Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

View Poll Results: What should be done with speed limits?
No speed limits anywhere 12 13.04%
F class liscense for capable drivers in capable cars to not obey limits 47 51.09%
Lots of speed limits like currently(I like driving slow) 33 35.87%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2009, 09:33 PM   #15
The Boat
His seafaringness

Drives: yugo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19K3SS View Post
My question is, despite what one driver thinks he's capable of, and assuming he then passes a test, isn't he still human, and has a day where maybe he's not quite as quick on his reaction time and then plows into a kid chasing a ball into the street in what used to be a 25mph neighborhood zone now going 145mph? The options you give are a bit childish, to give the option to keep speed limits meaning "I like to drive slow". Yes, I would like to see our country develop an Autobahn-type road at some point. But to say "no speed limits ANYWHERE" is a bit of a stretch.
i didn't say no speed limits anywhere... that wass just a poll option
The Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:34 PM   #16
The Boat
His seafaringness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
I believe there should be or could be a different limit for cars capable of attaining an increased speed and the completion of a comprehensive course..

Where you will have a problem is liability.

OK, you have a fast car and a fast car speed limit license. You kill or severely injure someone due to speed and the state can be held negligent.

Nice thought though...I liked what they did in Montana..unlimited speed is specific areas..
Ok, rewrite liability laws... there you go...
Old 03-29-2009, 09:35 PM   #17
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
This would never work. as it is now people dont know how to abide by the rules of the road to allow this to happen. just be cause your more capable at driving doesnt mean the retard who doesnt look before switching lanes wont pull out in front of/into you while your going 40 MPH faster than them.

now if there was a lane or two devoted to F licensed drivers then it could work out.
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:37 PM   #18
NightmareSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 92 300zx 2001 Ram
LOL this has to be the dumbest question ever...no offense or anything but come on seriously? I mean i like to drive fast and ill be going over the speed limit all the time but there has to be some law...i always think when im driving on the highway that they should increase the speed limit becuase every is always going 10mph over the speed limit anyway...but if they raised it from 50 to 60....then people would be going 70 instead of 60...i know you think some people are more capable to drive faster then others which is true...but wut about the other people that arent? nervous drivers, old people that cant react fast at all and barely can see, and then the young teenage assholes who just got their license that are careless and stupid(which i was at one time)...if its one thing my father always told me when it came to driving his cars that i now understand being a lil older is that...its not you that im worried about, its all the other assholes on the road...so basically just like camarospike sed, what if your driving 110mph and some asshole runs a light or changes lanes without looking and crosses your path going 110mph? ever think of that? these are the reason we have speed limits to begin with...shit if i was flying on the highway 110mph i would be shitting a brick scared that someone was gonna cut me off...you can control what u do but u can never control or predict what another is gonna do.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:38 PM   #19
spi

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS
Send a message via MSN to spi Send a message via Yahoo to spi
i like the idea, but i think it would have to be in specific areas, not everywhere

VIN# 2G1FK1EJ0A9106637
spi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:38 PM   #20
The Boat
His seafaringness

It would be easy to devote an interstate lane.... just use the far left lane.. replace carpool with it too. Im not saying accidents wont happen. They happen now and they always will. When someone doesn't look then they are at fault now.... they would be then in that scenario too and they'd have to pay alot if they survived.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:42 PM   #21
The Boat
His seafaringness

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightmareSS View Post
LOL this has to be the dumbest question ever...no offense or anything but come on seriously? I mean i like to drive fast and ill be going over the speed limit all the time but there has to be some law...i always think when im driving on the highway that they should increase the speed limit becuase every is always going 10mph over the speed limit anyway...but if they raised it from 50 to 60....then people would be going 70 instead of 60...i know you think some people are more capable to drive faster then others which is true...but wut about the other people that arent? nervous drivers, old people that cant react fast at all and barely can see, and then the young teenage assholes who just got their license that are careless and stupid(which i was at one time)...if its one thing my father always told me when it came to driving his cars that i now understand being a lil older is that...its not you that im worried about, its all the other assholes on the road...so basically just like camarospike sed, what if your driving 110mph and some asshole runs a light or changes lanes without looking and crosses your path going 110mph? ever think of that? these are the reason we have speed limits to begin with...shit if i was flying on the highway 110mph i would be shitting a brick scared that someone was gonna cut me off...you can control what u do but u can never control or predict what another is gonna do.

I know... sooo whats you point? They already tell you never drive faster than you feel safe in driving school. I'm not saying ppl should go 150 in an other wise 30mph commercial zone... But if your going 110 on a deserted freeway at night there is no way you should get a ticket. If u were caught you would probably get arrested hardcore. Buuuuut..... I've seen cops go flying by me at 110 when i was in a car that was going 90. They weren't on a call either...
Old 03-29-2009, 09:44 PM   #22
19K3SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Hey how about this, don't try to talk down to me like I'm an idiot. I partly agreed with you, yet saying one would be more likely to hit that kid going 145mph in a residential zone than if he was doing the speed limit of 25mph. So there should be speed limits. You then, agreed saying 145mph zones would be neat, but not in residential areas. So you agree that there should be speed limits in areas such as that?
And if I read the poll correctly, you created the poll, and therefore the options are 1- No speed limits, 2- anyone deemed qualified and "not a moron" can disobey any posted speed limit, 3- "i like to drive slow" because some of us feel that a highway setting is feasible whereas we feel no matter how qualified you were 6mo-1yr ago to get your license, there should be some limit when in a residential zone.
There'd be more possibility of people being able to agree with you, if the options were a bit better worded, and then explained properly.
19K3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:45 PM   #23
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
dumb poll.

Where is the "there should be select roads where qualified drivers can bypass a speedlimit" option?
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:46 PM   #24
NightmareSS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 92 300zx 2001 Ram
to add one more thing kind of like what lil chef said...if they had a couple of express lanes devoted to this kind of thing it could work...but the problem with that is that there isnt always room to add 2 lanes, and to take 2 lanes away from a 4 lane highway would just cause insane traffic for the original 2 lanes...just buy a radar and go as fast as u want
Old 03-29-2009, 09:48 PM   #25
19K3SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorBlue371 View Post
dumb poll.

Where is the "there should be select roads where qualified drivers can bypass a speedlimit" option?
that would be a much better choice than being able to ignore any speed limit anywhere, or no speedlimits at all. essentially the point i was also trying to make, just not as many words
19K3SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:51 PM   #26
StuMac

Drives: 2010 CMG 2SS
None of the above. I feel the speed limits should be standardized based on number of lanes, how highly it's quality is maintained, and location (city, suburban, MoFN). Speed limits seem to be hit or miss, with some places on the same highway with the same number of lanes in the same type of population density (MoFN) have two different speed limits. You should be able to figure out the speed limit by the feel of the road, number of lanes and looking around at how few houses are around. Right now it's some arbitrary number decided by a town council that wants it's police to be able to get more speeding fines.

* MoFN: Middle of F***ing Nowhere.

Cyber gray!
StuMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:53 PM   #27
tjbusa
Serious Sleeper

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
I didn't vote on this poll because I saw no clear choice. I can go fast be it at a track or on the street and get the "gotta go fast" out of my system fairly quickly, and then I'm content with highway speed limits. I would be in favor of a toll road autobahn preferably east coast to west coast, wouldn't that be a hoot.
tjbusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:53 PM   #28
The Boat
His seafaringness

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19K3SS View Post
Hey how about this, don't try to talk down to me like I'm an idiot. I partly agreed with you, yet saying one would be more likely to hit that kid going 145mph in a residential zone than if he was doing the speed limit of 25mph. So there should be speed limits. You then, agreed saying 145mph zones would be neat, but not in residential areas. So you agree that there should be speed limits in areas such as that?
And if I read the poll correctly, you created the poll, and therefore the options are 1- No speed limits, 2- anyone deemed qualified and "not a moron" can disobey any posted speed limit, 3- "i like to drive slow" because some of us feel that a highway setting is feasible whereas we feel no matter how qualified you were 6mo-1yr ago to get your license, there should be some limit when in a residential zone.
There'd be more possibility of people being able to agree with you, if the options were a bit better worded, and then explained properly.
No I don't think there should be a limit in a residential zone. All i'm saying is I don't think it would be smart to drive 145 in that zone, however... I feel that liability laws can solve the problem more effectively. A lotus elise going 45 can probably stop faster than some huge suv going 25 even when reaction time is factored in. speed limits are arbitrary. There is no right number.. all they represent is a specific risk preference at best... if we assume all people and all cars are only at risk based on speed and no other factors play a role.... We really don't need speed limits... maybe a suggestion but nothing nonnegotiable... suggestion and f license and liability will do the trick.

Hey how about this.... you think for youself instead of spouting things that people accept only because they were programmed to through socialization...