Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-01-2011, 10:28 PM   #15
black79ta

Drives: 79 transam with 582cid dart motor
i got the stuff on my camaro...they only charged me 400 tho. said i can bring it in for a full detail near t he end of the warrnaty or whenever i want

2010 Camaro (inferno orange, 2SS, RS and such)
cat backs, catch can, CAI on the way
79 Transam, 582 cid dart motor 779hp 315's out back 40spline gdaxles tko tranny
black79ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:06 PM   #16
KnightRiderSS
Voodoo Medicine Man

Drives: Black 2SS with RS package
I got it for free b/c I have the hook up.....car still gets dirty......
Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 AM   #17
Iwantone2
Voice Of The Voiceless

Drives: CGM 1SS RS
I have a bridge for sale, if anybody wants it

Old 06-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #18
FL1CK
Switchin' n Twitchin'

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRichZ06 View Post
I work for a dealership as well and I offer something of more value for the same (or less) price. We offer our customers a "punch card" good for 4 complete paint protection packages. Each time they come in for the service they receive a clay bar treatment, buff, hand wax, polish and a complete interior detail. We do this every 6 months for the first 2 years or whenever the customer wants to use the card. To us that's a better value for the customer and we their car is taken care of at least 4 times, rather then one time only. We do offer Xzylon, but I try to stay away from it for the reasons stated in this thread.

Free swirls and scratches for 2 whole years? What an awesome deal! I would never let any dealership "buff, hand wax, and polish" my car... dealerships are NOT detailers... totally different. Thanks for the deal, but no deal!
FL1CK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:29 AM   #19
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rage View Post
... dealerships are NOT detailers... totally different.
Sad, but true.

Even if a dealership does employ a skilled detailer the time allotted and turnover expected doesn't allow for quality work. A friend of mine, a VERY talented detailer, has had to take a job as a 'porter/detailer' at a dealership due to tough times financially. He is capable of amazing work, but the dealership won't pay for quality supplies, won't allow him enough time to do anything more than just a rush job, and generally just want him to wash the car and throw on glaze as fast as humanly possible. Hes tried to show them what he can do and what it would mean to the delivery of vehicles to customers, but they don't seem to care.

It eats him alive inside, but paycheck is a paycheck when you need one so I don't blame him.

The things hes told me from 'behind the scenes' pretty much confirm what most of us are discussing here. The paint protection (they sell a similar thing at his dealership for $500) is nothing more than basic paint sealant., no different than something like our Superwax, or Zaino, or Powerlock, or any other number of quality paint sealants. According to him cost p/32oz a staggering $22 to the dealership... thats a NICE markup when you consider they probably treat around 20 cars with one bottle (20 cars x $500 = $10,000 minus $22 for the product and how ever many hours of labor to apply p/car)

The only justifiable part of the cost is the fact the 'protection' comes with a warranty for 5 years, the catch is (and the part most customers don't bother to read in the fine print) is that the car has to be brought back to the dealer every 6 months for a new coat or the warranty is void. They're pretty much banking on the fact you'll forget or you'll miss that 6 month window at some point.

Thats the part the salesmen don't tell you.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:51 PM   #20
RichieRichZ06

Drives: 2006 Z06, 2015 Z06, 2014 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Rage View Post
Free swirls and scratches for 2 whole years? What an awesome deal! I would never let any dealership "buff, hand wax, and polish" my car... dealerships are NOT detailers... totally different. Thanks for the deal, but no deal!
It's not his first day on the job and we're not your typical dealership either. We've actually invested some time and money into training. Lol.

We also only use Meguires, Zaino, Adams and other quality chemicals. They're not out back with a gallon on Dawn detergent. Haha

I just walked out back and snapped a couple pics of my Z06 that has been cared for here at work on a regular basis by our detailer. Keep in mind this is mostly a track car that gets the chit beat out of it every weekend. We also do all the washing, clay bars, buffing etc here. Let me know if this looks like it's all scratched up and swirled.

RichieRichZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 12:43 PM   #21
Duramac

Drives: 2015 SS Camaro
I had Xzilon applied to my Camaro 2 months after purchase. When I purchased the Camaro the original wax the used was great, after rain there was never water marks, no wiping off or anything. After the Xzilon coating the water marks were horrendous and very difficult to remove. As far as I'm concerned the product is a complete waste of time and money and in my case seems to make the paint more susceptible to marks. I went into the dealer and got "loud" in the showroom, got removed into an office and they refunded the full amount.
Work: DMax BLACK '05 LS CC LB, Banks Economind, IQ, Intake, SpeedBrake, Boost Tube, Monster Exhaust, AFE MP, Amsoil & Bypass, VHF Radio, Jotto Desk Laptop command center, Rescue Gear, Lotsa Flashy LED's, Shinny Decals, B&W Turn Over Ball & Companion, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Lift Bags
Play: 2015 2SS RS Camaro , 2014 36' Heartland Warrior Toy Hauler, 2014 Roadking, Kayaks

Duramac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 07:34 PM   #22
AbsoluteMayheM
LongTimeLurker

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS Convertible L99
I only wash my car with blue haired unicorn tears! Always spotless!

AbsoluteMayheM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 12:18 AM   #23
scandata

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS vert, Spring Green Edtn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidd218 View Post
I was just uneducated on it and was just plain excited about my car that I didn't think it through.
Don't feel bad, we've all got stories about making impulse decisions (I've got plenty). It's a right of passage!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v692/scandata/sigpic_zpsxmxmbipg.jpg
scandata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 11:10 AM   #24
Duramac

Drives: 2015 SS Camaro
Update. Crap mate. Got shit on by a pterodactyl and it took a cutting compound to get it off after 2 hours in the sun. Crap mate.
Work: DMax BLACK '05 LS CC LB, Banks Economind, IQ, Intake, SpeedBrake, Boost Tube, Monster Exhaust, AFE MP, Amsoil & Bypass, VHF Radio, Jotto Desk Laptop command center, Rescue Gear, Lotsa Flashy LED's, Shinny Decals, B&W Turn Over Ball & Companion, Firestone Ride-Rite Air Lift Bags
Play: 2015 2SS RS Camaro , 2014 36' Heartland Warrior Toy Hauler, 2014 Roadking, Kayaks

Duramac is offline   Reply With Quote