Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-12-2014, 08:21 PM   #1
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
It's On Like Donkey Kong - Ready To Buy or Order (sort of)

Hey all,

First off, it's my birthday!
38 circuits around our Sun, it's been interesting to say the least.

Second off, after really thinking about what is going to fit both my wants/dreams/desires/realistic needs I am set on a 2014 Camaro! If you have not read my Member Introduction post, I was set on a classic Buick Grand National, but garage situation has changed. I just cannot have a weekend summer warrior. But I will not be denied!

I can garage the car at home, but will have to drive in winter. That's fine with me. I want this 5th gen Camaro. I am steeped in Camaro/small block chevy lore and I love the history and what GM has done with the re-introduction. An Infiniti Q50? I am passing, I want that V-8 rumble.

To that end, two unresolved issues are at hand:
1.) Can we clear up this AFM issue? Some posters here (I spent 2 hours reading threads last night) claim it's silly and ridiculous. Judging by how many have voided their warranty (allegedly) by tuning it out I guess it's that bad. Except other drivers don't seem to care. I am not idling this car or showing it to my Scientist geeky friends with their stupid hybrids to save the environment this car on 4 cylinders. Which is it?

2.) I want the LS3 manual, but I have not driven a manual in about 13 years and the most powerful car I had was not powerful at all. Is this car driveable, manual, in the snow? Not 9 inches etc but just snowy roads? Honest answers and skip the "why drive in snow?" angle. I get it, I have to. If I didn't have to I would be going in another direction for a garage queen (king?).

Thanks again to everyone here, what a great resource and community.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:33 PM   #2
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
If you are getting a manual you will not have AFM issues. AFM only comes on the automatics.

AFM sucks but can be easily defeated with the Range device, which will not effect the warranty. The Range is a plug and play device that connects to your OBD port - 5 seconds to install/remove.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:38 PM   #3
TxBandit911
Call Me"Doc"

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS 1LE BLACK
I have a '14 1LE and have driven it in the snow a couple times, not really fun, and rather slow going, but doable....
TxBandit911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #4
ZL1 Spoked

Drives: Camaro ZL1
manual>auto

604 RWHP 602 LBS/TQ
ZL1 Spoked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 08:43 PM   #5
Muscle Car Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerGA View Post
If you are getting a manual you will not have AFM issues. AFM only comes on the automatics.

AFM sucks but can be easily defeated with the Range device, which will not effect the warranty. The Range is a plug and play device that connects to your OBD port - 5 seconds to install/remove.
Saw multiple threads on the Range, maybe I missed the newest ones, but this is cleared for the 2014? Post links, I work close now but the science mecca of Cambridge awaits when I change jobs probably = Heavy traffic auto preferred
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Old 03-12-2014, 08:46 PM   #6
Del's12SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS Convertible
AFM does not bother ME.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #7
whan

Drives: 2014 1SS/1LE
Clutch on this car is definitely a performance car's clutch. Bite point is high and somewhat small, feel is almost like a two stage trigger. Soft from the bottom until the clutch is right about to bite and then extra springy. I borrowed my buddy's Audi A5 for an hour and it was certainly much more forgiving. But, as with all things you get used to it pretty quickly
whan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 10:21 PM   #8
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
I just wanted to stick my head in and say I'm glad you'll be in a position to get a 5th gen. It's an awesome car.

My clutch is different, I don't have AFM, and I'm in the South, so unfortunately I'm no help on your questions. But the guys who have commented seem to be on it. Good luck.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:45 PM   #9
SS376

Drives: 2013 1SS LS3
As has been said, winter tires. And treat it with respect.
SS376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 12:58 AM   #10
thkfast

Drives: '14 Red 2SS/RS/LS3
I've driven both automatics and manuals in the snow and an automatic is definately easier - it's one less thing to juggle when you're white knuckling it. But, the truth is, automatics are easier at doing everything.

YOU WILL NEED A DEDICATED SET OF 4 SNOW TIRES/WHEELS for use during winter and that will make more of a difference than which transmission you pick.

You also stated you "want that V8 rumble" and one of the most popular options is only available on the manual - the NPP Dual Mode Performance Exhaust. That alone would sway some people towards the manual.

Here in Iowa, most of us have "winter beaters" - basically a throw away $2,000 vehicle you don't love and don't mind crashing through deep piles of snow - it can sit outside while your baby rests peacefully in the garage. I think of it as a complete vehicle for a little more than the cost of a set of winter tires/wheels. Once you cross the winter driving dilema off your list of concerns, it boils down to just buying the Camaro you want!

Good luck, let us know your thoughts.
thkfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:01 AM   #11
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
I have a convertible 2SS/RS on order--a manual, thank you. It will be a daily driver. So, I understand that I will be spending $2000 on a second set of wheels with winter tires this fall. I'd do this for any new car then drive away. If you've never driven on winters in snow and ice, it really is quite a revelation. The Camaro will be no problem with this set up.

Get the manual. Otherwise, you'll be sorry.

One more thing....

I will never buy a car with cylinder deactivation. GM had a disaster with it when they tried it on Cadillacs in the 80's and Honda is currently in the process of settling a class action lawsuit on their "VCM" design. I'm close to this one as my daughter owns a vehicle affected by this suit. To sum it up, the computers are now smart enough to make it happen but they're not smart enough to change the laws of physics. This makes very interesting reading. When you understand the great lengths Honda's legal team went to to redefine the issue and limit its exposure, it is clear they have serious design issues they want covered up. Are GM's engineers smarter than Honda's? I'm not taking that risk. Remember, this "technology" is a design path engineers would NEVER choose of their own accord. It is being forced on them by governmental regulations calling for ever higher mileage standards. One reason I bought what I bought now is, a powerful V8 like the LS3 will be regulated out of existence within my lifetime and I want one in my garage when that happens.

http://settlement-claims.com/enginemisfire/Notice.html

Last edited by Indydriver; 03-13-2014 at 04:17 AM.
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 05:51 AM   #12
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
Stick shift will be better in the snow if you are good at it. You can use compression braking to control speed even slow down slightly on hill's. YOU NEED SNOW TIRES good set snow tires maybe even on winter rims and not a staggered set up so you can rotate them each year. They will pay for them self by prolonging the life of your summer tires and you can wear summer tires down more if you don't have to worry about using them in the snow. It is always a gamble up here you can have a winter like this one that's terrible to drive in or one like 2 or 3 years ago when we got under 20 inches of snow around here. I have a pick up as my daily driver but only need 4 wheel drive when i leave for work at 4 am and the side roads are not plowed yet.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 06:36 AM   #13
Muscle Car Lover

You are all great and thanks for all the input.

Yes, a winter set of rims and dedicated tires (blizzaks) are on the purchase list for this car. Lucklily will have the car a long time before snow comes again so I think I will get used to the manual again. Exciting times. Now to figure out what options to get.....

Old 03-13-2014, 06:45 AM   #14
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrando View Post
The SS will come with summer tires. You will need a set of winter tires for the snow.
DO NOT UNDERESTIMATE THIS RECOMMENDATION!! This is not a suggestion. The SS is the very next thing to useless in any amount of snow with the standard summer-only tires.

It should be pasted on the window of the car in any dealer that's in a northern climate. Either get dedicated snow tires (like I did, which work great) or replace the summer-only tires with all-seasons. Completely different car with dedicated snow tires. Zero problems in the snow but feels like you're driving on gummy-bears when the roads are dry and temps are a little warmer.
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote