Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-16-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Drives: 2010 Inferno Orange Camaro SS/RS
need help!!! disconnected the bcm and now car wont start

working on light install on a 2012 camaro i unpluged the bcm then pluged it back in and now it wont start dash lights come on but it wont turn over.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicave13@gmail.com View Post
working on light install on a 2012 camaro i unpluged the bcm then pluged it back in and now it wont start dash lights come on but it wont turn over.
It may have put itself into Transport Mode. That happened to mine. Disconnect the battery for AT LEAST 10 minutes and then reconnect.
See if the BCM and ECM re-establish their handshaking and the problem goes away.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:59 PM   #3
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

we tried and no luck...
Old 06-16-2012, 05:35 PM   #4
Parag

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS LS3
When people do the fuse pull the leave it out overnight. So it probably just needs more tine for the capacitors to discharge. Just pulling the ecm fuse should do it, but disconnect the battery in the trunk, not the spot under hood. Altough the spot under hood should work too.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:05 AM   #5
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Lesson learned, do not listen to others advice. Pulling of any chassis wiring with battery connection is not advised. Nothing worked, power and ground overnight, pulled all BCM and ECM fuses over night, attempting to put in or out of Transport mode or trying to reprogram computer. No dome light, no power locks and dash lights go out when put in start position. Getting towed, warranty will cover any and all mistakes...
nicave13@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:27 AM   #6
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parag View Post
When people do the fuse pull the leave it out overnight. So it probably just needs more tine for the capacitors to discharge. Just pulling the ecm fuse should do it, but disconnect the battery in the trunk, not the spot under hood. Altough the spot under hood should work too.
fuse pull is the ECM, OP disconnected the BCM. And disconnecting the positive terminal under the hood won't do you any good. You need to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:02 PM   #7
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Agree. All avenues tried except touching underhood power point. At the shop now, will see the final word. I'm betting a relay or two got fried in the security VAPS systems...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
fuse pull is the ECM, OP disconnected the BCM. And disconnecting the positive terminal under the hood won't do you any good. You need to disconnect the negative terminal on the battery.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicave13@gmail.com View Post

Per my internal resources, if bcm was unplugged with the battery hooked up it could induce voltage spike. We advise to verify if bcm is able to communicate with dealership scan tool. Try reflashing module, if there is no change, the bcm would need to be replaced by dealership. This is a Global A vehicle and should be serviced by the dealer.

I hope this was helpful.

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 06-23-2012, 11:40 PM   #9
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Very helpful, the local dealer is agreeing for now. They looked at Tuesday morning, decided to order a new BCM. Part did not arrive so we are playing the waiting game. I am sincerely hoping it fixes it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Per my internal resources, if bcm was unplugged with the battery hooked up it could induce voltage spike. We advise to verify if bcm is able to communicate with dealership scan tool. Try reflashing module, if there is no change, the bcm would need to be replaced by dealership. This is a Global A vehicle and should be serviced by the dealer.

I hope this was helpful.

Brandon
Old 06-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Thank you for the compliment. Please keep me updated as how your dealership service went. I am looking forward to your reply.

Brandon
Old 06-28-2012, 01:36 AM   #11
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

I wish I had better news. Part arrived Monday, I was told dealership tried to "program" it "online"... Somehow it had a voltage spike and to was fried. They said they would order another and have somebody better try and program it. Hoping for news soon, but not hopeful at this point.

Side note, I still can't believe I tried this, listening to another's advice. I did it the easy way on my own car, found wire in 1 sec and tapped in 5. All this for nothing really. Life throws us lots of lessons. Unfortunately our car club Pres. is paying the price and missing his 45th Aniv. edition SS/RS and two events so far.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #12
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

Car is finally back. 9 days at the shop, replaced BCM and reprogrammed. All covered under warranty. Wired up the lights the way I knew how, works like a champ. All is good, thanks everyone for the help.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:05 AM   #13
MJ

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
I know this is old post, but if BCM needs to be replaced, the replacement BCM would need to be programmed once installed in the car?
MJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:17 AM   #14
nicave13@gmail.com
LED god

It does need to be programmed for the car, inside idk. They messed up the first and got another. Had GM remote program from somewhere??? All warranty thank god. Lesson def learned, neveer disconnect with batt hooked up or EVER cut one of the body wires. I splice for dome signal, not cut. No interupt or voltage spikes. Use diode to protect.