Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-11-2010, 03:32 AM   #1
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
aFe Cold Air Intake Install/Review!!!

While awaiting my order of Doug Thorley Catbacks to arrive I decided to try out an aFe (Advanced Flow Engineering) Stage 2 Cold Air Intake.

Construction seems a step above the rest with a nice powdercoated black wrinkle finish heat shield and oversized cotton filter. This is the "non-oiled/Pro-Dry 5" version as there is just too much dust here in New Mexico to try and do the "oiled/Pro-5R" version.

I'd be cleaning that thing every Sunday. Not cool!

aFe Claims a 10HP/12ftlbs of Torque. As with most all CAI's, there is probably no way to really "feel" the increase as I really didn't. But then again, it's 2:14 in the AM and maybe it's just because I'm always impressed with the Camaro's power so..?? I'll report again tomorrow after some more shakedown rides. I'm sure on a Dyno it probably does get at least 10hp as there is a different note on idle and a slightly improved response in throttle.

Installation is very simple. Instructions are superb. First class all the way. Along with the fantastic pictures of all the steps come detailed verbage to accompany them.

I would highly reccommend this as a DIY to the most novice of garage mechanics.

Start to finish was 34 minutes and that was a good 3-5 minutes looking for the one damn 8mm 1/4 drive deep socket that I have. How can I have so many tools and be missing the 8mm socket in almost every single box?

Design is well thought out, using the OE (air intake) piece on the front of the heat shield. It is removed from the old air box and simply snapped into the metal aFe piece. Easy day.

The only piece of information that might be helpful in the instructions is that when you remove the small piping on the passenger side of the intake tube going into the TB, you must be diligent and careful as the plastic is firm and not very forgiving.

A firm consistant tug solves the issue.

Overall I'd totally recommend this to anyone looking into a new Cold Air Intake system. This unit is very well constructed with quality parts and sturdy materials. Detailed instructions, more than enough packaging, every part (right down to a torx bit for the factory MAF sensor) is included with aFe's kit.

Seeing the retail on it for around $350 and on sale here and there for much less, this is a sound and smart buy in my opinion.

In an ocean of Cold Air Intakes, this unit set's itself aside from the rest.

Enjoy!,
Ivan
Attached Images

Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #2
Soundwave

Drives: Camaro SS(2)/RS
You should put your stock box back on and we'll data log before and after to show everyone REAL results of what a CAI actually does!
Old 04-11-2010, 09:13 AM   #3
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
You should put your stock box back on and we'll data log before and after to show everyone REAL results of what a CAI actually does!
Are you going to make it today??? I'd be totally into doing it. It only takes a few minutes (literally) to swap the intakes out.

Could prove to be interesting.

-Ivan
Old 04-11-2010, 12:24 PM   #4
ORANGE U NV

Drives: The Wife Crazy
The intake tube looks almost stock with the small tube attached at the elbow. This set up looks the opposite of the SLP Blackwing. SLP uses the stock air box with a streamline elbow. This system looks like a similar OEM elbow using a open style airbox.Yet everyone claims power gains

2010 2SS IOM/IOM L99 Black Rally Stripes, Polished Wheels, Loudmouth II, Rotofab CAI, IOM Heritage Grille,Tune by Jeremy Formato (Fasterproms Tuning).
ORANGE U NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGE U NV View Post
The intake tube looks almost stock with the small tube attached at the elbow. This set up looks the opposite of the SLP Blackwing. SLP uses the stock air box with a streamline elbow. This system looks like a similar OEM elbow using a open style airbox.Yet everyone claims power gains
I need prolly to post a pic of both intake tubes next to each other.

The aFe piece is definitely larger and the resonator chamber is definitely smaller. I'm not claiming it's the best but simple physics says that it has to allow more airflow with a larger diameter intake tube and a larger surface area of air filter. Are you thinking that your RotoFab isn't all it's cracked up to be or....??? Gonna try and do some datalogs with it later today as well as some stock datalogs.

See if these things do what they say they do and if they do by how much.

-Ivan
Old 04-12-2010, 01:10 AM   #6
Soundwave

Drives: Camaro SS(2)/RS
I was sleeping all day and now back at work. Hit me up on a Friday or something, I'd love to do this so everyone could see what I've been asking for from "I installed an intake" posts lol.
Old 04-12-2010, 01:17 AM   #7
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
I was sleeping all day and now back at work. Hit me up on a Friday or something, I'd love to do this so everyone could see what I've been asking for from "I installed an intake" posts lol.

You and I are on different tracks today....got up early...napped for a few and now, I'm up trying to finish a couple 1050 and 1750 Word APA Essays....one I got in under the clock, the other is officially "late." But I'd rather be a few minutes late then a day or two late.

Yeah, I'll take the Diablo with me all week and see about catching up with you. Would be VERY interesting to see some real numbers I'm thinking. Don't worry...I kept my OE setup just in case. lol.

I got your number so I'll text ya or you text me if you know you got some free time one day or evening.

Thanks and best of luck in your classes as well....
-Ivan
Old 05-11-2017, 08:57 PM   #8
Ethan22

Drives: '11 Camaro 2SS/RS
What was the conclusion of the comparison?
Ethan22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 09:10 PM   #9
Camaro Dude

Drives: ‘13 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethan22 View Post
What was the conclusion of the comparison?
Your revival feels like that scene on Planet Miller.

"7 Years Per Hour Here"

loll
Camaro Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:15 PM   #10
0331Marine

Drives: 2012 SS/RS MN6
Its alive!!!!!!!!
0331Marine is offline   Reply With Quote