Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-17-2014, 07:32 AM   #1
iPODFAN11

Drives: 2019 Shock ZL1
2014 Camaro is Home!

So...its not mine per say, its my brother's car...

Anywho...my brother finally has picked up his ordered 2014 Camaro two days ago. White, 1SS with Recaros, L99.

Now...related to the car, this question is targeted to those who have implanted pacemakers or defibrillators...

How many members with said item implanted drive a Camaro? I ask this because I know that the seatbelt guide strap happens to be magnetically held in place and those with an implanted device should distance from magnets. I guess my worry is if I were to sit in the seat, back against it that it would be too close to the strap. My ICD is left upper chest near the collar bone. I mean, I could sit up and away from it...or just stay in the passenger seat. Not fun if a 22 year old can't drive it!

Hopefully some of you have a device and could chime in...oh...and pics are on the way...I promise!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather View Post
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Once that's done....................
iPODFAN11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:36 AM   #2
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by iPODFAN11 View Post
So...its not mine per say, its my brother's car...

Anywho...my brother finally has picked up his ordered 2014 Camaro two days ago. White, 1SS with Recaros, L99.

Now...related to the car, this question is targeted to those who have implanted pacemakers or defibrillators...

How many members with said item implanted drive a Camaro? I ask this because I know that the seatbelt guide strap happens to be magnetically held in place and those with an implanted device should distance from magnets. I guess my worry is if I were to sit in the seat, back against it that it would be too close to the strap. My ICD is left upper chest near the collar bone. I mean, I could sit up and away from it...or just stay in the passenger seat. Not fun if a 22 year old can't drive it!

Hopefully some of you have a device and could chime in...oh...and pics are on the way...I promise!!!
Just remove the magnet buddy. All it does is make the seatbelt easier to grab when you get in. If I was your brother I'd cut it off for you.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:05 AM   #3
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
The magnet is the size of a "household" sized magnet. it is, with all likelihood, too small and weak to interfere with a pacemaker / ICD. Just like the newer microwave ovens don't pose the risk the old ones from the 1970's and 1980's did. HOWEVER, if in doubt, contact your cardiologist just to be safe. It's worth the time and effort.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:27 AM   #4
iPODFAN11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYROLYSIS View Post
Just remove the magnet buddy. All it does is make the seatbelt easier to grab when you get in. If I was your brother I'd cut it off for you.
Those Recaros are too nice to mess with lol...Does the magnet remove easily or is it part of the seat?

Quote:
we're certainly looking at it -- but right now, the emphasis MUST be on getting the Camaro V6 and SS out -- and having it exceed your expectations....

Old 04-17-2014, 10:20 AM   #5
Evergreen6

Drives: 2023 Camaro 1SS
Check with your cardiologist for sure, but the magnet on that seatbelt loop is relatively weak. Think about if he's ever next to a speaker for a computer sound system, or a home theater system. Those are much bigger and much stronger magnets in those cases, and I don't recall those posing a threat to people with implants.
Evergreen6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:27 PM   #6
Del's12SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS/RS Convertible
Interesting question. Thanks.
I will ask my wife the cardiology nurse, it will make good discussion tonight at dinner.
I hope it works out for you.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
iPODFAN11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen6 View Post
Check with your cardiologist for sure, but the magnet on that seatbelt loop is relatively weak. Think about if he's ever next to a speaker for a computer sound system, or a home theater system. Those are much bigger and much stronger magnets in those cases, and I don't recall those posing a threat to people with implants.

Yea true. Heck, I mean 99% of cars have side impact bags in the seats and power motors and whatnot and I am in cars like that day in and day out. Obviously I can't hang under an engine bay as alternators produce quite a magnetic field. I can wear earbuds as well as they are far enough away. I'll probably check with the docs to be sure. I still want to drive his car sometimes lol so I would rather be safe than sorry. My implant is just a defibrillator and having one for the past 8 years I have come to know my boundaries quite well.

Quote: