Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #15
AK Mike

Drives: 1951 Chevy Pickup 2010 Camaro
We're planning on making the trip with our 2010 Camaro SS (getting built this week, I hope!). One of the classes I teach is on Risk Management and I'm like most folks (I think...) in that most times I don't feel the 'need' to carry a weapon....except one period where I worked nights and closed the shop (that was next to a 'shady' side of town) by myself at 0400....and those times when I'm out in the woods, then it's a .44 magnum, .375 H&H rifle or a 12 gauge shotgun, depending on my particular preference of the day. Back to Risk Management; during my research, I've learned that many people do not assess risk very well at all, depending on their individual experiences and knowledge. Those that learn all they can about bears (or snakes, or society, or driving fast, or.... etc.) often understand the risk much better than those who simply let paranoia or ignorance make their decisions for them. Do I think I'll be mugged by some doped up maniac on my trip? Heck no! But, acknowledging society's issues lets me be prepared rather than running around fat dumb and happy, then wondering what happened....because bad things only happen to the 'other guy'...right?? I'll avoid trouble whenever/wherever I can and I'm the first guy to start running away....don't chase me though, 'cause the last lesson you'll learn is how well I shoot.
AK Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:54 PM   #16
diddiyo

Drives: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
Wow must be the Canadian in me, but I drive everywhere (in the states included) and I have never felt unsafe enough to need a gun.

Don't drive down scuzzy streets late at night looking for gas stations, keep your doors locked and don't follow anyone into a back alley cause they want to show you something.

i still think that if you buy a gun out of fear, trouble will indeed find you.
diddiyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:07 PM   #17
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
I work in Detroit...as a PO for a long, long time. Here is my advice (other than previously posted)

If you look like you know what you are doing, scan around, don't flash anything, use common sense, for the most part, you have nothing to worry about. Do not be pulling a wad of cash out at the register or go for your wallet for your credit card while at the pump.

For the most part, you are 99.9% assured of a smooth trip anywhere. It is the stupidity that people engage in (lack of common sense) that gets them in a jamb. Then there is that miniscule "dumb f-ing luck" that bites the completely randoms.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:13 PM   #18
pinkcamaro10
2G1FC1EV1A9110079

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS, 2013 2SS/RS 1LE
Send a message via MSN to pinkcamaro10

well.............. this is normally what i use...
Old 10-19-2009, 11:14 PM   #19
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
am I the only one that thinks this is over exagerated?
You really think the continental united states is more dangerous tha Alaska?

Please, I've spent most of my life in one of the most dangerous areas in the world and never felt the need for a gun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 View Post

gangsta
Old 10-19-2009, 11:18 PM   #20
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkcamaro10 View Post

Pink... where's that can I had for you the other day...
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:37 PM   #21
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
am I the only one that thinks this is over exagerated?
You really think the continental united states is more dangerous tha Alaska?

Please, I've spent most of my life in one of the most dangerous areas in the world and never felt the need for a gun.
I did state that 99.9% of the time, nothing to worry about. Over exagerated? Depends on the person, depends on that persons personal experiences, depends if that person was a victim of a serious personal crime EVER or especially within the past 3 years.

When you got your bicycle stolen in first grade, how long did it take before you forgot about it? Your first bad accident? Your first bad breakup?

Anything and everything affects people differently. There is no set criteria for any "golden rule".

I too lived in Alaska and it scared the shit out of me! To an indigenous Alaskan, I bet they didn't worry about what I worried about. Same holds true to working the crap in Detroit. To me, I am home...to a suburban cop, very uncomfortable, to a suburban citizen, utter hell and chaos. All depends on your familiarity, common sense and sanity.

Overexagerated? No. Perhaps well planned and thought out...I take my gun whenever I go out of state...for just such reasons....You just never know...ever.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?

Last edited by Banshee; 10-19-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:53 PM   #22
manimsoblack

Drives: 04 Pontiac Grand Am, 08 Ninja 650r
I see your

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post

and raise you a

Name:  PLR16-1.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  136.4 KB

but seriously this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
Carry the pistol wherever Alaska's permit allows you to. When you can't carry, lock it in the trunk.

Last edited by manimsoblack; 10-20-2009 at 01:48 AM.
manimsoblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #23
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:41 PM   #24
2bravo

Drives: Empty
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsnoflake View Post
Wow must be the Canadian in me, but I drive everywhere (in the states included) and I have never felt unsafe enough to need a gun.

Don't drive down scuzzy streets late at night looking for gas stations, keep your doors locked and don't follow anyone into a back alley cause they want to show you something.
Yeah... I just can't get over how many gun threads there are on this forum. I took a road trip to Boston over (our) Thanksgiving weekend (American Columbus Day) and wonder how many of the drivers on the highway were packing heat... it's a bizarre thought to most Canadians, I would say.

There was a thread in the media and pictures subforum about "Action Pictures" with your Camaro and the OP posted his action pic... it caught me totally off guard... the guy was standing up through his sunroof with two handguns! Not what I was expecting!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not denoucing your right to bear arms or anything. I'd just say it's a major difference between American and Canadian culture...

Absolutely loved Boston by the way!
2bravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 01:52 PM   #25
Susantroy1
To All Veterans

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Inferno Orange
Hey Mike,

Not everybody is thugs and rapists out to get you.... turn off the boob tube, get out more often and remember your AARP card.....

Susantroy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #26
Partick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Not sure how old you are but my parents are in their mid 70's and last year they drove from home in NorCal to see my brother in Chicago and had no problems. This year they drove to their timeshare in Mazatlan and said they felt safer on the roads in Mexico than they did in the US lol. They were careful about where and when they traveled, didn't wander to far off the beaten path, always made sure they filled up during daylight hours and avoided travelling at night as much as possible and had a great time. They really like their Garmin GPS when looking for gas, food and other POI.

Happy travels!
Partick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 01:56 AM   #27
Chris@glimmerglass

Drives: 2001 S10, 2002 M3
Send a message via AIM to Chris@glimmerglass
OC Spray. Stream, not spray though. That stuff is worse than being shot!