Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #1
Kenmecca
Mecca SS

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS IBM M6/ '05 Hemi Magnum
New Record for Failure?

Cant believe it- bought my dream car on Saturday- Brand New IBM SS/RS. I have spent the last 4 months on these boards learning so much from everyone of all the do's and dont's. On Sunday was just driving down the road and bam! sounded like I threw a rod of something- well it was a couple of valve springs that broke- @ 127 miles WTF! Im finding out what Chevy is going to do- I dont want a damaged engine with less than 24 hrs on it that is for sure. Wasnt even goosing the engine and I was in maybe 3/4th gear at the time.
Of course forgot my cell, my wife forgot hers and we had our 7 y.o. in the car. As I was using a call box that was 5 feet in front where I limped it, I remembered I had Onstar.
Kenmecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #2
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Your story sounds like hell man.

First off, was the car brand new? How many miles? If under at least 1000, there is this thing called a break in, did you abide by it? If not, you dug your own grave.

Sorry to hear.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #3
InfernoSS454

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Break in break in that's no excuse the car shouldn't of fd up. Sorry bro I think u got a lemon.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #4
Kenmecca
Mecca SS

It had 12 mies on it. Yes I was breaking it in correctly. Even if I smoked the tires it shouldn't do that.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
There's no way they can blame you for this one!!

Crap happens sometimes, even on brand new engines.

Good luck, hope they take care of you!!
Tune by DynoSteve via SCTx4 Tuner

One of 82 GF Ragtops built in '15 out of 811 Total

[/SIZE]

theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
I got you beat. My car broke a valve spring at 60 miles. Happened just as I pulled into my driveway after getting it from the dealers.

Oh the funny thing was that I was telling my fiance that this car was a good buy and that American cars have came a long way blah blah blah. Then this happens right as we got home...talk about embarassment. Then the week after, some sensor broke that caused the passanger side airbag light to go bonker. Then soon after that, there was an air leak that caused the car to run lean and throw the CEL. Turned out that the intake manifold was leaking on the #8 runner. Then I'm getting second gear grinds even when the transmission is warmed up. Actually, it just grinded this morning just as I pulled into my work place.

I don't know what to say...I have never had any car ever that had this many problems and I haven't even owned the car for a year yet. If I brought my car into the dealer to fix the second gear syncro, I could lemon law my Camaro since I would meet the requirements. But I don't want a new Camaro because they don't make them in CGM anymore.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #7
Kenmecca
Mecca SS

So it sounds like they just fixed your valve springs? They are talking full engine replacement, Im thinking I may just want to ask for a different one- it'll never be as good as new again. Ill at least ask for an extended warranty or something. Did you ask for any compensation for it dying so soon?

QUOTE=Nessal;4964844]I got you beat. My car broke a valve spring at 60 miles. Happened just as I pulled into my driveway after getting it from the dealers.

Oh the funny thing was that I was telling my fiance that this car was a good buy and that American cars have came a long way blah blah blah. Then this happens right as we got home...talk about embarassment. Then the week after, some sensor broke that caused the passanger side airbag light to go bonker. Then soon after that, there was an air leak that caused the car to run lean and throw the CEL. Turned out that the intake manifold was leaking on the #8 runner. Then I'm getting second gear grinds even when the transmission is warmed up. Actually, it just grinded this morning just as I pulled into my work place.

I don't know what to say...I have never had any car ever that had this many problems and I haven't even owned the car for a year yet. If I brought my car into the dealer to fix the second gear syncro, I could lemon law my Camaro since I would meet the requirements. But I don't want a new Camaro because they don't make them in CGM anymore.[/QUOTE]
Old 05-15-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
The dealer said that there was no PV contact so they just redid all the springs. He told me that the valve spring are double springs so if one broke, the other will still prevent the valve from dropping. Well that simply isn’t true because the stock valve spring are single springs. That does not instill much confidence in me when the dealer doesn’t even know WTF he is talking about. Trust me, I know how you feel. You just paid 36k for a brand new car only to have engine failure the first day then a bunch of problems right after. I should have jumped on the 135i when I had the chance but the Camaro won me over with its sexy looks. It’s a great car…don’t get me wrong. Just sucks that when I bought the car, my friends and family were telling me not to buy an American car because they are unreliable and I told them that they are wrong and that American cars have came a long way from what they used to be….and in the end, I only proved them right. LOL…quite embarrassing….especially so soon.

Good luck getting them to throw a new engine in there. Even if there was PV contact I still bet that they won’t give you a new engine. They’ll probably just replace the head, valve, springs, piston, and resleeve it. It sucks and the car will never feel right to you again. Honestly, with all the problems that I have had, I would not trust it on a long trip. I just don’t trust the car. At one point when all the problems were happening, every time I had to drive the car, the only thing that I’m wondering is “What’s going to screw up this time?”. It’s not a good feeling and does not give you a sense of confidence in your brand new vehicle. But I couldn’t let the car go because it does give me a lot of enjoyment....more than any other car that I have in the past. Just wish it wasn’t like this.

Everything is running well…for now. I can look past all the faults and enjoy the car for what it is. That’s the only thing that is preventing me from lemoning it. The only thing that bugs me is the second gear syncro. We do have a 5 year warranty on it so if it craps out within 5 years I’m still good.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:52 PM   #9
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
think you should talk to them about giving you an extended warranty. unless the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty will still cover it
Old 05-15-2012, 02:07 PM   #10
woodstock

Drives: 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Parts can fail,new or old has nothing to do with break in.
woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #11
Kenmecca
Mecca SS

They are putting in a new motor- Im going to try and get them to pay for an extended warranty or at least part of it- I was going to wait until 11000 to get one - they already agreed to paying for 1st month's payment.... Thanks for the feedback. Im not gonna be scared to run the car after I break it in- still have my backup car