onto the street driving away from my school. Just today, I was going to my dealership to get oil filters and at a stoplight, a teenager with an old Hyundai was trying to race me. I didn't race or rev at all. He still did a burnout when the light turned green.
Stack4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #23
Kgarner1624

Drives: 13' BRM ZL1 A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stack4 View Post
I'm 16 and didn't get a Camaro because insurance would've been way too much.
A friend of mine wrecked his 2000 Mercury Cougar V6. That's not a powerful car. Anyone can wreck anything. To me, it seems like kids with the cars that aren't as fast are the ones who try to drive fast. After school Friday, a kid with a early 2000's Silverado did a burnout onto the street driving away from my school. Just today, I was going to my dealership to get oil filters and at a stoplight, a teenager with an old Hyundai was trying to race me. I didn't race or rev at all. He still did a burnout when the light turned green.
exactly.
Kgarner1624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #24
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
It doesn't matter what the kid is driving, it's still 3000lbs of death on wheels if they treat it like a toy.

Most of the time it comes down to good parenting, and personality of the individual. There's plenty of dumbass guys my age (mid twenties) cruising around the streets. They're just as dangerous as a 16 year old behind the wheel.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #25
Vileone

Drives: 2012 black 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by velocity149 View Post
Ok, so a lot of people on this site seem to think that kids (early drivers) should not be able to drive a powerful car like the Camaro. There are alot of stories about kids getting into accidents and dying or killing their passengers, or other drivers. Here is what I think:
Saying that "kids" should to have the opportunity to drive these cars, is an unfair statement. I personally bought my car after my father passed away. I was 18 Years old, and am still paying for my car by myself. I am a very responsible driver, like a lot of other "kids" out there. The reason kids are always in the news, is for that exact reason: Kid + Nice Car + Crash = News. Any person is capable of driving in a manner that endangers lives, and even reading on these forums, "4 cylinders is enough for kids" comes up enough. All I am trying to say, is if a "kid" can legitimatly buy his/her own car and be a safe, proud owner of it, than it should be accepted.
When i think kids with powerful car i think why are you paying those outrageous insurance prices or why are your parents doing that or finally the most important.. Your not driving with insurance therefore no matter what your endangering others
Old 04-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #26
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
I Agree with Tracy, when I was 15 the only manual our family had was my dads '09 Zo6...learned to drive a manual on that monster. Taught me to respect cars and be aware of the other drivers. Almost 5 years later no accidents and the discount on my insurance was rewarding.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #27
Stack4

Drives: 2014 SW 2LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Nasty View Post
I Agree with Tracy, when I was 15 the only manual our family had was my dads '09 Zo6...learned to drive a manual on that monster. Taught me to respect cars and be aware of the other drivers. Almost 5 years later no accidents and the discount on my insurance was rewarding.
When I was 15, I learned on my mom's CTS-V. It was the only automatic car that we had. I learned stick on a Cobalt. The V still scares me.
Stack4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:44 PM   #28
Neumatic

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
All in how the "kid" has been raised and taught to drive. My daughters were drag racng at 15 and running 7 seconds in the 1/4 mile by age 16.

No issues on the street running any of our 11-10 second vettes, etc. but I see idiots kill themselves all the time in a car they have never been taught to respect.
Everything about this post is right.
Neumatic is offline   Reply With Quote